1. 1. What Internal Arts Do You Teach?

• Taijiquan
    • Xingyiquan
    • Baguazhang
    • Yiquan
    • Liuhebafa
    • Qigong
    • Daoist Meditation

White Tiger's recent thread about practicing internal arts made me want to discuss the natural extension of that which is teaching the internal arts.

What do you teach?

I'll start -

I primarily teach Taijiquan and Qigong. My major personal practice includes Taijiquan, Qigong, and Daoist meditation.

I also practice and assist in instructing Xingyiquan and Baguazhang but they are secondary for me.

Perhaps this might be a thread where we can discuss teaching the internal arts.

The frustrations and rewards. Ideas for drills. Ways to keep it fresh and interesting.

Anything.

It's been fascinating experience for me.

For those of you who practice and have thought of teaching and have the opportunity - DO IT!

I feel like my own Taijiquan skills and understanding have improved dramatically as a direct result of my teaching responsibilities. My own teacher maintains that there are a number of steps to achieving mastery in Taijiquan and other internal arts.

First we obviously have to practice diligently and properly for a long period of time. No matter how long we practice, however, that will only take us so far.

Second, we have to incorporate meditation into our training method. Certain aspects of Taijiquan will only be achieved with proficiency in meditation.

Third, we must gain experience in teaching to reach our highest potential. There is a deeper investigation that takes place when we are forced to help others understand. When learning ourself, we only need to look at the material in one way - the way that makes the most sense to us as individuals. When teaching, we need to look at the material from the perspectives of all of our students and we need to find ways that help them to understand. This necessarily leads to a deeper understanding for us. Furthermore, our students will raise questions that may never otherwise occur to us. Ultimately this results in a wider and deeper knowledge base and a higher level of confidence.

Anyone care to discuss any aspects of teaching the internal arts?

Respectfully, I have two problems with this poll:

1)Those are not the only internal taoist martial arts in existence...

2) I can only pick one

I teach Mao Shan Pai martial arts, Qigong, Neigong and meditation.

Here is what I posted in the other current martial arts thread...

When I was young I tried a few external martial arts... Karate, Chung Moo Quan, Thai Boxing... But I always felt something was missing. I really wanted something that took care of spiritual, metaphysical and emotional...

I was drawn to Mao Shan Pai Spirit Fighting because primarily it was metaphysically very powerful. The forms are actually shamanic talismans that are traced with the hands and feet inside a Pa Kua which summon different dieties or cosmic forces. This power was used to change their energy bodies to enable them for OBE's and banishing negative energies... Physical Self defense is a wonderful by product but is not the primary motivation. Ironically, for myself, (just my experience) I have yet to find another art that is faster, deadlier or more effective in a self defense situation. Since the chi power is so intense, I find that winding down my workout with Tai Chi and/or primordial Tai Chi to be very helpful in absorbing the cosmic energies into my tendons and bones ... Otherwise, the energy is so intense that if it is not reabsorbed back into the body and energy channels, that it can make one a little loopy.

It is also my experience that the power of my meditations is increased exponentially after my spirit fighting workouts...

So for me the primary reasons are for

1: Cultivation

2: Health

3: Self-Defense

Edited by fiveelementtao

I teach Burning Palm System, Primordial Chaos One Chi Palm, 18 Internal Pushing Palm system, White Eyebrow and other rare systems.

Ape

I share what I know with my family close friends who are interested in what I myself have learned.

Buddhist study and meditation, nei gong and zhan zhuang.

I don't charge anything at all. It just pleases me that I can help others develop themselves physically,mentally and spiritually.

Respectfully, I have two problems with this poll:

1)Those are not the only internal taoist martial arts in existence...

2) I can only pick one

I teach Mao Shan Pai martial arts, Qigong, Neigong and meditation.

Here is what I posted in the other current martial arts thread...

When I was young I tried a few external martial arts... Karate, Chung Moo Quan, Thai Boxing... But I always felt something was missing. I really wanted something that took care of spiritual, metaphysical and emotional...

I was drawn to Mao Shan Pai Spirit Fighting because primarily it was metaphysically very powerful. The forms are actually shamanic talismans that are traced with the hands and feet inside a Pa Kua which summon different dieties or cosmic forces. This power was used to change their energy bodies to enable them for OBE's and banishing negative energies... Physical Self defense is a wonderful by product but is not the primary motivation. Ironically, for myself, (just my experience) I have yet to find another art that is faster, deadlier or more effective in a self defense situation. Since the chi power is so intense, I find that winding down my workout with Tai Chi and/or primordial Tai Chi to be very helpful in absorbing the cosmic energies into my tendons and bones ... Otherwise, the energy is so intense that if it is not reabsorbed back into the body and energy channels, that it can make one a little loopy.

It is also my experience that the power of my meditations is increased exponentially after my spirit fighting workouts...

So for me the primary reasons are for

1: Cultivation

2: Health

3: Self-Defense

When you say primordial tai chi do you mean something like the primordial qigong that Winn teaches? It is called tai chi by some people for some reason. Just curious as I do it myself a bit.

When you say primordial tai chi do you mean something like the primordial qigong that Winn teaches? It is called tai chi by some people for some reason. Just curious as I do it myself a bit.

Yes... the same form that Winn teaches. Some people call it "Tai Chi for Enlightenment" I think for two reasons: 1) the opening move looks similar to the the opening for Tai Chi. 2) Because alot of people don't know the difference between the words "Tai Chi" and "Qigong". That's the way it is out here in Idaho. When most people say "Tai Chi" out here what they really mean is Qigong...

I don't charge anything at all. It just pleases me that I can help others develop themselves physically,mentally and spiritually.

Very admirable.

btw,

Lots of other famous internal martial arts like Bajiquan.

Sign in to follow this