Ohm-Nei

KYMATICA

(Part 6)

Most of the members know me as a "troll".

I don't mind really, I must admit, I am more interested in the metaphysical aspects of western medicine and culture that I am in actually learning how to perform them. I'm a knowledge sponge and I think I'd rather die then stop learning about who I really am.

Now, the good part, for me at least...

The past 2 months have been drenched in question for me and I have successfully built up an idea of who I am and how important I am, and what is going on in this world.

I had my opinions set, i fealt as if i had a damn good idea of who I am, what we are, and what is wrong with out world.

Those ideas were in place BEFORE I watched KYMATICA, (currently at part 3 of 9)

Here are the links, nobody should blow this off, this KYMATICA.... documentary? idk what you'd call it, this thing has been NAILING every single aspect of my thoughts, I hope everyone can enjoy it as much as i am right now.

Now up to part 6 of 9, IF YOU DONT HAVE TIME TO WATCH IT ALL, WATCH AT LEAST PART 6

Before I saw the movie I really diden't think I was going to like it at all, although it did turn out a bit different.. I still dont love it, most of the documentaries in the (theory perspective) are to in your face "think like this".

Edited by NeiChuan

Amazingly dreadful. I got through the first three and a half minutes before the alleged science became too fucking silly to even take seriously. The narrator sounds like he's just entering puberty, and the first quote is by St. Augustine, one of the most repressed personalities to have ever walked the earth.

I'll take Ken Wilber's "A Theory of Everything" for the sake of brevity and insight.

Amazingly dreadful. I got through the first three and a half minutes before the alleged science became too fucking silly to even take seriously. The narrator sounds like he's just entering puberty, and the first quote is by St. Augustine, one of the most repressed personalities to have ever walked the earth.

I'll take Ken Wilber's "A Theory of Everything" for the sake of brevity and insight.

Maybe the boards would understand where I'm coming from better if they understood that I'm still a kid, I'm 17 years old I'm learning about the world, new knowledge is fascinating to me, and I fear what I do not yet know.

I feel that it is necessary for me to speak my mind, for my own growth. You can reply and try to lead me in the right direction, but you must understand that even though this sounds like bullshit to you, it's amazing to me because it has opened my eyes to my current world.

Maybe your eyes were opened up over the years, I don't know, but to be totally honest, I'm already over it, I appreciate your post regardless. I would appreciate it if you could understand our disposition.

It's very interesting, I watched part 6 and will watch the whole thing. It's not dreadful or stupid. I applaud your explorations, especially since you're 17. Impressive. Keep following your own light, don't be influenced by naysayers.

Blasto's out of line, he didn't even watch it and he's offering his silly "criticism". If someone wants to comment, watch it and make an intelligent criticism.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Ohm-Nei, my brother/sister,

Your desire for knowledge is indeed honorable and I think all of us encourage your seeking. But, I would like to try and help you understand why some of us respond less than enthusiastically to your posts...

Instead of trying to get everyone else to "understand" you, a better question to ask yourself is why people react to your posts this way....

The first post of yours I saw was you saying that you were on the verge of understanding the Universe and you were open to all questions... I suspected that you were getting your inspiration from Marijuana...

You are 17. When I was 17, I was smoking alot of pot and thinking I was coming to understand the nature of the Universe. I am 46 now, and I was very wrong... I had no clue what was going on. I see myself in you. Others probably do as well...

( I do not speak for the moderators or for all of taoism, this is just my take on things...)

This is a taoist forum and all are welcome... However, I think you may have a misconception as to what taoism is. Taoism is not just a new age philosophy where we think deep thoughts and throw around intellectual ideas.

There are some on this forum who would disagree with me, but I suspect they are mostly people who have never undergone any formal taoist practice, or are only interested in reading books...

Most people in the west who are not familiar with taoism think it is just a spiritual philosophy. and while there is a deep philosophical aspect to taoism, that philosophy has always been traditionally inextricably linked with proving our ideas through practical experience. It's great to think about things but for me as a taoist, but if it cannot be translated and proven through experience, it just mental masturbation and actually hinders my spiritual progress (for me).

That is why there is so much talk on this forum about energy work. Taoist energy practices and martial arts are experience based. In other words, talk is cheap. Instead of getting excited about ideas, we prefer to have our minds expanded through the experience of energetic practice and meditation and then talk about it. You sort of have it the other way around... You want to talk about stuff, but have no interest inproving it through experience.

You yourself said...

"I must admit, I am more interested in the metaphysical aspects of western medicine and culture that I am in actually learning how to perform them."

You have also mentioned that you sometimes use drugs for your intellectual inspiration. My experience is that kind of intellectual inspiration is useless, because pot smoking induced enlightenment tends to keep people locked in their minds and away from practical experience (besides all the other negative impacts it has on your health.

So, my suggestion is if you want to make the best of this forum, instead of telling everyone how enlightened you are, if you instead ask how to apply it through taoist methods, you will get a much better response from people...

As I said, you are welcome to stay here and post anything you want.

My personal suggestion is to get out more, smell the fresh air, make more friends and have fun. Staying home smoking pot, hiding begind a computer screen and thinking about the problems of the world will get you nowhere... If I was 17 again, knowing what I know now, I would be seeking out masters to train with and/or looking for girls... Maybe take up a taoist martial art get some exercise and get out of your head... (worked for me). Then come back on this forum and tell us what you've learned through experience...

Maybe the boards would understand where I'm coming from better if they understood that I'm still a kid, I'm 17 years old I'm learning about the world, new knowledge is fascinating to me, and I fear what I do not yet know.

I feel that it is necessary for me to speak my mind, for my own growth. You can reply and try to lead me in the right direction, but you must understand that even though this sounds like bullshit to you, it's amazing to me because it has opened my eyes to my current world.

Maybe your eyes were opened up over the years, I don't know, but to be totally honest, I'm already over it, I appreciate your post regardless. I would appreciate it if you could understand our disposition.

Edited by fiveelementtao

Your desire for knowledge is indeed honorable and I think all of us encourage your seeking. But, I would like to try and help you understand why some of us respond less than enthusiastically to your posts...

Instead of trying to get everyone else to "understand" you, a better question to ask yourself is why people react to your posts this way....

The first post of yours I saw was you saying that you were on the verge of understanding the Universe and you were open to all questions... I suspected that you were getting your inspiration from Marijuana...

You are 17. When I was 17, I was smoking alot of pot and thinking I was coming to understand the nature of the Universe. I am 46 now, and I was very wrong... I had no clue what was going on. I see myself in you. Others probably do as well...

( I do not speak for the moderators or for all of taoism, this is just my take on things...)

This is a taoist forum and all are welcome... However, I think you may have a misconception as to what taoism is. Taoism is not just a new age philosophy where we think deep thoughts and throw around intellectual ideas.

There are some on this forum who would disagree with me, but I suspect they are mostly people who have never undergone any formal taoist practice, or are only interested in reading books...

Most people in the west who are not familiar with taoism think it is just a spiritual philosophy. and while there is a deep philosophical aspect to taoism, that philosophy has always been traditionally inextricably linked with proving our ideas through practical experience. It's great to think about things but for me as a taoist, but if it cannot be translated and proven through experience, it just mental masturbation and actually hinders my spiritual progress (for me).

That is why there is so much talk on this forum about energy work. Taoist energy practices and martial arts are experience based. In other words, talk is cheap. Instead of getting excited about ideas, we prefer to have our minds expanded through the experience of energetic practice and meditation and then talk about it. You sort of have it the other way around... You want to talk about stuff, but have no interest inproving it through experience.

You yourself said...

"I must admit, I am more interested in the metaphysical aspects of western medicine and culture that I am in actually learning how to perform them."

You have also mentioned that you sometimes use drugs for your intellectual inspiration. My experience is that kind of intellectual inspiration is useless, because pot smoking induced enlightenment tends to keep people locked in their minds and away from practical experience (besides all the other negative impacts it has on your health.

So, my suggestion is if you want to make the best of this forum, instead of telling everyone how enlightened you are, if you instead ask how to apply it through taoist methods, you will get a much better response from people...

My personal suggestion is to get out more, smell the fresh air, make more friends and have fun. Staying home smoking pot, hiding begind a computer screen and thinking about the problems of the world will get you nowhere... If I was 17 again, knowing what I know now, I would be seeking out masters to train with and/or looking for girls... Maybe take up a taoist martial art get some exercise and get out of your head... (worked for me). Then come back on this forum and tell us what you've learned through experience...

How dare you, 5 Element, for stealing my thunder!! Seriously, I had two drafts already prepared in response to Ohm's Oratories, but I held off in order to let the emotional content subside.

I was one of the most disempowered 17 year-olds one could imagine. A pothead, beginning alcoholic, high-school dropout and a runaway, who ended up in the USAF only to bring my alcoholism to fruition. But, I was one of the lucky ones, and sobered up before I was 22. My life has been characterized by profound self-sabotage and tremendous adventure, and I still managed to squeeze out a master's degree to boot.

Everyone here familiar with the psychological dynamic known as projection? When you have a disproportionately negative reaction to the comments and behaviors of specific individuals? That's how I define my relationship to Ohm's ideas. I find them loathesome and contemptible, because they are so much a part of my own character that I so desperately wish to resolve within my own self.

Let's start with the avatar. "Passive." One could not conceive of a state of mind that is more antithetical to the principles of Taoism. Taoism is about cultivating a life of radical independence and self-sufficiency, about situational awareness, be that in the kitchen, the classroom, or on the mat. Please, my young friend, dump the Passive Banner. I once thought that the world would recognize my gentle and peace-loving manner and shower me with kisses, sweetness and light. It won't. Passivity is the lifestyle of a doormat. As Ghandi said, it takes balls to be peaceful. Cowards can never be moral. I've lived like a doormat. People get sick of it real fast.

Drop the disclaimer. To enter into a forum with the express purpose of engaging others in dialogue is the implicit understanding that we are here to test the veracity of our views with others. It is part of the joy in the life of the mind. If you want to contribute, do so, but don't counsel us on how we should react to your notions.

I have lived most of my life without the internet (I'm almost 50). People just aren't learning how to write on their feet anymore. Online forums encourage sloppy writing, sloppy thinking, confusion, misunderstanding, and equivocation of all kinds. I think you younger folks are going to have to work a lot harder at cultivating writing skills if you end up seeing them eroded by too much online posting, but I could be wrong (I guess it depends on how good a writer you are in the first place).

I would heartily encourage you to take three years out and become a gym rat. Get yourself grounded physically. Get yourself comfortable in situations that may seem too intimidating at this time and you will discover a liberty, a lightness of being, that obliterates fear and anxiety. Learn how to RELAX!! Muscles are the badges of the soul, and nobody can take them away from you, no matter how smart or wealthy they may be.

Chi is the food of the soul. Embrace Horse for 30 minutes a day, get a solid nei kung practice under your belt, and put a sock in your metaphysical pie hole. By the time you're 20 you will be ready for anything (and may end up putting many of us to shame).

Good luck.

Jeez, sherab...did you even watch it?

Believe it or not, one can actually get educated and experienced and knowledgable enough to recognize differences in the quality of information, providing that your curiosity and love of learning does not fade. Of course, if you think your mental universe won't evolve between now and 30 years from now, then this may not be your experience.

(Part 6)

Most of the members know me as a "troll".

I don't mind really, I must admit, I am more interested in the metaphysical aspects of western medicine and culture that I am in actually learning how to perform them. I'm a knowledge sponge and I think I'd rather die then stop learning about who I really am.

Now, the good part, for me at least...

The past 2 months have been drenched in question for me and I have successfully built up an idea of who I am and how important I am, and what is going on in this world.

I had my opinions set, i fealt as if i had a damn good idea of who I am, what we are, and what is wrong with out world.

Those ideas were in place BEFORE I watched KYMATICA, (currently at part 3 of 9)

Here are the links, nobody should blow this off, this KYMATICA.... documentary? idk what you'd call it, this thing has been NAILING every single aspect of my thoughts, I hope everyone can enjoy it as much as i am right now.

Now up to part 6 of 9, IF YOU DONT HAVE TIME TO WATCH IT ALL, WATCH AT LEAST PART 6

I watched it a while back and have enjoyed it.

You yourself said...

I'm with you, I thought I knew what the hell I was talking about when I was doing Marry Jane, but now, I'm even more lost. I'm 25 now.

You yourself said...

The best suggestions I have ever heard. I will be taking this advice myself. Thank you!

How dare you, 5 Element, for stealing my thunder!! Seriously, I had two drafts already prepared in response to Ohm's Oratories, but I held off in order to let the emotional content subside.

I was one of the most disempowered 17 year-olds one could imagine. A pothead, beginning alcoholic, high-school dropout and a runaway, who ended up in the USAF only to bring my alcoholism to fruition. But, I was one of the lucky ones, and sobered up before I was 22. My life has been characterized by profound self-sabotage and tremendous adventure, and I still managed to squeeze out a master's degree to boot.

Everyone here familiar with the psychological dynamic known as projection? When you have a disproportionately negative reaction to the comments and behaviors of specific individuals? That's how I define my relationship to Ohm's ideas. I find them loathesome and contemptible, because they are so much a part of my own character that I so desperately wish to resolve within my own self.

Let's start with the avatar. "Passive." One could not conceive of a state of mind that is more antithetical to the principles of Taoism. Taoism is about cultivating a life of radical independence and self-sufficiency, about situational awareness, be that in the kitchen, the classroom, or on the mat. Please, my young friend, dump the Passive Banner. I once thought that the world would recognize my gentle and peace-loving manner and shower me with kisses, sweetness and light. It won't. Passivity is the lifestyle of a doormat. As Ghandi said, it takes balls to be peaceful. Cowards can never be moral. I've lived like a doormat. People get sick of it real fast.

Drop the disclaimer. To enter into a forum with the express purpose of engaging others in dialogue is the implicit understanding that we are here to test the veracity of our views with others. It is part of the joy in the life of the mind. If you want to contribute, do so, but don't counsel us on how we should react to your notions.

I have lived most of my life without the internet (I'm almost 50). People just aren't learning how to write on their feet anymore. Online forums encourage sloppy writing, sloppy thinking, confusion, misunderstanding, and equivocation of all kinds. I think you younger folks are going to have to work a lot harder at cultivating writing skills if you end up seeing them eroded by too much online posting, but I could be wrong (I guess it depends on how good a writer you are in the first place).

I would heartily encourage you to take three years out and become a gym rat. Get yourself grounded physically. Get yourself comfortable in situations that may seem too intimidating at this time and you will discover a liberty, a lightness of being, that obliterates fear and anxiety. Learn how to RELAX!! Muscles are the badges of the soul, and nobody can take them away from you, no matter how smart or wealthy they may be.

Chi is the food of the soul. Embrace Horse for 30 minutes a day, get a solid nei kung practice under your belt, and put a sock in your metaphysical pie hole. By the time you're 20 you will be ready for anything (and may end up putting many of us to shame).

Good luck.

Believe it or not, one can actually get educated and experienced and knowledgable enough to recognize differences in the quality of information, providing that your curiosity and love of learning does not fade. Of course, if you think your mental universe won't evolve between now and 30 years from now, then this may not be your experience.

This was great! Thank you for waking my ass up!

I watched it a while back and have enjoyed it.

I'm with you, I thought I knew what the hell I was talking about when I was doing Marry Jane, but now, I'm even more lost. I'm 25 now.

The best suggestions I have ever heard. I will be taking this advice myself. Thank you!

This was great! Thank you for waking my ass up!

Look at me. I'm ridiculous!! Going off about writing skills and I still write like crap! Well, as Hemingway once said, "The first draft of anything is shit."

Look at me. I'm ridiculous!! Going off about writing skills and I still write like crap! Well, as Hemingway once said, "The first draft of anything is shit."

Blasto, thank you for taking the time to help me out instead of simply ignoring it.

I know it's easier for some to just walk away from a problem, taking the time to explain your thoughts is very nice of you. That said, I appreciate all of the posts that are made in a response to mine.

I just have to stop thinking and start experiencing, I understand that, but lately i have been experiencing everything that I have learned in the past. Every moment of the day I am feeling better and better about the questions that go through my head. It feels good, I am enjoying it, I would like to state that I am making my own progress. Maybe I should start is asking a few questions???

Are there any basics that I should master before putting all my mental energy into practices?

Are there any basics that I should master before putting all my mental energy into practices?[/u]

Yes indeed, there are. The basics are... forget the mental energy!!!!!!!!!!

Start with the physical. See how much progress your whole bodymind can get just by rooting into the physical plane. The book "Power to the People" by Pavel Tsatsouline is the perfect launch point for getting strong, and it has a remarkably comprehensible explanation of the role that the nervous system plays in forming the crucial mind/muscle connection. From the M/M connection comes the power to start sensing your nervous system, which lies at the intersection of body and mind.

If you absolutely must satisfy your intellectual curiosity during this physical phase, any number of recommendations listed in here will do, but (to beat a dead horse) "Warrior/Scholar" by Deng MIng-Dao and "The Chinese Book of Health and Healing" by Daniel Reid would be more than enough to start with. "365 Tao" by Deng Ming-Dao is a great daily reminder.

And if, in the darkest recesses of your spirit, you suspect yourself of being a weenie (like I was), learn everything you can about building up your solar plexus chakra. "Eastern Body, Western Mind" by Anodea Judith is a vast storehouse of insight about the psychological states that manifest within our physical selves. I was a critical thinking junkie as an undergrad and would have never even considered this material. Now it seems more pertinent than anything else I make use of.

So, you gonna change yer avatar?

Are there any basics that I should master before putting all my mental energy into practices?[/u]

I agree with Blasto... forget mental energy! Your mind is not your spirit. Your mind is only the software that your brain uses to help your spirit to function on the earthly plane. If what you want is to go beyond the material, you will need to drop the mind altogether and use your spirit.

A question I want to ask you is... (you don't need to answer me, this is just for YOU to sit with). What are you using your mental energy for? ....to hide from your feelings?

If you want to make alot of spiritual progress, use your energies to feel your emotions. If you are anything like I was at 17, I was using my mind and chemicals to escape the horrible feelings I had because of my crazy family. If that is your situation, then it makes perfect sense to me that you would want to find ways to escape your feelings by focusing on the problems of the World.

The true spiritual path, the path of the spiritual warrior is the path of facing oneself. This means facing your painful frightening feelings, experiencing them and then using your spirit to transcend them and grow.

All of the problems you see in the world are within you! Let your mind go and feel your feelings...

Taoist practices like martial arts, Qigong and meditation are the weapons we use to achieve this. By using these methods, we are able to slowly, day by day, transcend our ego and mind. It is very possible you will need a teacher to guide you through this process. Few of us have been able to do it alone.

Along with working with energy, we taoists also enjoy experiencing our bodies and can use our physical body to overcome our spiritual weaknesses. In my teachings, I was taught to use mind body and spirit. If you only focus on the mind, you are lopsided. Drugs distort the mind, destroy the body and cloud the spirit. So, I would stop any recreational drug use.

So, find a physical exercise you enjoy, find a teacher who can teach you energy work like qigong, martial arts and meditation. Find someone you trust to whom you can safely share your feelings and then maybe, you can use your mind.... This is what taoists have done for centuries. If you want what they have, do what they did...

The good news is that the first and most important thing you need is sincerity. You seem to have that. So, you are in a good place to start...

All the best to you...

Mike

Are there any basics that I should master before putting all my mental energy into practices?

Yes. Balance. Equilibrium. Synchronicity = Tao (B<>E<>S<>T)

I agree with Blasto... forget mental energy! Your mind is not your spirit. Your mind is only the software that your brain uses to help your spirit to function on the earthly plane. If what you want is to go beyond the material, you will need to drop the mind altogether and use your spirit.

A question I want to ask you is... (you don't need to answer me, this is just for YOU to sit with). What are you using your mental energy for? ....to hide from your feelings?

If you want to make alot of spiritual progress, use your energies to feel your emotions. If you are anything like I was at 17, I was using my mind and chemicals to escape the horrible feelings I had because of my crazy family. If that is your situation, then it makes perfect sense to me that you would want to find ways to escape your feelings by focusing on the problems of the World.

The true spiritual path, the path of the spiritual warrior is the path of facing oneself. This means facing your painful frightening feelings, experiencing them and then using your spirit to transcend them and grow.

All of the problems you see in the world are within you! Let your mind go and feel your feelings...

Taoist practices like martial arts, Qigong and meditation are the weapons we use to achieve this. By using these methods, we are able to slowly, day by day, transcend our ego and mind. It is very possible you will need a teacher to guide you through this process. Few of us have been able to do it alone.

Along with working with energy, we taoists also enjoy experiencing our bodies and can use our physical body to overcome our spiritual weaknesses. In my teachings, I was taught to use mind body and spirit. If you only focus on the mind, you are lopsided. Drugs distort the mind, destroy the body and cloud the spirit. So, I would stop any recreational drug use.

So, find a physical exercise you enjoy, find a teacher who can teach you energy work like qigong, martial arts and meditation. Find someone you trust to whom you can safely share your feelings and then maybe, you can use your mind.... This is what taoists have done for centuries. If you want what they have, do what they did...

The good news is that the first and most important thing you need is sincerity. You seem to have that. So, you are in a good place to start...

All the best to you...

Mike

This was great advice!: ) Would love to hear more, as I'm in the same boat!:)