Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

Self hypnotism, autosuggestion

I'm looking to drop some bad habits, and I am looking into hypnotism to change them. Does anyone here have experience with self hypnosis in dropping bad habits? What do you think of it?

Absolutely not.

My nei kung teacher is also a sifu and certified hypnotherapist. I haven't had those kind of sessions with him but treatments can be pretty specific. See if you can find a hyno with Taoist skills.

I teach 7th path.. its arguably the best form of self hypnosis on the market because its affect based. it's basically the self-hypnosis version of being able get some of the net effects of things like regressions, chair therapies and parts therapy. you can give yourself suggestions with it after you "empty the cup" of the emotional blocks and misperceptions. I sometimes offer to people who do sessions with me but often not due to time constrains.

I quit smoking over a pack a day when I learned it without ever giving myself a single suggestion, just by using it as a meditation to get the funk out that I was unconsciously smoking to distract from. I meditated daily (a type of kriya yoga mostly) 15 years before learning it and nothing like that ever happened though I can see how for some people it might if they are lucky. One spiritual benifit I got from it is while doing other meditations I am now able to leave the head and drop into the heart area (or other organs) which I could not do prior. This was after multiple 7th path induced abreactions over the course of about a year where there was strong emotional release pertaining to things I didn't realized carried such heavy charge. Ironically I'm not a "highly hypnotizable" person, just moderate at best, meaning I don't pass all the tests first try but can do pretty good with practice.

You can probably find a class somewhere near your area for around 95$ for two days. Sometimes recently certified 5 path hypnotherapists do classes at community centers to get their feet wet with demonstrational hypnosis. It has to be learned directly from a certified teacher and basic parts are communicated in a state of somnambulism, which is where most of the hypnotic phenomena takes place.

I could see a connection with TCM.. pretty often people who come to me for sessions are also getting acupuncture elsewhere around the same time

I have had experience using affirmations embedded in brainwave entrainment tracks. For some it is very powerful, others not. The technique is to use visualizations in an alpha state (light meditation) and recorded suggestions when in theta (deep meditation). All I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you.

May I ask what bad habits are you seeking to be rid of? Then possibly I can offer some specific suggestions.

When I enrolled in a course of study at the University of North Florida the uni offered a free short course on self-hypnosis designed primarily for the purpose of improving one's study habits.

I feel it was a very valuable course and it did help me to be able to clear my mind and prepare myself properly prior to serious study.

I have not yet tried it for the purpose of kicking my nasty smoking habit but I think this will be the only way I will be able to kick the habit (when I am ready to be serious about it).

I hold self-hypnosis as a valuable tool and would recommend it. Just make sure you learn from someone who has had positive results in the past. (Do your research.)

Peace & Love!

I'm looking to drop some bad habits, and I am looking into hypnotism to change them. Does anyone here have experience with self hypnosis in dropping bad habits? What do you think of it?

I think it's worth exploring, considering that it's very accessible. I've used a hypnosis tape for pain-control, and it worked better than any medication for me. I don't know if that qualifies as self-hypnosis; probably not. I've also once been hypnotized by a stage hypnotist. So I know how powerful hypnosis can be.

Hypnosis is a very interesting, effective and relatively simple approach to mind-body work. Self-hypnosis takes some motivation though. The lazy thing to do, if you can afford it, is to go to a trained hypnotist or a licensed hypnotherapist. I've met one woman who quit smoking with hypnosis, so it worked for her, but she had the benefit of a trained hypnotherapist.

I think that ultimately self-hypnosis is the best approach, because even though it takes some dedication, once you learn it, it's a tool you can keep and use for the rest of your life. On the other hand, if you rely on a hypnotherapist, even though it's easy and fun, you have to arrange an appointment, look for a good person that you enjoy spending time with, etc... it's a hassle and it's not always there for you when you need it.

I have some training manuals for hypnosis and practically all of them say one thing: if you want to become a hypnotist, you must start by learning self-hypnosis. Or: "All hypnosis is self-hypnosis".

In my day to day life I don't rely on hypnotic techniques, but I know if I ever have pain again, I won't hesitate to use hypnosis.

I have found my experience with using affirmations beneficial. My recommendation if you are going to use them to counter bad habits is that you don't focus on the bad habit, instead cultivate it's opposite.

For example if you have a chronic hunched over posture, use an affirmation such as "I maintain an erect posture throughout the day" instead of saying to yourself "I no longer slouch... etc".

Sign in to follow this