mewtwo

Spiritual jobs?

I am curently looking for a spiritual job like a meditation instructor any know of any?

I am not certified per se, But I do know stuff about meditations.

I am curently looking for a spiritual job like a meditation instructor any know of any?

Start making youtube videos, dress up, wear a funny hat, start speaking in a funny accent, or just sound like you are spaced out, hold your hands together in a prayer position while sitting in full lotus, then make some t-shirts. Pretty soon you'll have followers in no time.

I'm half joking and half serious.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I stand on the corner of Ventura and Laurel Canyon with a bible and bodyfat calipers, offering free bodyfat measurements to all the women without breast implants, which is about 16% of the female population in LA. I also tell them that I can fluff their auras for a one time fee of $60, but they must be disrobed. I've almost paid off my student loans this way. $14,000 more to go.

I stand on the corner of Ventura and Laurel Canyon with a bible and bodyfat calipers, offering free bodyfat measurements to all the women without breast implants, which is about 16% of the female population in LA. I also tell them that I can fluff their auras for a one time fee of $60, but they must be disrobed. I've almost paid off my student loans this way. $14,000 more to go.

So that's YOU!??

It's your attitude that makes a job spiritual whatever that is :)

Put up flyers around town stating when, where and how much your classes cost.

A little blurb about what you will teach and sit back and see what happens

Or you can always look in the classifieds under meditation teachers wanted. :)

Mewtwo,

It's not difficult to be certified or trained. There are many good programs out there that are inexpensive and not very time consuming. "Knowing stuff about meditations" is a great beginning and may indicate that you are meant to be spiritual teacher, but you are being of better service to yourself and to all those you would like to help if you learned a specific tradition or method from a qualified teacher. If however, you just start teaching people some random meditations simply because you want to earn easy money... you might be harming people.

This is the reason people on the forum are not taking your request seriously. If you take your calling seriously and do what you need to in order to follow your calling, then people will respond to you better...

I understand your desire to make a living doing something you enjoy. But you will feel alot better about what you are doing if you make a real commitment to learn something you respect.

And you haven't used the "Twin Body Blessing" line yet?

haha

'spiritual job'.

...what makes you think you're qualified to guide people in their spirituality, mewtwo?

pokemon? :rolleyes:

haha

'spiritual job'.

...what makes you think you're qualified to guide people in their spirituality, mewtwo?

pokemon? :rolleyes:

Ahh!:) That goes for all the other "gurus," as well"

Find a venue and people will come.

Make your path work for you. Gain a certain level of competence, and people will approach you. Before that it's not sustainable.

h

Teach a very basic intro course to meditation focusing on mindfulness of the breath etc. If you add in something else add in something that is a simple thing that gives alot but does not put you on any sort of alchemical path with need for further ionstructiona nd something that can be a great side meditation within any system such as inner smiel or secret smile. Maybe teach alternate nostril breathing or something like that. Then give people an overview of how to proceed if they want to go further and how they need an advanced teacher for that etc. but that simple breath based meditation can be done for reasonable amounts of time without regular overview of a teacher. While you teach this you can wrk on getting certified in something. If you do yoga the yogaworks teacher training is very good and takes a month full time or can be taken over a bunch of weekends. Jenny arthur is a wonderfull teacher (and HOT) so I recomend her. Mindfulness based stress reduction has a teacher training for mindfulness courses.

As delighted as I am that Findley has taken another vacation, he's right. It is presumptuous to present yourself as someone evolved enough to be of service to others in this regard, all the more so if you possess no credentials of any kind.

My advice is to get your personal trainer's license and work on people from the physical level. It will take $700-800 and two years minimum before you know the subtleties of this work. You will be your client's confidant, priest, psychologist, or whatever role they cast you in, so you end up in the "helping profession" whether you're ready or not. You must have absolute confidence in your ability and personal worthiness. This is where I blew it. I was a fantastic trainer, but still hadn't acquired the sense of my own worthiness that is necessary in a place like LA, even with a decent body. Thanks to nei kung, those days are happily over, and I'm looking forward to incorporating chi kung classes into my workouts in gyms, but that's at least 3 years away, with three hours a day of practice.

As you may have picked up in here already, this kind of job may be utterly useless by then. The great American love affair with suburban revolving credit and consumerism is crashing, and the the US GOV will probably default on their debts some time in 2010-2011. You would be better off building your post-crash skill set; deer hunting, gardening, EMT/first aid, cooking, and definitely, medical chi kung. Make yourself as handy as you can become and your spiritual life will take care of itself. End up as someone who can sit in front of computer screen with no electricity and you will either starve to death or be robbed and murdered. No joke.

As you may have picked up in here already, this kind of job may be utterly useless by then. The great American love affair with suburban revolving credit and consumerism is crashing, and the the US GOV will probably default on their debts some time in 2010-2011. You would be better off building your post-crash skill set; deer hunting, gardening, EMT/first aid, cooking, and definitely, medical chi kung. Make yourself as handy as you can become and your spiritual life will take care of itself. End up as someone who can sit in front of computer screen with no electricity and you will either starve to death or be robbed and murdered. No joke.

Sound and practical advice. Dont know about others, but i will def bear this in mind. Thanks for the nudge.

TO add to this - studying taiji / bagua / xhin yi WITH applications - might come handy. What is good with that - this is spiritual work of kind as well.

TO add to this - studying taiji / bagua / xhin yi WITH applications - might come handy. What is good with that - this is spiritual work of kind as well.

10-4. Absolutely. Self-defense in the years to come will be as important as those ancient days in the Yellow River Valley, except there will be guns to boot.

check out

http://www.transitionus.org/

for more options on how to cultivate your life to meet the challenges ahead while keeping consistent with your Taoist impulses. In my mind, there are few divergences. Remember, Taoism is about radical independence and self-sufficiency.

Just be yourself. Isn't that a spiritual job? :P

It is indeed. It just doesn't pay that well, unless you make a living doing standup for Comedy Central.

I fyou get certified as a teacher of qigong, yoga or meditation or tai chi or another suitable martial artyou get to do quite a bit of cultivating while you are getting paid quite well to teach. You should easily make more than the amount you mentioned and free up time and get the worth of a couple of hours or more of solo practice if you work 9-4 with it. If you become a mindfulness instructor everyday you can get like 5 hours of meditation although with lots of interauptions with talking and guiding but still lots of stretches of 20 min at least without saying a word.

That's great how supportive everyone is, but, sometimes the best support is not enabling delusion.

Would anyone here want to learn from a teacher who just "knows stuff about meditations"?

Meditation, especially, is a practice that doesn't bear its sweetest fruits for years. What if one of your students ends up hallucinating? Becoming bi-polar? Or otherwise loosing his marbles? Do you have the experience to spot these signs ahead of time or know how to fix them once they've manifested?

Yoga instructor and physical trainer are both good suggestions. They are body/mind professions. And while you're doing this for a decade, you can be laying down your meditation gongfu. Meditation needs rooting in a good body anyway.

That's great how supportive everyone is, but, sometimes the best support is not enabling delusion.

Would anyone here want to learn from a teacher who just "knows stuff about meditations"?

Meditation, especially, is a practice that doesn't bear its sweetest fruits for years. What if one of your students ends up hallucinating? Becoming bi-polar? Or otherwise loosing his marbles? Do you have the experience to spot these signs ahead of time or know how to fix them once they've manifested?

Yoga instructor and physical trainer are both good suggestions. They are body/mind professions. And while you're doing this for a decade, you can be laying down your meditation gongfu. Meditation needs rooting in a good body anyway.

Yes indeed. Working at a gym all day long afforded me the opportunity to get physically tuned up beyond the ability of the average working person. Being strong and looking good have their own rewards, but what they really do is maximize your mind/muscle connection and, as long as you maintain your flexibility, you will get extraordinarily relaxed, which is the prerequisite for feeling your energy.

You do have to consider the ethical implications of knowing what you are teaching. The psychic burden, what others might call karmic debt, is very real. Did you ever see Brad Pitt in "Burn After Reading"? I know dozens of trainers like that. They screw up lives, and ultimately their own.

Go out and get some credentials. Knowing stuff is good, but having something to show that you "know stuff" gets you paid. I hope to one day teach taiji. I have studied before and have lots of DVDs to keep me busy with Taiji and Wingchun stuff for years. I went out and joined the Yang Family Taiji Association. What did they do? Have me buy the Yang Family's instruction DVDs and tell me to show up to class so the teacher can make corrections.

So I'm still learning from a DVD-- BUT I have a teacher to correct me, AND I will eventually have certificates signed by the Yang Family saying that they approve of me teaching their taiji.

My friend back home was contacted by the Nissan plant and the Dell plant to teach Taiji at their respective campuses. If I were being interviewed for some similar position with some other people who have studied Yang style Taiji for X number of years and I can show my ties to the Yang Family, who do you think sounds like they offer the best product? So having credentials, even if they don't actually mean much, can be lucrative in our society.

I actually did not mean to go into Taiji-- I was going to say that I have a similar goal. I am writing a paper for my Faith Seeking & Understanding class on this topic (sort of). We are dealing with how Christianity deals with other Religions. Anyway, I am interested in teaching meditation/qigong/taiji/etc. I have realized that meditation does not belong to Buddhists or Taoists (even though some ignorant people at my Seminary seem to think it does), Qigong and/or Neigong are not religious practices. I want to teach these things. I don't intend to sugar coat anything with Christian terms because that does this stuff injustice. If someone wants to know the philosophy behind a movement or a form, I will hand them a reading list and directions to the nearest library. The average Christian does not read the Bible, so I know they will not read any obscure writings dealing with cultivation.

So yeah-- that's how I am seeking a spiritual job. I am going into the ministry. I am a Christian and this is what works for me. It helps that I already have a bachelor's in Religion and am a veteran attending Seminary on the GI Bill-- which means I basically go for free. I'm also taking KAP with Santi and studying Taiji. Hopefully in 3 years, I will have a little bit of "juice" and understanding of KAP that Santi may allow me to teach a watered down version-- if they want the goods, I'll send them to Santi; a decent ranking in the Yang Family Association; and a Master's in Divinity degree along with ordination in sacrament and word from my church.

Whatever you want to do is going to take some work-- but having some sort of credentials will be well worth the time you take to get them.

Go out and get some credentials. Knowing stuff is good, but having something to show that you "know stuff" gets you paid. I hope to one day teach taiji. I have studied before and have lots of DVDs to keep me busy with Taiji and Wingchun stuff for years. I went out and joined the Yang Family Taiji Association. What did they do? Have me buy the Yang Family's instruction DVDs and tell me to show up to class so the teacher can make corrections.

So I'm still learning from a DVD-- BUT I have a teacher to correct me, AND I will eventually have certificates signed by the Yang Family saying that they approve of me teaching their taiji.

My friend back home was contacted by the Nissan plant and the Dell plant to teach Taiji at their respective campuses. If I were being interviewed for some similar position with some other people who have studied Yang style Taiji for X number of years and I can show my ties to the Yang Family, who do you think sounds like they offer the best product? So having credentials, even if they don't actually mean much, can be lucrative in our society.

I actually did not mean to go into Taiji-- I was going to say that I have a similar goal. I am writing a paper for my Faith Seeking & Understanding class on this topic (sort of). We are dealing with how Christianity deals with other Religions. Anyway, I am interested in teaching meditation/qigong/taiji/etc. I have realized that meditation does not belong to Buddhists or Taoists (even though some ignorant people at my Seminary seem to think it does), Qigong and/or Neigong are not religious practices. I want to teach these things. I don't intend to sugar coat anything with Christian terms because that does this stuff injustice. If someone wants to know the philosophy behind a movement or a form, I will hand them a reading list and directions to the nearest library. The average Christian does not read the Bible, so I know they will not read any obscure writings dealing with cultivation.

So yeah-- that's how I am seeking a spiritual job. I am going into the ministry. I am a Christian and this is what works for me. It helps that I already have a bachelor's in Religion and am a veteran attending Seminary on the GI Bill-- which means I basically go for free. I'm also taking KAP with Santi and studying Taiji. Hopefully in 3 years, I will have a little bit of "juice" and understanding of KAP that Santi may allow me to teach a watered down version-- if they want the goods, I'll send them to Santi; a decent ranking in the Yang Family Association; and a Master's in Divinity degree along with ordination in sacrament and word from my church.

Whatever you want to do is going to take some work-- but having some sort of credentials will be well worth the time you take to get them.

I think your plan is completely awesome. The world needs more pastors/priests like you.

I can fluff their auras for a one time fee of $60, but they must be disrobed. I've almost paid off my student loans this way. $14,000 more to go.

A fluffer is probably not bad pay. But It's mostly a women in that profession isn't it?