Sign in to follow this  
sherab

religious taoism

Hello all.

I may be setting myself apart by this, but i'm interested in religious/ceremonial taoism as well as philosophical. I like altars, gods, immortals, etc. from time to time. and other times, i like philosophy.

So, if i can pick and choose what to do when, well... that would be great.

Where can i learn more about the religious side of taoism?

Here is one great resource

http://www.taostudies.com/

Hello all.

I may be setting myself apart by this, but i'm interested in religious/ceremonial taoism as well as philosophical. I like altars, gods, immortals, etc. from time to time. and other times, i like philosophy.

I would suggest doing your research in steps before spending money on expensive programs and teachers.

To start your journey, I suggest reading the text that started it all, the Tao Te Ching. The Sanderson Beck translation is similar to the Feng/English translation, but the phrasing is a bit different which improves readability.

Many believe that the Chuang Tzŭ (Zhuangzi) is the text responsible for starting the religious branch of Taoism. Burton Watson has a really nice translation that's available for free online. My personal favorite translation of this text is by Victor H. Mair.

If you'd like to learn more about the philosophy, and how to put Taoism into practice, the best book for this would probably be Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life by Ming-dao Deng.

TAO of Letting Go: Meditation for Modern Living by Bruce Frantzis and The Essential Qigong Training Course by Ken Cohen are great aids for at home meditation practice. But if you'd like to dive deeper into some of the more religious alchemy practices, you should probably seek assistance from a teacher in your area.

There is an audio program by Ken Cohen that goes into the details of the altar set up, rituals, etc:

Taoism: Essential Teachings of the Way and it's Power

A book with a good overview is the Shambhala Guide to Taoism.

Again, these will give you descriptions, not "how to's". You'll need to find a teacher for that.

Yoda's teacher Mak Tin Si is really into this kind of stuff. I think there may be some questions about his lineage...but it seems to be working for Yoda!

Awesome, thank you all so much :)

I will be taking chinese in college, and maybe that will help me connect with other speakers, and finding a teacher :)

Hello all.

Here is one great resource

http://www.taostudies.com/

I am a student of the College of Tao ... what would you like to know?

I am a student of the College of Tao ... what would you like to know?

Does the course tell you how to set up an altar?

what school of taoism is followed?

Is it rooted in chinese religion? such as the immortals, etc. Do you learn praise mantras?

Tai chi?

There are a few :)

Does the course tell you how to set up an altar?

Upon request, "Yes"

what school of taoism is followed?

Quanzhen or Complete Reality School

Is it rooted in chinese religion? such as the immortals, etc.

"Yes"

Do you learn praise mantras?

"Yes"

Tai chi?

"Yes" As well as:

~ Nei Tan, Internal Medicine, which can support a person's spiritual future through refinement of the physical, mental and spiritual essence,

~ Tai Shi, Internal Breathing, which is higher than external breathing, although both are usually practiced together,

~ Tao Yin, Energy Channelling, for purposes of health and spiritual benefit,

~ Chun Shih, Visualization or concentration,

~ Fu Erh, External Nutrition, using natural herbs and other things,

~ Shing Jeau, Walking, for gathering and refining energy,

~ Fu Chi, Intaking Natural Energy through breathing and swallowing,

~ Fang Jung, Sexual Cultivation,

~ Fu Jyeo, Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and also Invocations,

~ Jing Tan, Golden Elixir,

~ Shr Jeah, Method of Exuviation into a New Life.

Upon request, "Yes"

Quanzhen or Complete Reality School

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Yes" As well as:

~ Nei Tan, Internal Medicine, which can support a person's spiritual future through refinement of the physical, mental and spiritual essence,

~ Tai Shi, Internal Breathing, which is higher than external breathing, although both are usually practiced together,

~ Tao Yin, Energy Channelling, for purposes of health and spiritual benefit,

~ Chun Shih, Visualization or concentration,

~ Fu Erh, External Nutrition, using natural herbs and other things,

~ Shing Jeau, Walking, for gathering and refining energy,

~ Fu Chi, Intaking Natural Energy through breathing and swallowing,

~ Fang Jung, Sexual Cultivation,

~ Fu Jyeo, Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and also Invocations,

~ Jing Tan, Golden Elixir,

~ Shr Jeah, Method of Exuviation into a New Life.

What is the difference between Quanzhen and Zhengyi?

EDIT: Also, are rituals taught that can be done by laypeople?

Edited by sherab

What is the difference between Quanzhen and Zhengyi?

EDIT: Also, are rituals taught that can be done by laypeople?

I am not well versed on the differences. But to my limited understanding the Zhengyi School 正一 (Orthodox Unity) tends to be a little more "religious" than the Quanzhen School 全眞 (Complete Reality). Whilst the Zhengyi has more focus on talismans, rituals, ceremonies etc, the Quanzhen focuses more on inner alchemy and personal sublimation.

Yes, the College of Tao material does teach rituals that can be done by laypeople.

I am not well versed on the differences. But to my limited understanding the Zhengyi School 正一 (Orthodox Unity) tends to be a little more "religious" than the Quanzhen School 全眞 (Complete Reality). Whilst the Zhengyi has more focus on talismans, rituals, ceremonies etc, the Quanzhen focuses more on inner alchemy and personal sublimation.

Yes, the College of Tao material does teach rituals that can be done by laypeople.

Hm, very good... I will bookmark that page for future use. Let's hope it''s around in a few years :)

EDIT: I have heard that master ni mixes other religions with his view as well, Is this true, in your opinion? I want traditional chinese taoism, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by sherab

Hm, very good... I will bookmark that page for future use. Let's hope it''s around in a few years :)

EDIT: I have heard that master ni mixes other religions with his view as well, Is this true, in your opinion? I want traditional chinese taoism, nothing more, nothing less.

I am not aware of such "mixing." I would really want to see proof of such before making any opinions based on hearsay. I do know that Master Ni has delivered his traditional lineage in a way that is more easily assimilated by Western minds and lifestyles. There are some that say this is a dilution, and others say this is simply a Taoist approach of adjusting to one's environment. I stand with the later, it is up to you to choose for yourself.

:D

I am not aware of such "mixing." I would really want to see proof of such before making any opinions based on hearsay. I do know that Master Ni has delivered his traditional lineage in a way that is more easily assimilated by Western minds and lifestyles. There are some that say this is a dilution, and others say this is simply a Taoist approach of adjusting to one's environment. I stand with the later, it is up to you to choose for yourself.

Hm, mybe one should be able to choose which culture they belong to themselves? :lol:

I have heard that master ni mixes other religions with his view as well, Is this true, in your opinion?

I have read a couple of Master Ni's books. His books contain some of the oldest and most authentic taoist teachings I've seen in print. He is respectful of other religions and traditions but his teachings are wholly Taoist. There are things I learned in my lineage that I have not seen anywhere else except from Master Ni. He presents the teachings in a very accessible way to westerners, but it is very "Old School" taoism.

IMO Master Ni is the real deal...

Edited by fiveelementtao

I have read a couple of Master Ni's books. His books contain some of the oldest and most authentic taoist teachings I've seen in print. He is respectful of other religions and traditions but his teachings are wholly Taoist. There are things I learned in my lineage that I have not seen anywhere else except from Master Ni. He presents the teachings in a very accessible way to westerners, but it is very "Old School" taoism.

IMO Master Ni is the real deal...

very good :)

I will look at his books soemtime, but i'd rather do that through his course :)

i'm getting some books ion taoism and learning chinese for christmas.. :) including a translation of the TTC, scholr-warrior, and a book on tai chi/meditation. If anyone wnats to see that last, you can ask, and i will post here

Hi Stigweard,

I know we have had differences in the past, esp. about pandittree but i just wanted to thank you for helping me in this thread.. you're not as bad as PT may lead me to believe.

thanks again :)

I'm not against you, i just think there is a little bit of truth in anything someone says, even if it is painful. Same thing with what you said to pandittree about his/her faults.

<3,

Sherab/ Zhi

Hi Stigweard,

I know we have had differences in the past, esp. about pandittree but i just wanted to thank you for helping me in this thread.. you're not as bad as PT may lead me to believe.

thanks again :)

I'm not against you, i just think there is a little bit of truth in anything someone says, even if it is painful. Same thing with what you said to pandittree about his/her faults.

<3,

Sherab/ Zhi

the book "Original Tao : Nei Yeh" or something of the like has great information about the beginning and divergence of both types of taoism.

thank you :)

Sign in to follow this