Sign in to follow this  
secularfuture

Is renunciation the only way to unite with Dao?

Uniting with Dao  

14 members have voted

1. 1. To become one with Dao one must...

• meditate & renounce personal identity
    • meditate & renounce sense pleasures
    • meditate & renounce identity and pleasures
    • only meditate
    • do nothing; it happens to us all after death
    • other

My first reaction was "Who the hell is Paula Hartz?" It took me less than 60 seconds to discover that she writes books on world religions... for children.

BFD!!

:lol:

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Today's Lesson: Don't believe everything you read.

Please, everyone, I beg of you. Just believe everything I say. My inner child needs this. Please comply.

Yeah Paula shouldn't be writing books on the subject. :lol: None of what she said was true.

Yeah, well, falsehood rarely presents itself without at least a trace of truth. But children's books are for children.

To renunciate might not be only way of getting to the here and now. There are plenty of us who managed to find our way through the 12 steps of recovery, which would be similar but actually turns out having a huge effect on ego. The steps entail doing a 'fearless and thorough moral inventory' (which is the same as developing a 'christ consciosness', as far as I can tell. That's where we develop the ability to see ourselves for what we really are, warts and all - and yet to not 'take it personally' and have to wade through the drama of learning that we're not perfect. Then, once the inventory is finished, one must not only give the results of your personal inventory to another (a humiliating experience), but the real fun starts when we have to go around and make amends to people we have harmed in our life. Once that is completed, the ego is pretty much in the toilet. Does renunciation share this wonderful aspect of humiliation?

Sign in to follow this