hagar

Draft; how bad is it?

We're kind of having a situation in our appartment

There's a bad draft in our bedroom.

Well, so my better half complains. I can feel that my left side is quite cold in the morning, and my neck is stiff, so I guess she's right.

But I really cannot feel the draft myself.

So how subtle can a draft be to be harmful, and is it something to fret about in the long run?

Alot of people sleep with windows open, and suffer no consequences, yet we close all windows and feel chilled to the bone.

Thoughts?

h

Edited by hagar

Well, so my better half complains. I can feel that my left side is quite cold in the morning, and my neck is stiff, so I guess she's right.

So how subtle can a draft be to be harmful, and is it something to fret about in the long run?

Alot of people sleep with windows open, and suffer no consequences, yet we close all windows and feel chilled to the bone.

Thoughts?

And please, don't get into the whole "Fa chi" thing.

h

Hey Hagar,

Have you considered subtle damp rising from the floor?

With windows and door shut, cant think how drafts could happen.

Try sleeping in another part of the house to determine what other factors could be involved.

Where i am the weather gets quite damp sometimes, and a dehumidifier helps greatly. You'll be amazed at how much moisture, which can be another cause of stiffness and chill, the dehumidifier actually removes from the air! Leaving it running in our bedroom for 2 hours could remove as much as half a litre of water!

Hope you get to the root of the matter soon enough. Good luck!

Hey Hagar,

Have you considered subtle damp rising from the floor?

With windows and door shut, cant think how drafts could happen.

Try sleeping in another part of the house to determine what other factors could be involved.

Where i am the weather gets quite damp sometimes, and a dehumidifier helps greatly. You'll be amazed at how much moisture, which can be another cause of stiffness and chill, the dehumidifier actually removes from the air! Leaving it running in our bedroom for 2 hours could remove as much as half a litre of water!

Hope you get to the root of the matter soon enough. Good luck!

Dehumidifier: good point.

We live on the 5th floor, yet have a little river running outside, so that may be a connection there.

Thanx

h

According to Ayurveda, drafts are aggravating to vata, soothing to pitta. Your dosha must be mostly vatta. Not fixing the problem could result in a terrible imbalance.

Take the Dosha Test and find out what your dominate dosha is and follow the advice .

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

Dangit Hagar! I thought you had written a first "draft" of a book on Daoist alchemy or something. I got really excited.

Oh, well... until you get that book written... drafts are really bad. I had one and it gave me a sore neck and a headache every day until I figured out how to stop it. Ruined my days until I did. I hope you get it fixed.

Yea weird, I sleep much better leaving the window cracked to let fresh air in, especially in the morning. To me, it seems much more helpful than harmful..

But if you're chilled, maybe you just need more blankets or to turn the heat up?

Yea, I know that may waste a bit of energy, but the small cost is worth it to me.

Dangit Hagar! I thought you had written a first "draft" of a book on Daoist alchemy or something. I got really excited.

Oh, well... until you get that book written... drafts are really bad. I had one and it gave me a sore neck and a headache every day until I figured out how to stop it. Ruined my days until I did. I hope you get it fixed.

:D I'm as far from writing a book on Internal Alchemy as I am motivated to become a champion tree jumper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10F4zbafaHo

I do have been plagued by headaches and stiffness.... Hmm, and I thought I just was getting older. Great to know I

m not making it up.

Anyway, I've also discovered that our bed is placed in this little annex, so that our heads are actually between to corners of the end wall in our bedroom. Thats got to be bad mojo.

h

.. I can feel that my left side is quite cold in the morning, and my neck is stiff, ...

"Wind" is considered an "external pernicious influence" in Chinese medicine, "wind cold" in this case. If wind pierces the exterior protective layer of qi, it often does so through the back of the neck. As wind enters further into the body the channels start closing, which shows up as stiffness.

Usually this is described as the onset of illness, a "cold". Let's assume that there's no virus present for you, just the wind cold ... it's creating a weakened entry-way commonly used by genuine illness. In short,

is it something to fret about in the long run?
Yup.

Being weakened while you sleep doesn't have great implications either.

I do have been plagued by headaches and stiffness.... Hmm, and I thought I just was getting older. Great to know I'm not making it up.
Fits with the pattern.

Until you get the draft stopped, you might consider additional sleep-wear: a scarf or something warm around your neck, and maybe a cozy hat. :)

"Wind" is considered an "external pernicious influence" in Chinese medicine, "wind cold" in this case. If wind pierces the exterior protective layer of qi, it often does so through the back of the neck. As wind enters further into the body the channels start closing, which shows up as stiffness.

Usually this is described as the onset of illness, a "cold". Let's assume that there's no virus present for you, just the wind cold ... it's creating a weakened entry-way commonly used by genuine illness. In short, Yup.

Being weakened while you sleep doesn't have great implications either.

Fits with the pattern.

Until you get the draft stopped, you might consider additional sleep-wear: a scarf or something warm around your neck, and maybe a cozy hat. :)

Well darn. Guess I have to get som counter measures going.

Actually, this brings up a bit of a reluctance to embrace the whole external qi, feng shui thing. In a way I reject the whole idea. Too subtle to really make a difference.

But I just might have found a little eddy of hubris in myself. This draft thing is really getting to me. We might be moving to get out of the place. The river, damp, and draft. Well, its a Feng Shui nightmare isn't it?

Thank you for great feedback!

Shen Zhen: Tree jumping is actually only done by members of the Norwegian YMCA, as a rite of passage.

If you feel like jumping on skis, did you check out our fellow, quite unlucky norwegian skier Fred Syversen who dropped unintentionally 107 meters while skiing in France. Ended up with a bruised liver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHH4vRT3VwA

h

Thoughts?

h

Feeling the draft when there isn't one?.. This might mean you bed is positioned on a Killer Line and it's very bad. Do you have a compass? If you do, let me know the compass degree toward which the head of the bed points. If it's a Killer Line, move the bed immediately. Excluding that, still move it if necessary to position it so it is compatible with your and your wife's personal gua, so that the top of your head is pointing to one of your beneficial directions. If your gua and your wife's gua are opposite groups, you and her might have to sleep with your heads to opposite directions... let's hope they aren't. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll find how to calculate your personal gua somewhere online, go to a good form-and-compass FS site or check a book if you have any on the subject, or ask me. :)

The draft is bad only if they actually send you to war. You could try and beat the draft of course, by enlisting in the National Guard and getting a cushy stateside assignment like George W. Bush did...haarrrr... :)

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Feeling the draft when there isn't one?.. This might mean you bed is positioned on a Killer Line and it's very bad. Do you have a compass? If you do, let me know the compass degree toward which the head of the bed points. If it's a Killer Line, move the bed immediately. Excluding that, still move it if necessary to position it so it is compatible with your and your wife's personal gua, so that the top of your head is pointing to one of your beneficial directions. If your gua and your wife's gua are opposite groups, you and her might have to sleep with your heads to opposite directions... let's hope they aren't. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll find how to calculate your personal gua somewhere online, go to a good form-and-compass FS site or check a book if you have any on the subject, or ask me. :)

Well, the head of the bed points east.

I'll check into the personal gua thing.

Thanks!

h

The draft is bad only if they actually send you to war. You could try and beat the draft of course, by enlisting in the National Guard and getting a cushy stateside assignment like George W. Bush did...haarrrr... :)

;) I did beat that draft actually. I became a conscientious objector, and ended up doing my service making coffee in broadcasting.

h

Well, the head of the bed points east.

I'll check into the personal gua thing.

Thanks!

Definitely east? -- not on the border of east-northeast or east-southeast? not two degrees each way from that border?.. 'cause that's where trouble lurks...

Definitely east? -- not on the border of east-northeast or east-southeast? not two degrees each way from that border?.. 'cause that's where trouble lurks...

Time to bring out the compass...

h