Sign in to follow this  
松永道

The best Chinese dictionary

大家好,

I feel the need to share the single best tool in my day to day China life. It's a program called "plecodict".

Basically, it's just a dictionary that runs on a smart phone or PDA (windows or palm). Not only does it allow you to look up words in pinyin as fast as you can type them, you can also look up characters by writing them on the screen (saving the huge hassle of tracking the damn thing down by radical). Plus you can create your own user dictionaries (I've used this function to input my TCM notes for extremely handy reference).

My apologies that this is a bit of a plug, but I have no association with this software other than owning a copy. The company was started by a single college student and seems to still be going strong (and still with just a handful of employees). The creator is incredibly active on his support forums and he's just seems like a good guy. Knowing that there will be a bigger and bigger market for Chinese dictionary software in the future, I'd just really like to see the little guy get a win.

wow... I have no interest in any smart phone gadgetry in general, but that is good to know, thanks!

wow... I have no interest in any smart phone gadgetry in general, but that is good to know, thanks!

Neither did I. In fact I arrived in China with one pack-back and zero interest in my gadget ridden past. I went 4 months without a phone until my friends and Chinese family insisted it was too much trouble for them to live without. Then the pendulum started its swing back (and past the center again no doubt, after all, I'm staring at an LCD screen to write this non-essential post).

Anyhow, I really just recommend it for people who plan to study in China as having a pocket dictionary that is your phone, can hold your books, can record conversations, etc, is really, really handy. I'm now all for tech that gives me more time & possibilities and less clutter.

However, the old dictionary does have one edge - you spend more time tediously searching for the character and the more time you spend, the deeper it sinks in. When you have it all at your fingertips, there's less incentive to remember.

I don't mind spending lots of time looking up a character... it has its virtues as you say... it's just when I can't find it... then the time spent becomes retroactively torturous. :lol:

It's a program called "plecodict". ... Basically, it's just a dictionary that runs on a smart phone or PDA (windows or palm). ... My apologies that this is a bit of a plug, but I have no association with this software other than owning a copy.

The only thing you have to apologize for is for not providing a link!!! :angry: ( ;) )

Reference to helpful methods and products is part of TTBs' experience. It's only a moderation issue when it becomes basically spamming: the person doesn't participate in conversation - but is here only to repeatedly advertise a product. Your recommendation was most wonderful, appropriate, and appreciated! :) Hao-hao!

Sign in to follow this