NeiChuan

Eye sight

I use to have 20/20 vision but uh.. That went down the drain pretty quickly.. same with periphiral vision (however you spell that). Any way my vision isen't even that bad although I dont feel like my I can actually focus what im looking at.. What I meant by not bad is I can read words from far but I guess my eyesight just isent very sensitive as it was.. Almost the same with my hearing sadly.

Anyway I was wondering what practices/food/herbs I might be able to consider..

Thanks.

(Please reframe from masturbation jokes lol)

There are a number of natural vision books around, and even some optometrists, although they tend to be pricey. The first book i read is by Jacob Liberman, Take Off Your Glasses and See: A Mind/Body Approach to Expanding Your Eyesight and Insight , it's got a lot of really good stuff including some exercises that were/are being used in many chinese schools that use acupressure points. The schools using these exercises apparently have a far lower level of eye problems than the norm. Can get from Amazon etc..

The other one i've been recommended (sitting on the shelf currently) is by Janet Goodrich, natural vision improvement. .

My experience with these is that my eyesight got noticeably better when i was working in a job that didn't involve computers, but the last 10 years have been very intensive on the computer side of things and my application to the practices has been lax. Still, at the end of the day when my eyes are weary, the chinese exercises freshen my eyes up in just a few minutes, and there is a noticeable improvement in my vision. And my prescription has remained stable for the last 10 years with only minimal practice.

One of the most useful practices my Chinese doctor taught me was to get my knuckles and rub the side of my head from the temple over the ear and down to the back of the neck, it helps to release blockages in the supply of blood to the eyes, which most people wearing glasses will have - and this is a great practice for slowing/reversing the growth of cataracts too.

There are also a few yoga schools that have natural vision improvement practices, i know of one ashram in southern india that has a week long retreat program specifically on this. Haven't done it myself, and don't actually know anyone who has, but can try to dig out the url if you're interested.

Thanks for posting this, I will read the books again myself and get re-inspired!

Hello there!

Here's a website that you might find useful: www.eye-exercises-for-good-vision.com

Some useful tips there.

Also, supplement with premium quality fish oils. Results will be quickly apparent. And there's loads of other nutritional benefits attached! (Not sure if you can get the *Eskimo* range where you are, but its about the best in the market where i am - of course its always available on-line).

TCM has some very effective remedial herbs for improving the eyes. Worth asking a practitioner i think.

All the best NC!

does anyone know which energetic poitns on the body and what organs have a special relationship with the eyes?

e.g. the ears are considered to have a close relationship with the kidneys. walking on the knees are good for the kidneys. Slapping the kidney 1 point on the feet are also good for the kidneys. Etc.

I use to have 20/20 vision but uh.. That went down the drain pretty quickly.. same with periphiral vision (however you spell that). Any way my vision isen't even that bad although I dont feel like my I can actually focus what im looking at.. What I meant by not bad is I can read words from far but I guess my eyesight just isent very sensitive as it was.. Almost the same with my hearing sadly.

Anyway I was wondering what practices/food/herbs I might be able to consider..

This may or may not make sense depending on your level of experience.

But the vision problem you describe, in terms of qi-mechanism, is a narrowing of the vision field. Unlike farsightedness, which tends to be a deficient blood/Jing problem (and consequently really only happens in older people and those with weak heredity), nearsightedness is a problem of qi-stagnation.

Getting too focused on close up objects like books and computers for long periods of time are one of the causative factors. However, taking a step further into the abstract, nearsightedness has to do with the way you think. Fixating on problems, over thinking, qi accumulates on the center-line of the forehead. And this is important because it has everything to do with peripheral vision - it's a tunnel sightedness, in vision and mind.

There are herbs for the condition but I won't describe them as they are problematic when not combined properly - but any good herbalist should be able to help. Acupuncture can also help assuming the practitioner understands the qi-mechanism behind the problem.

As for a practice, here's technique: wipe the forehead from the center to the back of your neck and shoulders. Slow, fast, experiment with the rhythm - you'll find the right one and it won't always be the same. Use this to understand the mechanism, but you don't need to follow it rigidly. Stretching your arms out in front and moving them out to your peripheral vision is another technique. Understand the Qi and you can just do it with your mind when you notice nearsightedness/tunnel vision & excess thinking.

This will also help problems with the back of the head and neck ache (a non-intense but noticeable discomfort that is relieved by touch). The mechanism here is that qi is being diverted, starting in the heart region and flowing directly to the forehead (bypassing the occipital region and vertex). In good health it should flow up the back of the neck, across the top of the head, and down to the forehead.

Let me know if this helps.

SYD