Iskote

Taoist Terms

功夫 (gong1 fu5) = "human achievement" or "skill from effort."

功夫 is also a synonym for 工夫 (gong1 fu5), which signifies time.

So, 功夫 is essentially the skill developed with lots of time & effort.

功夫 takes a lot of time and effort to obtain and accumulate, therefore it is considered the most important part of martial art training.

功夫 is the simple plain fundamentals that is behind all the fancy moves and forms.

I would like to add:

內葯( internal medicine ) : it is said that the internal medicine lets you accomplish your Mind ("內葯了性");

Which seems referring to yang in Kan;

外葯(external medicine ): it is said that the external medicine lets you accomplish your everlasting Life ("外葯了命" ); That is ,because Pre-heavenly qi from outside is boundless, after grasping it from outside into our body , we are privileged to live forever .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

It is good fortune for me to aks my indefinite questions about special terms in Daoism :P

Apologize me if those be from my rudimentary mind.

I have read about two different degrees of man states in Daoism, that is of "True Man" (pinyin: zhen ren) and "Transcendent Man" (jun ren).* I know the characters of the first is 真人; but i have not find any proper character for jun that means "Transcendent". May it be 君, I dont know; but whatever I search for it, there is no much results for 君人 in the texts like Laozi, Zhuangzi, Liezi, Taiping jing, Wenzi and so on, as be suitable for that highest degree of human states.

I am thankful much of you if liberate me from this unknowing by led to the Unknowing!

* I Read it here, Guenon, Rene, The Great Triad, Sophia Perennis.

It is good fortune for me to aks my indefinite questions about special terms in Daoism :P

I have read about two different degrees of man states in Daoism, that is of "True Man" (pinyin: zhen ren) and "Transcendent Man" (jun ren).* I know the characters of the first is 真人; but i have not find any proper character for jun that means "Transcendent". May it be 君, I dont know; but whatever I search for it, there is no much results for 君人 in the texts like Laozi, Zhuangzi, Liezi, Taiping jing, Wenzi and so on, as be suitable for that highest degree of human states.

I am thankful much of you if liberate me from this unknowing by led to the Unknowing!

Hello friend. Where have you heard the term 'jun ren'?

In Confucianism there is a term 君子, jūnzǐ, which translates literally as 'lord's son', and which

means something like 'exemplary person' or 'noble person'. In Confucianism, a jūnzǐ is

a person of exemplary virtue in the Confucian sense. Could this be the term you are thinking of?

Best wishes...

:)

Edited by Iskote

What I know are ji ren ( 至人; Super-person ) and Jin Ren ( 真人, Real -person) ;Both refer to some kind immortals .

One important saying is "至人無夢" . ( The Super -person does not dream ) .

• Like 1

Hello friend. Where have you heard the term 'jun ren'?

In Confucianism there is a term 君子, jūnzǐ, which translates literally as 'lord's son', and which

means something like 'exemplary person' or 'noble person'. In Confucianism, a jūnzǐ is

a person of exemplary virtue in the Confucian sense. Could this be the term you are thinking of?

Best wishes...

What I know are ji ren ( 至人; Super-person ) and Jin Ren ( 真人, Real -person) ;Both refer to some kind immortals .

Tanks a lot for your guidance

What a pithy qoutation, it is similar to 'the state of sleeping without any dream' which is the highest degree of being Universal Man in the Vedanta as is in the Upanishads and Hinduism.

Now this term (jun ren) is as much as strange for us that is in the most familiar mode for Guenon. He tell about it easily and in different places as such and always reagarding to Daoism. Anyway Junzi (君子) originally is not a Confucian term but in the Yijing we see it all over of the book. zi (子) can be translated as 'Master' and oldest pictographs of jun (君) refer to a person who has a rod in his right hand. I guess that junzi in the Yinjing is higher degree of man who is not man yet and then we should not use ren (人) for jun. Also I saw a renjun (人君) which may be the same and refer to one who passed the human states.

Anyway I dont know if any of these gusses be true.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Is this meant to mean that the Super-person is able to continue meditating while he sleeps, rather than dream? Or does it mean that the Super-person has no desire, and therefore does not dream of those desires?

Edited by Capital

Is this meant to mean that the Super-person is able to continue meditating while he sleeps, rather than dream? Or does it mean that the Super-person has no desire, and therefore does not dream of those desires?

Dreaming or sleeping can be a criterion to verify how high you have upgrade your spirit

in your cultivation :

First : Your usual bad sleep becomes a good sleep;

Second : You can detach from your sleep , you become some kind of bystander of your sleeping status

Third: No dreaming arises in your sleep

Fourth: No need to sleep

Fifth : Your spirit can detach from your physical body at your own will..

bump-ety bump :ninja:

PS:

General discussion is slowly turning into Lame Land!!

"Transcendent Man" (jun ren) 尊人

A Super-person has been reached to his ultimate. Therefore, he has no desire to be dreamed of.