findley

An informal report on the Taoist summit, Beijing

I know Mal was going to do something like this too... I was interested in doing something of the same.

First, I would like to thank the Taoist organization that sponsored the event. The summit took place in a 5 star hotel, they gave me free books, and served me a feast in a modern-day palace. I know some people have managed to turn Taoism into some sort of anti-materialist (read: dogmatic) philosophy... but they are fools. I enjoyed all of it. Thank you.

It is a shame that the majority of presenters were so terrible. The first evening was really dissapointing. One professor turned Taoism into the aforementioned anti-materialist dogmatic philosophy, (Jesus...) Another professor didnt seem to know anything about Taoism and used the floor to talking about climate change.. one guy was apparantly speaking english.. but eh... not really... and eh... some ridiculous screwball astrology/personality stuff.

It was pretty bad.

The next day was better. there were a few professors with a spot-on understanding of the tao te Ching, whom I enjoyed hearing from very much. I got one of their cards... I shouldnt have missed that other lady... but they were excellent. (give a woot for the academics !)

There was one lady who taught us how to move our spine. She was nice, but I didnt really talk to her.

There was another lady who was more of a crone, and she was nuts. She, of course, lectured on some notes she tore out of a mantak chia book.

MICHEAL WINN WAS THERE !! So amazing. I never thought I would meet a grandmaster. I crouched by his side and asked him, as genuinely, humbly, politely as possible if he could, maybe, help open my mind to reality. That he had a really big influence on my life as a teenager... but that i had since become skeptical because nothing really came out of the practice. He asked me if I bought his audio tapes... i said no, I read the books... he said I needed to by the audio tapes because the teachings go to the kidneys, and there is too much interference when you read a book, you just can't 'get it'. So I asked for a live transmission... he kind of ignored that... I need to buy his tapes...

So I continued on with lunch and met some dudes from hong kong. They seemed pretty cool. one looked like mantak chia ! One doctor (director of some or other in hong kong,) gave me his card... he seemed nice, though he talked about rituals and life after death and stuff... so... I half suspect he was testing if I actually read the TTC before.

Micheal winns lecture was completely bogus. He spent 20 minutes takling about how spiritual progress can only be gauged subjectively. for 20 minutes. (I just made the point in a single sentence. holy jesus it took him 20 minutes.) I got to ask him a question, and he dodged and spouted some stupid bullshit. Apparantly being a master wizard that can talk to atlanteans doesnt necessarily make you very smart.

He's an idiot. and probbaly much more than that.

There was one guy from italy who works on 'quantum fields' (I think he called them,) and he seemed to actually be the 'real deal'. he gave me his card, and I need to email him... Maybe he was just really handsome, who knows. hes the president of the Taoist association, italy. breath of fresh air standing next to the 5-element fusion screwbags.

Be careful guys. most of you are making screwbags out of yourselves. You do NOT want to be that crazy crone lady, and you do NOT want to be the next Micheal winn.

Just stay smart, stay scientific, and read lots of books, ok?

PS pelase dont judge me writing style here. If I wanted to do a good job of this, it would turn into a big deal....

Nice report 'findley', your writing is fine, informative and down-to-earth. Thanks for sharing!

He asked me if I bought his audio tapes... i said no, I read the books... he said I needed to by the audio tapes because the teachings go to the kidneys, and there is too much interference when you read a book, you just can't 'get it'.

Of course buy the books and donate to the Michael Winn retirement fund! I was never really sure about that guy after reading his book but when he acts the way he did with you then he seems like an imbecile.

So did you buy the tapes? hahahah just kidding. Good report! Seems that the summit wasn't run by any real Taoist priests from China? I'd be very disappointed.

Sometimes you do not have to "go to the mountain" when the mountain is already in front of you.

www.wudangtao.com

Sorry had to plug my master. hahahahh

I know Mal was going to do something like this too... I was interested in doing something of the same.

First, I would like to thank the Taoist organization that sponsored the event. The summit took place in a 5 star hotel, they gave me free books, and served me a feast in a modern-day palace. I know some people have managed to turn Taoism into some sort of anti-materialist (read: dogmatic) philosophy... but they are fools. I enjoyed all of it. Thank you.

It is a shame that the majority of presenters were so terrible. The first evening was really dissapointing. One professor turned Taoism into the aforementioned anti-materialist dogmatic philosophy, (Jesus...) Another professor didnt seem to know anything about Taoism and used the floor to talking about climate change.. one guy was apparantly speaking english.. but eh... not really... and eh... some ridiculous screwball astrology/personality stuff.

It was pretty bad.

The next day was better. there were a few professors with a spot-on understanding of the tao te Ching, whom I enjoyed hearing from very much. I got one of their cards... I shouldnt have missed that other lady... but they were excellent. (give a woot for the academics !)

There was one lady who taught us how to move our spine. She was nice, but I didnt really talk to her.

There was another lady who was more of a crone, and she was nuts. She, of course, lectured on some notes she tore out of a mantak chia book.

MICHEAL WINN WAS THERE !! So amazing. I never thought I would meet a grandmaster. I crouched by his side and asked him, as genuinely, humbly, politely as possible if he could, maybe, help open my mind to reality. That he had a really big influence on my life as a teenager... but that i had since become skeptical because nothing really came out of the practice. He asked me if I bought his audio tapes... i said no, I read the books... he said I needed to by the audio tapes because the teachings go to the kidneys, and there is too much interference when you read a book, you just can't 'get it'. So I asked for a live transmission... he kind of ignored that... I need to buy his tapes...

So I continued on with lunch and met some dudes from hong kong. They seemed pretty cool. one looked like mantak chia ! One doctor (director of some or other in hong kong,) gave me his card... he seemed nice, though he talked about rituals and life after death and stuff... so... I half suspect he was testing if I actually read the TTC before.

Micheal winns lecture was completely bogus. He spent 20 minutes takling about how spiritual progress can only be gauged subjectively. for 20 minutes. (I just made the point in a single sentence. holy jesus it took him 20 minutes.) I got to ask him a question, and he dodged and spouted some stupid bullshit. Apparantly being a master wizard that can talk to atlanteans doesnt necessarily make you very smart.

He's an idiot. and probbaly much more than that.

There was one guy from italy who works on 'quantum fields' (I think he called them,) and he seemed to actually be the 'real deal'. he gave me his card, and I need to email him... Maybe he was just really handsome, who knows. hes the president of the Taoist association, italy. breath of fresh air standing next to the 5-element fusion screwbags.

Be careful guys. most of you are making screwbags out of yourselves. You do NOT want to be that crazy crone lady, and you do NOT want to be the next Micheal winn.

PS pelase dont judge me writing style here. If I wanted to do a good job of this, it would turn into a big deal....

oh nonono the actual summit was set up by the official Taoist organization here in China. Preists were everywhere-- they even had a bunch of them sit in the english seminar to fill the seats.

I am assumign the problem was that they just didnt get enough decent applications in... so they just let anyone who submitted a paper present.

One question: Was it in English?

If so then it was a tourist event.

Here is a search box that will search all the news stations in China:

There has been no mention of it on any of them.

Try the same search for Buddhist Association

http://english.cctv.com/01/index.shtml

Here are the results of my search using the words: Taoist meeting Beijing

http://web.search.cctv.com/olsearch.php?so...y_1=&day_2=

If you are a foreigner in China - Everything is a Test.

The problem comes from they all want to be the authority that judges- you.

But this can work both ways - You can be the authority that judges Them as well...

If you were in Hong Kong, you should have e-mailed me - I would have taken you to a real Taoist temple.

It has the entire Taoist Cannon.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/attrac...sin-temple.html

Edited by ~jK~

Good report in essence (minus some insults). I don't have to remind you about this:

Those who know, don't talk

Those who talk, don't know

You have already seen this vid but I will post it again:

It is not about the location. He could be living anywhere in the world, it's the meaning behind the words.

Good report in essence (minus some insults). I don't have to remind you about this:

Those who know, don't talk

Those who talk, don't know

W'o'W- N.o.W if we all only followed our own advice...

My thoughts on this revolve around the IggY - observe as I follow my own ;)

Findley, I'm sure you meant to be "genuinely humbly & polite as possible" but you may have immediately insulted him by saying you studied his material and it didn't give you anything. After the insult you followed it with "open my mind to reality" (I have a few minutes) and ended with give me an intimate powerful transmission.

The pattern of insult, unrealistic request then asking for gift is not going to work on the majority of practitioners. Whatever there field people approached this way are going to say 'buy the tape' and move away.

I took a class w/ Winn. On one hand the man definitely has an ego, but is also very knowledgeable and open to sharing. He'd eat with us, chew the fat and was willing to discuss and share what he knew. At a seminar I organized a camp fire and he came and was 'one of the guys'. I don't think he calls himself a high grandmaster or puts on airs like one.

All teachers need to be approached with respect. Without establishing some connection making 'gimme requests' is going to fall on deaf ears.

Michael

The pattern of insult, unrealistic request then asking for gift is not going to work on the majority of practitioners.

nice to see some good wisdom post from time to time... :)

Yeah, you ####### wish Thelerner.

The guy wrote the book on healing tao sex, made all the wood in his house crack while working on the wood element in his practice, and speaks to atlanteans. We buy HIS tapes looking for IMMORTALITY.

So just where the hell do you get off saying that he 'doesn't put on airs' of being a 'grandmaster'?

THIS GUY AND PEOPLE LIKE HIM ###### WITH MY TEENAGE SPIRITUALITY THELERNER. FOR YEARS I WAS OBSESSED WITH THIS CULT BULLSHIT. SO HOW THE HELL DARE YOU SAY THAT HE DIDN'T OWE ME ANYTHING.

I didn't insult him. (However, how cunning of you to make that implication!) If he was 'insulted' because I failed to get anywhere with that material, then really is that my fault, or his?

pffsht. You think he's 'knowledgable'? For being the only person in the world who can teach atlantean nei-kung, HE'S AN IDIOT THELERNER. Stand him next to a professor of philosophy, or at least somebody who has taken a couple semesters of LOGIC, and this will be plain to see.

'One of the guys'. what-the-#### ever.

'micheal' -- #### ###.

... little1 you're such a spoon.

~~~ moderation edit ~~~

Edited out profanity.

- Trunk

~~~ TTBs Moderation Team ~~~

Yeah, you fucking wish Thelerner.

The guy wrote the book on healing tao sex, made all the wood in his house crack while working on the wood element in his practice, and speaks to atlanteans. We buy HIS tapes looking for IMMORTALITY.

So just where the hell do you get off saying that he 'doesn't put on airs' of being a 'grandmaster'?

THIS GUY AND PEOPLE LIKE HIM FUCKED WITH MY TEENAGE SPIRITUALITY THELERNER. FOR YEARS I WAS OBSESSED WITH THIS CULT BULLSHIT. SO HOW THE HELL DARE YOU SAY THAT HE DIDN'T OWE ME ANYTHING.

I didn't insult him. (However, how cunning of you to make that implication!) If he was 'insulted' because I failed to get anywhere with that material, then really is that my fault, or his?

pffsht. You think he's 'knowledgable'? For being the only person in the world who can teach atlantean nei-kung, HE'S AN IDIOT THELERNER. Stand him next to a professor of philosophy, or at least somebody who has taken a couple semesters of LOGIC, and this will be plain to see.

'One of the guys'. what-the-fuck ever.

'micheal' -- FUCK YOU.

Just curious, have you given any thought to whether you control your emotions or they you?

I should think it would be damn near impossible to maintain any sort of healthy relationship, let alone follow the 'middle path' we call Daoism with so much anger. This isn't a judgment (I used to have anger issues too) I'm just saying it might be a lot healthier to relax a little man. At this rate you could very well end up dying of a heart attack or a stroke by the time you hit 30. To make matters worse since no one will like you enough to call and say 'hi', it might be weeks before they even find the body. :blink:

jeez dude... weeks before they find the body... wow...

Was that a bit over the top? I couldn't let the post sound TOO serious or it would just come off as critcizing a complete stranger instead of friendly obsevation. Hyperbole seemed perfect for this. (not sure why but that's my favorite word today. :P hope I'm using it right) I also suspect this might be due to my spending too much time corrupting wishes :D

p.s. Cutlery humor is vastly under-rated. Just try to keep in mind that spooning leads to forking so it is actually a very serious matter ;)

I still have not seen any news on TV or otherwise that this meeting of Taoists existed in Beijing or otherwhere.

Here is a search box that will search all the news stations in China:

There has been no mention of it on any of them.

Try the same search for Buddhist Association

http://english.cctv.com/01/index.shtml

Here are the results of my search using the words: Taoist meeting Beijing

http://web.search.cctv.com/olsearch.php?so...y_1=&day_2=

Hi Findley,

Back to your initial post - thanks for sharing your perspective of the event.

But regardless of the success of this summit at least efforts are being made to make it an annual event and make Taoism a better known philosophy.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Peace & Love!

You know what, marblehead

I didnt do it for you.

'peace and love'

edit: I wonder if you conform your behavior any more to standards you think imitate an enlightened sense of being. . . You will ever see through yourself?

Edited by findley

You know what, marblehead

I didnt do it for you.

'peace and love'

edit: I wonder if you conform your behavior any more to standards you think imitate an enlightened sense of being. . . You will ever see through yourself?

Why so arrogent, defensive and combative?

Can't you just be a nice guy?

You don't need to wonder about me - you have plenty of your own problems to deal with.

I am what I am, I respond to my environment in whatever means is appropriate. You, however, appear to have something to prove to someone. I have no idea who that someone is. Maybe yourself?

Before you try to understnad me I think you should try to understand yourself first.

And BTW, I don't need you to judge me from your state of ignorance in order for me to know who and what I am.

So you go ahead on and be whatever it is you think you are but I am pretty sure what you really are is nothing like what you pretend to be.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

This thread is hilarious. Great application of "screwbag" and "spoon".

The summit sounds like a bust though. What part of Beijing was it in? Where all the presenters foreigners?

As for cultivation only being gauged subjectively - that's BS. For instance, Chinese medicine is one practical application of understanding Dao. Plus, anyone who has done any serious cultivation can easily spot who has cultivated and who is just talking. If it could only be gauged subjectively, the only result from cultivating would be becoming, "holier than thou". What a waste of time. Cultivation has results in the material world, not just the spiritual world, because they're the same place.

Shen and Hun cultivation are readily apparent in the eyes and mind. Po and Jing cultivation are obviously observed on the body and health. The only thing I know to be exclusively subjective in gravity is a flight of imagination.

Using insults to prove a point... pitiful...

You look very brave pushing the buttons of the keyboard from a safe distance. I doubt you would speak the same if you were in the reach of my humble paws.

Shen and Hun cultivation are readily apparent in the eyes and mind. ...

A1! You can surely look in the eyes and KNOW!