Sign in to follow this  
Zhuo Ming-Dao

Inducing Labor

My wife is currently about a week overdue with our wonderful, healthy baby. So far we have not seen a huge amount of progress and our doctor is already starting to talk about induction for the near future. We are currently against the idea of pitocin or artificial rupturing of the waters, but are curious to hear others thoughts on the more natural induction methods.

We are just waiting now, but if things don't pick up in the next week or so we would rather have some more natural methods than having to do a c-section eventually.

So any thoughts or advice is welcome - herbs, energetic practices, pressure points, wives tales, and what-have-you. Even if you are particularly for or against inductions (medical or otherwise) I would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you everyone!

My wife is currently about a week overdue with our wonderful, healthy baby. So far we have not seen a huge amount of progress and our doctor is already starting to talk about induction for the near future. We are currently against the idea of pitocin or artificial rupturing of the waters, but are curious to hear others thoughts on the more natural induction methods.

We are just waiting now, but if things don't pick up in the next week or so we would rather have some more natural methods than having to do a c-section eventually.

So any thoughts or advice is welcome - herbs, energetic practices, pressure points, wives tales, and what-have-you. Even if you are particularly for or against inductions (medical or otherwise) I would love to hear your opinions.

Thank you everyone!

My other half/soon-to-be-wife says walking, sex, and fresh pineapple cores are allegedly helpful for inducing labor. Prenatal yoga ranks high as well. Reasonable ETAs for new kids is anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks gestation, so yer good to go. Best wishes from both of us!!

Ha ha ha! That's hilarious that you'd post that--Im a nursing student, and just watched a C-section for the first time today. It was pretty rough, even though they did a good job. IMO, it is the furthest thing I can imagine from being natural.

If all else fails, ask for an induction with Cytotech, and then Pitocin. The Cytotech helps to 'ripen' the cervix. Pitocin is a synthetic form of a naturally occurring hormone called Oxytocin--which is associated with the emotion love. Oxytocin causes the contractions. If the bodies Oxytocin isn't doing it, the Pitocin will, but they cervix has to be dilated to about to 2 before they start Pitocin--you wouldn't want the uterus to blast the baby out a cervix that isnt fully dilated.

Anyway, stimulating the womans nipples--in a sexual way, sucking, licking, or just gently rubbing-will stimulate an increase in Oxytocin. If they haven;t told you that slap them! There is whats called a contraction stress test (IIRC), where they have the woman (or her partner) stimulate her nipples, the goal being to bring about 3 contractions like--30 or 40 seconds duration within a 10 minute period. It really works--that's one of many reasons that breast feeding is THE BEST thing for baby and mom--it helps increase her Oxytocin levels, which causes the uterus to contract more, (can cause cramps) which helps stop post partum bleeding. When the uterus contracts down, it closes off the blood vessels that fed the placenta. Moms who breast feed return to pre baby weight faster, and honestly, the AMAZING benefits of breast feeding are magical--real magic.

So, feel free to PM me, I'll tell you anything I can. If you wind up having to go with a C section, its not the end of the world, however THIS is worth noting--there are nerves which travel through the lower abdominal region that are involved in sexual activity and sensation--branches of the Vagus (10th Cranial Nerve) I think--and they are often severed (Partially of fully, IDK) with a C-section. I *think* there is greater risk of this with a tranverse lower abdominal incision than the one where its off to one side. One of our BRILLIANT Women Nursing Instructors (long time surgery/O.R. nurse) said that when men have an abdominal incision like that, care is taken to avoid severing those nerves. But not so with women and c-sections. Kind of fucked up if you ask me, after all these moms do to bring us into the world, and no one thinks about making sure they keep their sexuality healthy.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE TAO, PLEASE DONT CIRCUMCISE YOU CHILD!! It is a cultural form of body modification, and has NO MEDICAL BENEFIT AT ALL!! NONE!!! IT IS MUTILATION!! I say this without appology, and can refute every argument in existence for circumcision.

I hope this helps--and please, realize Im totally insane, and therefore not responsible for anything bad that may happen by following my advice, also Im a ghost and therefore not able to be sued. Damn litigious society..

It'll come when it's ready. My son was like 2 weeks 'overdue' and we'd gone to the midwife to discuss induction and literally that day... contractions began. 13 hours or so later I had my beautiful 9lbs boy in my arms showing him off to my parents while his mom slept it off.

In digging through Deadman's manual, I found a decent amounts of points that are contraindicated during pregnancy as they will induce labor - that might help...from a qualified practitioner, of course :D

Regarding circumcision... there is increasing evidence that circumcision actually inhibits the spread of STDs, HIV in particular.

My wife is currently about a week overdue with our wonderful, healthy baby.

Our second son was delivered on Monday evening after a chemical (applied hormone gel) induction. The labour was pretty fast but the delivery was natural (rahter than C-section).

We're both very happy about the way things turned out. It can go well.

Cheers

Rob

Anyway, stimulating the womans nipples--in a sexual way, sucking, licking, or just gently rubbing-will stimulate an increase in Oxytocin. If they haven;t told you that slap them! There is whats called a contraction stress test (IIRC), where they have the woman (or her partner) stimulate her nipples, the goal being to bring about 3 contractions like--30 or 40 seconds duration within a 10 minute period. It really works--that's one of many reasons that breast feeding is THE BEST thing for baby and mom--it helps increase her Oxytocin levels, which causes the uterus to contract more, (can cause cramps) which helps stop post partum bleeding. When the uterus contracts down, it closes off the blood vessels that fed the placenta. Moms who breast feed return to pre baby weight faster, and honestly, the AMAZING benefits of breast feeding are magical--real magic.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE TAO, PLEASE DONT CIRCUMCISE YOU CHILD!! It is a cultural form of body modification, and has NO MEDICAL BENEFIT AT ALL!! NONE!!! IT IS MUTILATION!! I say this without appology, and can refute every argument in existence for circumcision.

Second that, and That! :lol::lol:

Awesome advice. The Oxytocin link between the cervix and the nipples is huge.

Also when she is in labour you can help ease the contraction pain by pressing the holes in her Sacrum, she will love you for it :)

Good Luck!

I'm with the please don't circumcise your kid vote :)Here's an interesting documentary made by a Jewish guy exploring the whole thing, that's pretty well done.

I've given birth three times and I learned with this last one (almost 18 months ago) that I could help the "Braxton Hicks" contractions by meditating and moving into them, softening my body into non resistance and letting the contractions go as long as they would without me interfering or moving. I believe this helped me into labor this last time and is worth trying frequently, but ultimate softening and relaxation are the important key, it's kind of like hypnobirthing, she has to feel the contractions and submit to them in her own silent inner space.

Other things that help, going up and down lots of stairs, bouncing about on exercise balls, lots of sex since semen is a natural cervix softener. Too much nipple stimulation can cause fetal distress and this isn't good either so don't go overboard, just as too much Oxytocin, just do it frequently, lovingly and gently. Chiropracters can sometimes help, worth a try, and there is traditional chinese medicine tactics that can be used if you can find an experienced practitioner.

Edited by soundhunter

Sign in to follow this