Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Human longevity

So humanity is going to accept a new calender in 2012? Where time travels 10 times faster? Interesting... It's always okay to be wrong. :)

Stop taking "magic pills" and stick to the topic. Thanks.

Amen.

I'm sorry that I don't humor you but I just don't see humanity reaching a life span of 10 centuries, most of us wont even last 3 years.

As for the pills, I've never taken any.

Well, I am not here to entertain anyone.

Stick to the topic and stop trolling this thread, thank you very much.

durkhrod chogori,

How long do you want to live? Don't give a fear-based answer, but try to look at your life from the point of view of pure enjoyment. In other words, imagine that upon death you will be transported into a very good and happy place (this is in order to take fear out of equation, and not because it's necessarily true). Now with this in mind, I ask you, how long do you want to be here on this planet? Don't try to intellectualize. Just hit the first answer that jumps out from your core.

Your life will be within that order of magnitude. It may be plus or minus 30% or even 50%, and plus or minus various accidents and strange events, but mostly it is however long you really want to be here.

That's my view. In my view, birth and death are intentional. Now how would energy practice change this? In my opinion, it wouldn't change this unless you had an unpleasant body that made living miserable that you later healed with some energy practice. However, if your body is already pleasant to be in, you are not likely to extend your life much with such practice, in my opinion.

Living on Earth has more to do with purpose than with the body. If you examine all the long-living people, by the end of their lives, most of them had meaningless and useless lives. They were passive and mentally near-dead, not learning anything new, pretty much just existing. One has to wonder if they were not simply stubbornly clinging to life.

Consider a different realm. There is a realm where it takes 90 years to become an adult. It takes that long to absorb all that you need to know to survive on your own. How long do you think you will live then? You will live much longer. You will live about 300-400 years in that case.

In the past, you would become an adult at 13. Now we consider people to be kids even at 25 sometimes. This indicates increased longevity. Energy practice cannot even begin to touch this fact. There are energies far deeper and more profound than those you can tinker with in energy practice. For example, can you become a child? And I don't mean reducing wrinkles of feeling better, I mean, can you shrink your body to that of a child with energy practice? No? Then you don't have the kind of control you need to live arbitrarily long, or to even live 500 years.

If you get your practice to the point where you cast no shadow and you can go through walls, maybe then you can live 1000 years, if you don't get bored first (highly debatable).

So, I wouldn't say it's impossible to live very long, but there is time and season for all things. There are realms where 10000 year lives are normal. Now why try to jump over your own knees? Why not enjoy your natural life span? Death is not a curse. Make every day count.

If we discover a way to live 10,000 years, we could set off for distant stars in gigantic starships. Colonies won't be necessary because we can see the destination for ourselves! Other than cost, preservation of sanity is the only major problem I can think of, but maybe an on-board biosphere will take care of that.

If we discover a way to live 10,000 years, we could set off for distant stars in gigantic starships. Colonies won't be necessary because we can see the destination for ourselves! Other than cost, preservation of sanity is the only major problem I can think of, but maybe an on-board biosphere will take care of that.

I'm not interested in changing anyone's views, I'd just like to state mine...

Personally... I'd rather move on to the afterlife.

No sense in flying through space in a ship when you could be flying through light with a conscience.

How long do you want to live? Don't give a fear-based answer, but try to look at your life from the point of view of pure enjoyment.

Enjoyment? Yeah right, noticed how our tastes change to more and more mundane (pursuit of subtlety or boredom?) or fetish-oriented (addiction) forms of entertainment as we grow older? Even from the perspective of enjoyment, everyone will want to die at some stage IMO. As for myself, I intend to live until my continued existence causes severe harm to other beings. I don't want to live 1,000 years if it means the environment will be taxed beyond breaking point. This isn't a "fear-based argument", it's simple concern for the well-being of others, disconnected from reptilian-brain originated concerns for myself.

I'm not interested in changing anyone's views, I'd just like to state mine...

Personally... I'd rather move on to the afterlife.

No sense in flying through space in a ship when you could be flying through light with a conscience.

Even if there is no afterlife or it involves eternity in hell? (don't worry, I think the pain will get boring soon enough without external interference :lol: ) Still, how do you know you'll get what you want after death? Have you died before? What if you find Anubis weighing your heart against his feather?

Edited by nac

Li Ching always comes up on discussions about longevity. "1. Li Ching-Yuen (born 1677 or after died May 6, 1933).

alleged lifespans of 199 and 256 years" If his story is true (which I doubt) it shows the flaw in his method. What I mean is -Why wasn't he able to teach his way to his wives, children, grandchildren etc...Did they not care? Did he not mind them dying??

It seems more likely that many of them did and could not duplicate his success. There are ascetics past and present who have devoted every moment of life to practice and they age and die like the regular population or at least not all that differently.

I think the biological clock starts running down in our 60's, at best late 70's if we work out, eat right, good genetics, then its a downward spiral physically. Mentally and spiritually there are fewer limits.

Michael

Personally, I tend to think that the more deeply that I can meditate over time, the less meaning this issue will have for me...but good luck to those who are going for it!!!

Sign in to follow this