Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Screwtape

Threat to TCM in UK. Urgent Action Needed.

What I am about to say affects people living in the UK mainly, but it may be of interest to others. For about ten years, the British government has been discussing plans to regulate complementary medicine, including, of course, Chinese herbal medicine. CM is very popular in the UK, and is even offered for free or at a discount by the National Health Service.

In general, the complementary medicine industry is in favour of regulation. They want to have to meet similar standards to those which are set for conventional medicine. This will help protect the public and put a stop to con artists who are free to set up on any high street.

Now, at the eleventh hour, the government are considering not regulating the industry at all, but loosely licensing CM practitioners. This means they will not be able to buy herbs from third-party suppliers, no matter how reputable, and will have to make up their own prescriptions. This is a time consuming and expensive endeavour that will drive many out of business, and will put severely at risk the safety of the public who will be taking remedies that have met no basic standards.

When EU regulations come into force in 2011, CM practitioners will be banned from practicing all together, as they will not be regulated, driving the industry under ground, which will endanger the public further.

If you want to pressure the government to stick with their initial plans to regulate complementary medicine, thus preventing it from being driven under ground, and guaranteeing as much as can be that those administering it are qualified and experienced and that the remedies they offer have been tested for safety, then you will have to act quickly.

This Thursday there is a House of Lords briefing and it would be great if your local MP would attend on your behalf. The meeting, which will have representatives of several different traditions of herbal medicine attending, has been arranged for them. It runs between 6PM and 8PM, in Room 3, and even if they cannot stay for the duration, explain you'll be grateful if they can at least put in an appearance. You can find who your MP is and their contact information at Find Your MP. Emailing would be better than post what with the current industrial unrest, or you can telephone them at the House of Commons at 020 7219 3000.

You can also just write to or Email your MP with your concerns. There is a template you can use, though the deadline for the consultation has been extended to the 16th of November, so you may want to edit that part.

Another thing you can do is fill in the government questionnaire which is part of the consultation process. It is long, complicated and, in my opinion, absurd in places if you're not an expert, but even an incomplete questionnaire or one with just the boxes ticked will help.

Here is a document that helps you fill it in.

If you're wondering why the sudden rush, it is because after ten years of not much happening, the government have thrown a potential U-turn into the works at the last possible minute, sending the industry into a bit of a panic, to say the least.

I should also add that I am not part of the industry myself. A friend of mine who is put me onto the issue just today. I will try to answer any questions you have but I might not be in a position to do so. Here is a news report, which may help. Or visit The Register of Chinese Medicine. This website from the European Herbal & Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association has some good information too.

Thank you for your time. Tell as many people as you can.

Richard

Edited by Uncle Screwtape

I am so sorry to hear you guys having to face Government's idiocy and lack of vision. Of course Western Medicine will greatly benefit from this.

I hope in the end things will get sorted out favorably towards TCM.

The world is facing darker and more corrupt times ahead. It is happening everywhere as a result of the principle of paticcasamuppada.

All the best.

Here is a template for your MP you may copy and paste if it saves you time.

Dear,

After ten years of moving toward statutory regulation of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the government now seems as if it might do a u-turn and abandon regulation all together. I am concerned as this will put a lot of legitimate practitioners out of business and will open the market still further to inexperienced and unqualified high street 'doctors' who make up prescriptions, that are untested for safety, in a back room.

In 2011, when European legislation comes in, unregulated medical practitioners will not be allow to practice, putting thousands out of work and driving the industry dangerously underground.

Complementary medicine and the NHS have worked well together for many years. All the industry wants is to be regulated like anyone else so that the public can be kept safe. Surely that is not a bad thing?

There is a briefing at the House of Lords, Room 3, Thursday 12th between 6PM and 8PM and I would be very happy if you could attend, even if only briefly.

I am sorry for the short notice, but after ten years the government suddenly threw this into the works at the eleventh hour, which caught the industry off guard.

Yours sincerely,

The final date for the consultation is the 16th of November so there is still time to fill the questionnaire in. That would be really helpful, actually. There is a guide to help you fill it in.

http://newsletter.rchm.co.uk/How_to_respond_to_DH.pdf

The questionnaire can be found here.

http://www.info.doh.gov.uk/questionnaire/a...nnaire?openform

Great! Who is your MP? I just want to keep track of who's been contacted and so on. Might be interesting to see which, if any, MPs attend.

Richard

The House of Lords briefing was a bit of a washout, apparently. Still time to complete the questionnaire before the November 16th deadline. The government have to take into account every one submitted.

http://www.info.doh.gov.uk/questionnaire/a...nnaire?openform

Here is a guide to how to respond to the questions:

Try to put it in your own words, though.

I should add that it isn't just TCM at threat, but all herbal medicine.

Thanks,

Richard

Today is the deadline for the public consultation so there is still time to fill it in. It could make all the difference.

http://www.info.doh.gov.uk/questionnaire/a...nnaire?openform]http://www.info.doh.gov.uk/questionnaire/a...nnaire?openform

Here is a guide to how to respond to the questions:

Richard

I've had a reply from my MP saying she has contacted the Department of Health and will pursue the issue.

Uncle S.,

Can PM you a copy if you want and will let you know what she says when full reply received.

Cheers.

A.

Sign in to follow this