Sign in to follow this  
Taiji Bum

What is Taoism? (Video of me.)

Hi Darin,

I enjoy your posts and agree with much that you say, however, I have to disagree with you here.

I wish you had mentioned in your video that you were describing your understanding of philosophical taoism. I cringed when I heard you say "I'd like to tell you What Is Taoism."

Taoism is like hinduism, there is no ONE standardized sect or practice. While all sects of Tao have some basic things in common like yin and yang and the five elements etc... many sects disagree very sharply with each other. Many sects of Tao believe in reincarnation and the immortality of the unified soul. Before the communist take over of China, Taoism was more varied and different than what is found in China today. (Which has been reformulated by the Chinese gov't.)

The energy transformation process you describe for taoist alchemy is absolutely the most prevalent method practiced but is also not the "Uniform" method of energy cultivation in all of Taoism. Your description of taoist alchemy is a "Earth to Heaven to Earth" method. There is at least one other method which is "Heaven to Earth to Heaven" and is very different in practice, results and feel. None is right or wrong but there are some big differences.

Some sects do believe in a creator god. Some taoist sects have commonalities with buddhism and have merged belief systems with buddhism, shamanism etc.... Philosophical Taoism is a VERY recent invention and is mostly found in the west...

So, I am not saying you are "wrong". If you had said, "in my sect" or "What I was taught about taoism, or My understanding etc... " I would have stayed silent.

Thanks for your thread about no drugs in energy practice. I wholeheartedly agree...

Respectfully,

Mike

What exactly is "philosophical" Taoism and the goal of Taoist alchemy. My take on it anyway......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn6z00mJphk

Your absolutley right fiveelementtao on all points. I did put the many sects of Taoism in the video but edited it out because it was too long. But now that you bring it up I should have left it in. It took 10 takes to get that video because I kept screwing it up. I make outlines and still make mistakes. I am hoping to get better in the future and get a better camera, turn my livingroom into a cool studio and put out more professional looking videos. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Your absolutley right fiveelementtao on all points. I did put the many sects of Taoism in the video but edited it out because it was too long. But now that you bring it up I should have left it in. It took 10 takes to get that video because I kept screwing it up. I make outlines and still make mistakes. I am hoping to get better in the future and get a better camera, turn my livingroom into a cool studio and put out more professional looking videos. Thanks for the positive feedback.

I completely understand... I am putting together some videos for my site and no matter how much I make notes etc... when it comes to shooting the vid, I keep making mistakes...

By the way thanks for the Tai Chi vids, excellent stuff, very informative...

Mike

For me, this video was neither here nor there, but then I followed links on youtube to your other videos where you describe some of your experiences and those were more interesting to watch.

I disagree with your statement that this place is not real while some other place is real. This place is a result of certain conditions in the mind, and what you refer to as, possibly paraphrased, "other eternal place" is no different from this place -- it is also a result of conditions in the mind, and it is no more real.

Just recall your practice. In your practice you have managed to change your state of mind. This resulted in a change of perception. So for a while you had an unusual (from our POV) experience, the transparent earth, the light inside the trees and yourself, and so forth. You could see all that because the conditions have allowed you to see it. As soon as those conditions changed, you couldn't see it anymore. So why would you then call that vision eternal and this vision illusion? It doesn't seem right.

The only thing that I can think of is bias. You like the vision that arose during your practice so much more than what you see in "normal" day to day waking, that you like to think it is eternal, and this vision here, the one that you dislike, is hopefully temporary, eh? Other than this line of thinking, I can't imagine what would prompt you to describe your spiritual visions as evidence of eternity, when in fact, those visions were not static and were changing as much as anything ever is changing.

From my point of view, you have a very flexible (in a good way) mind, but not enough wisdom. In other words, you don't examine your experience critically, you just like to play with it. This leads you to making unwarranted statements (like calling some vision or some realm "eternal").

Edited by goldisheavy

Hi Darin,

Well, I don't feel like picking on you so I won't. Hehehe.

Thanks for your efforts. :)

I will point out that your use of the word 'soul' is generally what I refer to as 'spirit' in that the soul is personal and dies with the body but it is the spirit that returns to Universal Chi (and gets reincarnated or whatever).

Peace & Love!

I have a lot to say and a few insights over the years from visiting different people and teachers. Expect a video response Darin, and remember to hold me to it.

KEWL! :lol:

Sign in to follow this