Mal

How to die?

yes Amitabha Buddha will take you to the Pure Land..... and I'll admit it is an emergency back up plan, hope I pronounce his name correctly.

Being a motorbike rider and having picked up friends off the road, I've often though about this question over the years. Usually along the lines of "I probably should find out what sort of Taoist warrior death traditions there are before it's me lying there in agony." A far away death is easy enough to prepare for, and a painless death free from fear is what we would like. But what if it's today when some blind cage driver decides to roll through that intersection, or it turns out you really couldn't go around that corner that fast and you are sliding towards a solid object intent on bringing your mortality into sharp focus.

Taoism never seems to have a lot of death stuff and we are often left to turn to other traditions for guidance.

yes Amitabha Buddha will take you to the Pure Land..... and I'll admit it is an emergency back up plan, hope I pronounce his name correctly.

Being a motorbike rider and having picked up friends off the road, I've often though about this question over the years. Usually along the lines of "I probably should find out what sort of Taoist warrior death traditions there are before it's me lying there in agony." A far away death is easy enough to prepare for, and a painless death free from fear is what we would like. But what if it's today when some blind cage driver decides to roll through that intersection, or it turns out you really couldn't go around that corner that fast and you are sliding towards a solid object intent on bringing your mortality into sharp focus.

Taoism never seems to have a lot of death stuff and we are often left to turn to other traditions for guidance.

I see. It never hurts to be prepared. :) Taoism is first and foremost a religion in China

so they may well have some equivalent in Taoism to what Amitabha Buddha and Jesus are supposed

to have promised. Deep faith or belief and complete sincerity seems to be a prerequisite though.

It's a very personal thing, no doubt.

P.S., It might be just as well to think about slowing right down on your bike. Tiime will catch up with

us all soon enough. No point tempting fate.

Best wishes...

:)

(yes I {Mal} accidentally hit edit rather than "reply. I apologize for any confusion this may cause)

[iskote: Not a problem Mal. I just re-edited to put my smilies back in though.

They dropped out. I like my smilies... :lol: ]

Edited by Iskote

What can you do? You just keep going. In such a situation very little is intentional. It's mostly instinctual.

If you are about to die, then there is no choice. You just know it and put up with it.

So I guess I don't understand the question... :lol::lol:

Well, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. Karma will take you to your next destination and nothing can stop that. Cultivate your mind and Qi every single instant of your life if you are bound to such tragic finale.

Edited: missed a word.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

I love your question and I feel I will answer it very differently than most. I was surprised to hear people say that you can do nothing because if I understand your scenario correctly, at this time in the story, your mind is still intact, for at least a little while longer and to some extent.

In my studies of philosophy, I have found death very interesting and thought about it a lot. If you do not die instantly, your whole life may be summed up at this very important point and I for one would want to feel that I at least did some really awesome things in this world. So in a way, part of that ending would have to do with my life right now. No matter what happens when I am dead, those last moments could be my own personal heaven or hell!

Then comes what one can consciously do. Luckily I have felt like I was dying before and I have also been hit by a car :rolleyes: Now obviously I didn't die under the car; I didn't even come close to it. But I was pregnant and my leg was being rolled over by how much does a car way again? My one thought in my personal experience was my child. And because of that one thought, I instinctually dragged my body away and that's why the car only got my leg. I also instinctually rolled with the tires which made it hurt much less.

I remember yelling but I never cried. And most of my pain was thankfully not comprehendible.

Certainly other people would have completely different experiences and I don't know if this is comparable because I didn't feel myself slowly dying here.

I've also felt like I was dying but that was either because of a really bad anxiety problem or due to terrible stomach issues I had for most of my life before I cut many things out of my diet. These things may also not be comparable because in both cases, "death" was only in my head.

I suppose that between the two experiences, I can partially conclude that I probably would handle the true experience of death a whole lot better than I can handle life :o .

I think that meditation would be my final resort because I could chant one word over and over in my mind while my mind was still capable of doing so and I would attempt to go through the pain and the fear. And I would still think of my daughter and die proud :)

Perhaps reading other people's near-death stories or looking into experiences you have already had will help you to answer your question more thoroughly, as well. Good luck!

Don't be so surprised that you can't do nothing. Karma is like a wind and at the instant of death before the next cyle of santana's continuum you are at the mercy of it unless you have attained arahantship or buddhahood (in Buddhist terms); that is, you are in control of your destination; in other words, you are somebody with the ability to "exist" without a karmic binding.

Hi Mal,

I have faced death three time so far during my life.

One of them was when I was hit by a truck while riding my bicycle and I was thrown to the pavement of a six lane highway with a broken hip. (Luckily no one ran over me.)

I assure you, there is nothing to worry about.

Peace & Love!

Thank you for raising this most significant question Mal. It merits serious consideration, especially for those who accept the implications of rebirth. I do, therefore this post is forwarded accordingly.

In Tib Buddhism, there is a practice called Phowa which deals specifically with familiarizing oneself with the processes of dying well, which is crucial because, in the greater scheme, it carries one to an auspicious rebirth, and in the lesser scheme, if death occurs without warning, one would hopefully be quite prepared for the humbling occasion.

The following commentary was given by a well-respected Tibetan teacher called Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. It explains the moments when death occurs. May it shed some light on our understanding of death.

"One who has not trained in the recognition of non-dual awareness, will not know how to effect the dharmakaya phowa, therefore the bardo (bardo meaning the intermediate state between two points of time) of dying will progress further.

The outer breath of perceptible inhalation and exhalation will cease, while the inner breath of subtle energies still continue to circulate. Between the ceasing of the outer and inner breaths occur 3 experiences called Appearance, Increase and Attainment.

These take place when the white element from your father, situated at the top of the central channel at the crown of your head, begins to move downwards, inducing an experience of whiteness that is likened to moonlight. Next the red element from your mother, situated below the navel, begins to move upwards to the heart centre, generating an experience of redness that is like sunlight. The meeting of these two elements bring about an experience of blackness followed by unconsciousness.

Simultaneous with the unfolding of these 3 experiences, all the different '80 innate thought states' arising from the 3 poisons of desire, anger and delusion cease. There are 40 thought states that arise from desire, 33 that arise from anger, and 7 from delusion. Every one of these ceases at the moment of blackness. It is like the earth and sky merging: everything suddenly grows dark. The conceptual frame of mind is temporarily suspended. For a practitioner who is familiar with the awakened state of non-conceptual awareness, he or she will not black out and fall unconscious at this point. Instead, he/she will recognize the unceasing and unobstructed state of Rigpa (rigpa is similar to what one feels when all association with body/mind collapses - my own add.).

To reiterate, first there is the whiteness of Appearance, second the redness of Increase, and finally the blackness of Attainment. These 3 are followed by the state called the Ground Luminosity of Full Attainment, which is the dharmakaya itself. People who are unfamiliar with the awakened state of mind revealed by the cessation of conceptual thoughts will at this point revert into a state of oblivion - the pure and undiluted state of ignorance that is the very cause of further samsaric existence.

For most beings, this oblivious state of ignorance lasts until the 'sun rises on the third day'. However, an individual who has received instructions from a spiritual teacher and has been introduced to the true nature of mind can recognize dharmakaya and attain enlightenment at this point, without falling into unconsciousness.

For someone who fails to be liberated at the moment of death, according to the teachings on Liberation Through Hearing in the Bardo (Tib. Bardo Todrol), the ensuing bardo states after death are said to generally last 49 days, with a sequence of events occurring once every 7 days. This is true for a person who has engaged in a mixture of good and bad deeds. For one who has done a great deal of evil, this bardo state (the 49 days) can be very short; he or she may plunge immediately into the lower realms. For very advanced practitioners this bardo is also very short, because there is immediate liberation. But for the ordinary person who is in between these 2 states, this intermediate period between death and rebirth is said to last an average of 49 days."

(Rinpoche goes further to explain in detail what transpires during this intermediate period, but its too long to include here.)

For those who are keen to further explore the Tibetan teachings on death and dying, the following books are recommended:

1) The Tibetan Book of the Dead [shambala Publications]

2) The Mirror of Mindfulness by Tsele Natsok Rangdrol

3) Bardo Guidebook by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche

4) The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche {Highly recommended - Clear, practical advice}

All the best! :)

Edited by CowTao

It's an interesting question to ponder. I have actually thought about it quite a bit, on and off in the past. In the event of a sudden traumatic event, it is important to realize you will not be in your ordinary state of consciousness, like you are now when you think about this future happening. Trauma and injury initiates an altered state of consciousness (time slows down, a dreamlike unreality unfolds), and what you do with your consciousness is extremely important. Rehearsing this mentally perhaps can prepare you to stay present during the experience.

First, don't assume that you're going to die. Some studies have shown that after an accident the altered state one leaves one in a highly suggestible state, and open to hypnotic suggestion. A study done some years ago showed that paramedics trained in extremely basic hypnotic suggestion were able to actually cease trauma victim's hemorrhaging by simply reassuring them and using a basic sort of guided imagery. (I've never understood why this was never implemented in the training of paramedics and EMT's). Obviously, this could work the other way as well, so if you ever are around a trauma victim, be very careful what you say because you can possibly save them or doom them by what you say. I believe if you are a practicing yogi, or meditator or energy practitioner, you can retain enough presence to give yourself suggestions, but I'm just speculating here.

The other thing would be to recite your mantra (e.g., om mani padme hum) or the name of God or something that you have previously practiced, as your 'lifeline' to a conscious recovery or a conscious death. If you have really worked with a mantra, your mind should go more easily to it and may possibly be the only thought you can cling to when you are badly injured.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

in accent Chinese Word:"it is difficult to get a human body, it is even harder to heard Tao, now, you have touch the Tao, what are you waiting for taking the change to enlightened"

so, take care the body that you have got , and be good,

for the hurt part , in accent Chinese Word "in the difficult situational will make your soul more strong"

Good question, but it boils down to a choice of stay or leave.

I have died more than once and would say don't worry about it, you'll make a choice.

From the standpoint of helping others there is a medical qigong method for helping a person that is dieing.

I think there is something that you can do - practice awareness.

Notice everything that is going on. Open yourself up.

It will be your last opportunity to experience Mal's life - drink it up!

Edited by steve f

Good question, but it boils down to a choice of stay or leave.

I have died more than once and would say don't worry about it, you'll make a choice.

From the standpoint of helping others there is a medical qigong method for helping a person that is dieing.

"I have died more than once..."

Intriguing statement Ya Mu. Did you mean in this present life? If so, I would be really really grateful if you will share the experience(s). I'm sure it will be well appreciated.

Thanks.

CT

"I have died more than once..."

Intriguing statement Ya Mu. Did you mean in this present life? If so, I would be really really grateful if you will share the experience(s). I'm sure it will be well appreciated.

Thanks.

CT

I talked about one of the times in my book (struck by lightning). My next book will describe another more recent event. The time I have never talked about is when I was 15 and in a severe car wreck and was in intensive care.

I could sum it all up in saying that the "life is meaningless" thread is oh-so-wrong from my point of view. Life is Sacred and we walk in a Sea of Light. There are things that we can only accomplish here. It is all about raising the energy body vibration rate, practicing Virtue, and aligning oneself with the Sacred. Then Dance in the Wu Wei and do the best you can in finding and fulfilling your destiny.

I talked about one of the times in my book (struck by lightning). My next book will describe another more recent event. The time I have never talked about is when I was 15 and in a severe car wreck and was in intensive care.

I could sum it all up in saying that the "life is meaningless" thread is oh-so-wrong from my point of view. Life is Sacred and we walk in a Sea of Light. There are things that we can only accomplish here. It is all about raising the energy body vibration rate, practicing Virtue, and aligning oneself with the Sacred. Then Dance in the Wu Wei and do the best you can in finding and fulfilling your destiny.

Life may be meaningless but being in trouble is fare from that, and that makes a lot of sence.

We understand nothing but failure and deficiencies.

I don't have the mental stamina to write longer posts.

But in this situation I will be One with the pain and become pain itself.

One Breath at a time.

until i find out that death does not exist.

Easy

I don't know much about death or immortality, but maybe if I train really hard I can choose when/how I'll go aswell as naturally.