Sign in to follow this  
goldisheavy

Amazing and wonderful diverse cultures of Earth

http://www.ted.com/talks/wade_davis_on_end...d_cultures.html

I loved this talk. Hope you might enjoy it too.

Excellent video. Thanks for sharing.

(I think it is amazing how easily we could connect this subject with the subject of suffering. I think that it could be said that even though we in 'civilized' societies could view the living conditions most of these people live in as deplorable, I doubt that many of the peoples spoken of would consider themselves to be suffering.)

Peace & Love!

Excellent video. Thanks for sharing.

(I think it is amazing how easily we could connect this subject with the subject of suffering. I think that it could be said that even though we in 'civilized' societies could view the living conditions most of these people live in as deplorable, I doubt that many of the peoples spoken of would consider themselves to be suffering.)

Peace & Love!

I agree. We have a lot of prejudices. Like we believe ourselves to be smarter and better than animals. We think our culture is the best. As part of the me-centric outlook we include our culture into the bigger me. So the small me is the body, the person, and the big me is the culture I come from, my country, etc. All that stuff is the center of the universe and is the best there is.

What else is interesting is how homogeneous most of our culture is too. All the Judeo-Christian cultures are very similar compared to some of the cultures mentioned in the video. What's ironic is how people get into sectarian behaviors and fight to the death even within a supposedly single religion and culture, while in reality there exist cultures so vastly different, that these people couldn't even conceive of them. So two people with minute differences fight as if it's an enormous difference while the real enormous differences are ignored and for all intents and purposes appear non-existent to the sectarians.

I think some things in our culture are pretty good, but not everything. I think we can learn a lot from all the diverse cultures mentioned in that video. I liked the story of the guy using his shit to make a blade. That's just awesome. To us it would probably be thinking outside the box, but to those people it's probably normal. Our box seems very small to my mind.

I think some things in our culture are pretty good, but not everything. I think we can learn a lot from all the diverse cultures mentioned in that video. I liked the story of the guy using his shit to make a blade. That's just awesome. To us it would probably be thinking outside the box, but to those people it's probably normal. Our box seems very small to my mind.

Agree. We 'civilized' people sem to have decreased the size of our box substantually. That is one of the things I am so grateful regarding my time in the Army. I got to see a lot of different cultures and learned to appreciate their's as well as my own so much more.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this