Sign in to follow this  
Bum Grasshopper

How do you explain Taoism ?

O.K. You have just met someone who is interested in you. The conversation comes around to religion/ spiritual beliefs. You state that you are a Taoist. You see a puzzled look and maybe an eye roll on that person's face as they back away from you. How do you explain Taoism without:

a. Not totally alienating them with esoteric terms

b. Not making it sound like some new- age hokey pokey cult

c. Going off on a long lecture of Taoist practices, ideals and philosophies

I have attempted this on several occasions, but usually end up violating one of the above. Just wondering how you all approach the question.

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

O.K. You have just met someone who is interested in you. The conversation comes around to religion/ spiritual beliefs. You state that you are a Taoist. You see a puzzled look and maybe an eye roll on that person's face as they back away from you. How do you explain Taoism without:

I have attempted this on several occasions, but usually end up violating one of the above. Just wondering how you all approach the question.

Master basic selling skills...

Whenever possible, ask open-ended questions to incite curiosity. Questions that a person would answer with a 'yes' or 'no' usually give rise to awkward silences.

Create relevant opportunities for the the other person to draw upon their own life experiences, and how your philosophy can be reflected from their perspective - not yours.

In any conversation, as in any sales pitch, make the other person, in those few minutes, the most *important* person in the world. If you can succeed in doing this, you can 'sell' anything, even combs to monks! :P

Everybody likes to hear their own names. Makes them feel important. Repeat it as often as you possibly can in a conversation. Addressing them by name, ask them how comfortable they are with (subject). Gauge body language. When their names are used often enough (if you are sitting across from one another), you will notice the other person will start to lean forward very subtly at first, and then a little more each time you make them feel like they are the *star*, and not you.

Be the best listener ever.

These are just simple guidelines. Hope you can find them helpful in simple ways..

Thank you. Be well.

Edited by CowTao

Here is what I would advise you to tell them:

Taoism is a religion, a philosophy--and most importantly--a way of life that originated in China. Taoists believe in living in harmony with the "Tao" which translates as "way." It is the "way" of the universe that governs all of the changes that we see around us. When a person lives by the "three jewels" of moderation, humility and compassion, that person is living the Way.

You could then explain that since every person has their own individual nature, no two "ways" are going to be the same. But as long as a person lives a life characterized by balance, that person is in harmony with the Way.

If asked, "what do Taoists do" or "what do Taoists practice" you could explain the basics of Tai Chi, qigong, the internal martial arts, the I Ching, Feng Shui, etc.

Paraphrasing Zhuangzi

"All my life I have said many things.

Perhaps it would be best if I said nothing at all, and went happily on my way."

A monk asked for a description of the Tao, and received two different responses. He inquired of a third entity which one is accurate - the first answer was poetic and long-winded,

the second simply "I don't know":

"The first one is shallow, the latter is profound."

O.K. You have just met someone who is interested in you. The conversation comes around to religion/ spiritual beliefs. You state that you are a Taoist. You see a puzzled look and maybe an eye roll on that person's face as they back away from you.
Ok, you obviously already pushed her out of her comfort zone. So, if you want to get any further with her, I suggest you back out of that dead end and talk about something else that she's more interested in/comfortable with.

Trust me, I already went through this phase the last 2 years too and have since learned my lesson! Most girls in this country file New Age or Eastern beliefs under the "weird & creepy" category along with cannibalism or headhunting.

Edited by vortex

First SHOW, and the TELL.

If you are a daoist, you'd have something to show by now... mmm?

Paraphrasing Zhuangzi

"All my life I have said many things.

Perhaps it would be best if I said nothing at all, and went happily on my way."

A monk asked for a description of the Tao, and received two different responses. He inquired of a third entity which one is accurate - the first answer was poetic and long-winded,

the second simply "I don't know":

"The first one is shallow, the latter is profound."

Would this not make you look dumb to a non- taoist?

"I am a Taoist"

"What is a Taoist"

"I don't know"

Ok, you obviously already pushed her out of her comfort zone. So, if you want to get any further with her, I suggest you back out of that dead end and talk about something else that she's more interested in/comfortable with.

Trust me, I already went through this phase the last 2 years too and have since learned my lesson! Most girls in this country file New Age or Eastern beliefs under the "weird & creepy" category along with cannibalism or headhunting.

Precisely. Surely everyone has encountered this. There are some that sincerely want to know what your beliefs are. How do you explain it wothout creeping them out?

First SHOW, and the TELL.

If you are a daoist, you'd have something to show by now... mmm?

Showing someone how I can suck my orgasms up my spine and circulate the energy might be a little too much on the first encounter :D

Precisely. Surely everyone has encountered this. There are some that sincerely want to know what your beliefs are. How do you explain it wothout creeping them out?
Why do you have to explain it?

I only explain it now if they seem interested. If not, I simply don't go there. Just like any other topic, I suppose..

I'd say this:

Taoism is just like any major religion in the world, except for the fear of retribution of a jealous or vengeful God, or the over-bearing breathing-down-the-neck of a God or an escapist get-out-of-jail pass of absolution in One man or Woman. In Taoism, the practitioner/follower is the master of his/her destiny and being a good Taoist has to do with following the natural way and order of things. If it seems unnatural or artificial it is not for a Taoist.

Greetings..

I explain that Taoism is the result of nearly 5000 years of studying the rhythms and cycles of Nature.. experiencing the harmony and chaos, and the consequences.. Taoists nurture the harmony..

Be well..

Give examples that relate to her.

I find "it's just about observing nature" or "I'm not sure" pretty good enough answers. Saying something vaguely about it has a lot to offer men tends to get the ears pricking up ;-)

But I also think that the very best way is just to be it and stop talking about Taoism;-)

It just doesn't tend to crop up that way - "Are you a Republican?"

In Taoism, the practitioner/follower is the master of his/her destiny and being a good Taoist has to do with following the natural way and order of things.

Don't Taoists believe in determinism? Or is that just a Chinese folk belief?

Edited by nac

Here is what I would advise you to tell them:

Taoism is a religion, a philosophy--and most importantly--a way of life that originated in China. Taoists believe in living in harmony with the "Tao" which translates as "way." It is the "way" of the universe that governs all of the changes that we see around us. When a person lives by the "three jewels" of moderation, humility and compassion, that person is living the Way.

You could then explain that since every person has their own individual nature, no two "ways" are going to be the same. But as long as a person lives a life characterized by balance, that person is in harmony with the Way.

If asked, "what do Taoists do" or "what do Taoists practice" you could explain the basics of Tai Chi, qigong, the internal martial arts, the I Ching, Feng Shui, etc.

Well, after this post I feel no need to make much of a comment in this thread except to the "If asked ..." I would initially respond only to direct questions until I was sure that the other person actually had an interest in Taoism then I would expand into my beliefs and understandings.

Peace & Love!

Don't Taoists believe in determinism? Or is that just a Chinese folk belief?

Yes. Determination of the individual! There is no destiny, karma, or determinism in Taoist philosophy. We each define our own life.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

How do you explain it without creeping them out?

You could try

"Taoism is a popular Chinese philosophical system based in teachings of Lao-tzu, characterized by a pantheism of many gods and the practices of alchemy, divination and magic" :mellow:

Showing someone how I can suck my orgasms up my spine and circulate the energy might be a little too much on the first encounter :D

:D If you can do playfull and relaxed it won't seem so weird and freaky.... but I must admit I like weird and freaky. But for less freaky conversations I prefer something like "In Taoism everything is in constantly changing..."

and go with their questions, they will either close off or moving in a direction they find interesting. Keep it short, simple and use it more to find out about them rather than a long soliloquies. Keep that for later discussions.

Hmmm well why do you care about creeping them out? I'm not sure if you're talking about a girl here but from the responses that seems to be the case. Anyway, if that is the case, just tell her what YOU think Taoism is. Don't be afraid to just say what you want. Just let it out. Just think, If she is creeped out by a simple explanation of your beliefs straight from your heart, then why would you want to associate yourself with her anyway?

Sign in to follow this