Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Qigong psychosis

Please read the information given in this page very carefully:

http://www.kktanhp.com/kundalini.htm

I would like to kindly ask one of the mods to pin this thread in this forum so newbies coming here for help have a good reference guide.

Be aware that meditation and any other internal energy practice is like a double-edged sword and we are lay practitioners and not monastics and let alone superhumans like Gautama Buddha.

All the best.

I agree that it'd be nice to warn beginners (and reminds ourselves) of the dangers of spiritual practice. And also include tips on how to make it safe.

The article wasn't so great, though.

It is irrelevant whether she was possessed or not but the depth of her words. Anyway anyone who pursues the spiritual alone in today's world is doomed to fail. I can guarantee you that.

The article is very good.

Well if it's money-back guarantee I guess I'll buy it.

SOLD to the man in the Stetson!

It is irrelevant whether she was possessed or not but the depth of her words. Anyway anyone who pursues the spiritual alone in today's world is doomed to fail. I can guarantee you that.

Anyway anyone who pursues the spiritual alone in today's world is doomed to fail.

:huh:

How could you possibly know this to be true?

Well, I am someone saying it isn't. Something much better and clearer could be written.

I think there's good advice about sleeping well, eating balanced, not overdoing things..

But if you're a person prone to mental illness or psychosis, it doesnt necessarily matter whether you meditate or not. The world is a MAD MAD MAD place and if you're very sensitive to it, it just might blow your mind too badly.

Simple Pranayama is safe to learn from a book. Simple Qigong too. As long as you don't force them to happen. BUT it's only relatively safe. Since no-one can guarantee that you're not going to flip out, whether doing practice or not. This lady has obviously flipped way before she did her first full-lotus :D

Edited by King Kabalabhati

Anyway anyone who pursues the spiritual alone in today's world is doomed to fail.

I strongly disagree. Not only that, but I will say that anyone who subdues one's own powers of critical thinking in favor of receiving input from a supposedly enlightened teacher is doomed to fail. So in a sense, you must practice alone if you want to succeed. Having some like-minded friends is a good thing though, if it works out that way for you.

Edited by goldisheavy

...The world is a MAD MAD MAD place and if you're very sensitive to it, it just might blow your mind too badly.

Well put. One awakened mind in this thread so far.

Simple Pranayama is safe to learn from a book. Simple Qigong too. As long as you don't force them to happen. BUT it's only relatively safe. Since no-one can guarantee that you're not going to flip out, whether doing practice or not. This lady has obviously flipped way before she did her first full-lotus :D

Yes fully agree, but the mind will interfere in this process and starts seeking for more, like when preparing for a competitive event. People think that the more the better.

Caution must be always exercised. As one of my Bagua teachers once told me: don't train it, do it as you brush your teeth. Kind of a routine thing.

This is the problem of getting involved with energy work: people just push it and seek for sensations, when that moment happens you already stuffed up your practice.

I strongly disagree. Not only that, but I will say that anyone who subdues one's own powers of critical thinking in favor of receiving input from a supposedly enlightened teacher is doomed to fail. So in a sense, you must practice alone if you want to succeed. Having some like-minded friends is a good thing though, if it works out that way for you.

agreed !

Quite right. What is the Tao but about changes, and adapting? There is a time for teaching, and a time for solitude. The idea of a long-term, intimate teacher-student relationship seems to be based more on kung fu movies than reality. In the past, monks often wandered from teacher to teacher to prevent attachment. In china, there is the hermitage tradition where people spend time in the mountains alone, sometimes with a teacher, sometimes without. In the Buddha's day, monks would gather for retreats during the monsoon season and often disperse after.

Sign in to follow this