Sign in to follow this  
markern

Brainwave entrainment for migraines

A good friend is suffering from migraines so bad that she is unable to work or study. This has been the case now for several years. She wants to do yoga, qigong, meditation etc. to combat it but she has so many and so rough migraines that she can seldom manage to practice more then once a week plus maybe a little bit here and there. What I think is her best move forward is to use brainwave entrainment/binural beats. It is tough for her to sit down and actively meditate but she could probably manage to lie down and just listen to a tape almost everyday. It should also give her faster results then regular meditation in the begining and there are also particular soundtracks that are supposed to help with migraines. Does anyone have input on this situation? Have you had experience using brainwave entrainment for migraines/headache or for other things. Are some companies products better than others. What about project meditation that claimes to have a more powerful product than holosync?

Supposing that she gets a bit better with the entrainment what would be the best way to move forward? She has learned a powerfull anti migraine qigong from a famous expert on medical qigong. She hates the sequence but wants to do it at some point. She has also learned Iyengar yoga and some of the restorative Iyengar yoga seems superb for her. Her body is very unhealthy after years without exercise and tremendous amounts of meditation so getting in shape seems very important. The qigong she knows is not meant for this just going directly for the migraines. She has now started drinking supergreens suplements and thos have a very detoxing effect in addition to helping her diet. She has also started cranio sacral therapy. Beyond this she can probably not afford any other tretments or healings untill after the cranio sacral therapy is finished in about 6 months.

I have considered suggesting that she learn Kunlun because it is so powerfull and quick. I would not have considered that if she was in a position to do a regular practice but since she is not I think it is better to have her do kunlun a few times a week than a not so strong qigong.

http://www.binaural-beats.com/binaural-bea...he_release.aspx

Any opinions on this stuff vs holosync and project meditation?

Edited by markern

A good friend is suffering from migraines so bad that she is unable to work or study. This has been the case now for several years. She wants to do yoga, qigong, meditation etc. to combat it but she has so many and so rough migraines that she can seldom manage to practice more then once a week plus maybe a little bit here and there. What I think is her best move forward is to use brainwave entrainment/binural beats. It is tough for her to sit down and actively meditate but she could probably manage to lie down and just listen to a tape almost everyday. It should also give her faster results then regular meditation in the begining and there are also particular soundtracks that are supposed to help with migraines. Does anyone have input on this situation? Have you had experience using brainwave entrainment for migraines/headache or for other things. Are some companies products better than others. What about project meditation that claimes to have a more powerful product than holosync?

Supposing that she gets a bit better with the entrainment what would be the best way to move forward? She has learned a powerfull anti migraine qigong from a famous expert on medical qigong. She hates the sequence but wants to do it at some point. She has also learned Iyengar yoga and some of the restorative Iyengar yoga seems superb for her. Her body is very unhealthy after years without exercise and tremendous amounts of meditation so getting in shape seems very important. The qigong she knows is not meant for this just going directly for the migraines. She has now started drinking supergreens suplements and thos have a very detoxing effect in addition to helping her diet. She has also started cranio sacral therapy. Beyond this she can probably not afford any other tretments or healings untill after the cranio sacral therapy is finished in about 6 months.

I have considered suggesting that she learn Kunlun because it is so powerfull and quick. I would not have considered that if she was in a position to do a regular practice but since she is not I think it is better to have her do kunlun a few times a week than a not so strong qigong.

http://www.binaural-beats.com/binaural-bea...he_release.aspx

Any opinions on this stuff vs holosync and project meditation?

With headaches you have to delve into the person's psyche and environment to see what's up. In my experience headaches are caused by worry. It's that's simple. Big worry gives big headaches.

Want to test my theory? How about moving this person somewhere where she is completely taken care of, for life. No work and no obligations. Tell her everything is fine. Her family is taken care of. Whatever else is worrying, remove it. And see if the migraines still continue. It's a somewhat expensive test, but my bet is "no", meaning they do not continue.

This is just using obvious environmental manipulation. But using an inner approach is also good and possible, but harder. Because if you take the inner way, you are saying that you are at least partly, if not completely responsible for your own headaches and that you're causing your own headaches. Many people with illnesses get very very angry when they hear this. They believe that you're slighting them or that you're attacking them or that you're not taking their illness seriously. So that's the big obstacle to the inner healing. Inner healing absolutely cannot work without responsibility and responsibility means "I have caused my own problem at least partially."

But the problem is simple. It's worry/stress.

The reason I am saying this though, is that if the root cause of stress is not addressed and you give her some treatment, her problem will not go away in a complete and decisive manner. At best you will be required to perform life-long treatments (as long as stress source is life-long).

Also, another suggestion is hypnosis. Hypnosis might be more powerful as a cure than any kind of beats. Of course the beats are easy to try, so why not try them, right? But if that doesn't work, and if she doesn't want to investigate her own psyche, I suggest a qualified hypnotherapist.

I don't believe adequate studies have been done on this technology. I began using it when I was finishing my graduate studies and it seemed to help me concentrate. I also incorporated it into my nei kung and sitting meditation, and found it extremely effective in dealing with ambient urban noise pollution (I live 0.5 miles from a fire station in LA).

I would guess that for pain resolution, either short or long term, it would be the equivalent of taking aspirin when your doctor has already given you vicodin.

There is always the green solution. Marijuana is not without side effects, and it's certainly not part of any serious Taoist path, but it's pretty damn effective for migraines, according to some, and it's cheap.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june302...nes_6-30-08.php

Best of luck to you both.

Edited by Blasto

There are herbs that are helpful in reducing the frequency and intensity of migraines. Please look into the possibility of using feverfew and cayenne. I do not know enough to say anything about drug interactions and any other potential problems, or even to suggest dosage, but I have read that many people with migraines find these helpful. There were other herbs as well if these don't work out, but I read they were best.

Craniosacral therapy also has been shown to be helpful in cases of migraine, if you can find a practitioner.

As for the Kunlun, I would suggest getting the migraines under control first.

I wanted to clarify. I think using the word "worry" is too vague. What is closely related to headaches is conflicts and contradictions especially when connected with intent. So if you want to do one thing and another thing that's directly contradictory to the first, at the same time, that causes a headache.

Mentally going over deep contradictions with the desire to resolve them but being unable to do so can also cause headaches.

So it's not just worry.

As for the Kunlun, I would suggest getting the migraines under control first.

I agree with this. Kunlun increases gamma brainwaves, pain relief is accomplished by increasing delta and sub delta frequencies.

I have helped at least one person with their migraines using BWE. She has gone from getting headaches almost daily to rarely getting them at all. Delta frequencies from 1.5 to .5 has been proven to calm the limbic system of the brain which has helped those who suffer from migraines, fibromyalgia and other forms of chronic pain.

I would suggest downloading the free trial version of NP2 at Transparent Corp and have her use the delta or pain relief sessions and see if it helps. The trial period is 2 weeks. She should see some improvement by then, although it may take longer to see long time relief.

Massaging the head and temples with the palms of her hand and stimulating acupressure points may help too.

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

Sign in to follow this