ahumbleimmortal

Taoist Immortals

Hi everyone,

Several years ago I had written a book about balancing Taoism's three treasures to obtain and extend youth and longevity. The book is entitled the "Humble Beginning of an Immortal", which did very well upon it's original release and still being bought online today at www.lulu.com/normthan.

So far I am able to accomplish this goal, everyone can simply visit my webpage at www.lulu.com/normthan and see for yourself.

But my question is this... Do Taoist Immortals Exist?

We have read many Taoist stories of Taoist Immortals. Taoist Immortals should not be be considered fairy tales be actual events that had happened. You see, ancient Chinese people view anyone who was able to achieve a very long life as being Immortal. This is because they view anyone who could do this as extraordinary.

Back in 1933, Times magazine reports of an old Taoist practitioner who was photographed, that lived to be 250 years old. He was considered the last Taoist Immortal! The original breathing practice of Qi Gong was started by Taoist priests who wanted to remain youthful, healthy and live a long life. So my second question is... Have we (today's society) become so self-centred, materialistic, greedy and so single-minded that we don't believe in Taoist Immortals anymore?

Do we all remember GOD's original gift to mankind?

Yes, it was immortality!

Even though GOD took that away, HE did give us the Tree of Knowledge to retrieve it (Immortality) back!

Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Yes, Taoist immortals exist. There are different levels of immortality. Immortals on Earth. Heavenly Immortals and Immortals that go beyond all and return to Tao. All levels are real and attainable.

Maybe some people do not believe that but then why practice Taoist Alchemy for Immortality? Only those with common affinity with Tao and have Virtue will attain immortality.

Hi everyone,

Several years ago I had written a book about balancing Taoism's three treasures to obtain and extend youth and longevity. The book is entitled the "Humble Beginning of an Immortal", which did very well upon it's original release and still being bought online today at www.lulu.com/normthan.

So far I am able to accomplish this goal, everyone can simply visit my webpage at www.lulu.com/normthan and see for yourself.

We have read many Taoist stories of Taoist Immortals. Taoist Immortals should not be be considered fairy tales be actual events that had happened. You see, ancient Chinese people view anyone who was able to achieve a very long life as being Immortal. This is because they view anyone who could do this as extraordinary.

Back in 1933, Times magazine reports of an old Taoist practitioner who was photographed, that lived to be 250 years old. He was considered the last Taoist Immortal! The original breathing practice of Qi Gong was started by Taoist priests who wanted to remain youthful, healthy and live a long life. So my second question is... Have we (today's society) become so self-centred, materialistic, greedy and so single-minded that we don't believe in Taoist Immortals anymore?

Yes, it was immortality!

Even though GOD took that away, HE did give us the Tree of Knowledge to retrieve it (Immortality) back!

Thanks everyone!

"The process of spiritual attainment proceeds through six phases or levels, beginning with personality refinement and conscious refinement and culminating in becoming Tao.

Step One: Chi refinement and Natural Meditation as the cultivation of chi.

Step Two: Teh Tao: Receiving or discovering the path and learning the Tao.

Step Three: Wu Tao: Enlightened by Tao.

Step Four: Ming Tao: Lucidified with Tao.

Step Five: Teh Tao: Gaining Tao, and Tao also gains you. You live beyond your personal cares.

Step Six: Chen Tao: Attaining Tao. Your physical presence gradually merges with the invisible reality of Tao, but you are still able to respond, if you choose, and appear in form. You have achieved spiritual immortality, not physical immortality in the ordinary sense of a life that needs to eat, sleep, and pay taxes."

P65, Ni, Hua Ching, "Enrich Your Life With Virtue", Seven Star Communications, CA 1999

• Like 3

According to Mak Tin Si, to become a Celestial Deity it helps to become an immortal first as it takes lots of practice but sometimes the attainment is just granted outright to people of normal lifespans like the Jade Emperor does for Lord Guan and Zhang Fei in the Three Kingdoms.

"The process of spiritual attainment proceeds through six phases or levels, beginning with personality refinement and conscious refinement and culminating in becoming Tao.

Step One: Chi refinement and Natural Meditation as the cultivation of chi.

Step Two: Teh Tao: Receiving or discovering the path and learning the Tao.

Step Three: Wu Tao: Enlightened by Tao.

Step Four: Ming Tao: Lucidified with Tao.

Step Five: Teh Tao: Gaining Tao, and Tao also gains you. You live beyond your personal cares.

Step Six: Chen Tao: Attaining Tao. Your physical presence gradually merges with the invisible reality of Tao, but you are still able to respond, if you choose, and appear in form. You have achieved spiritual immortality, not physical immortality in the ordinary sense of a life that needs to eat, sleep, and pay taxes."

P65, Ni, Hua Ching, "Enrich Your Life With Virtue", Seven Star Communications, CA 1999

I will agree with this without asking you to define spiritual immortality. (And please don't because I then might have to change my mind. Hehehe.)

Peace & Love!

as far as reincarnation goes, we're all immortal. i know you guys may not agree with it, but i believe that we're all spirits in human bodies. it's kind of like we're sentences having a conversation with the rest of everything, and once we die, our opinion goes unsaid until we're reborn. and then, whether in the same form or another, our idea comes up again.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Welcome! :)

Just curious - who were some of your teachers/lineages and what alchemical schools do you base your techniques on?

For instance, how are your methods similar or different to:

DaMo Qigong & Taoist Internal Alchemy

Taoist Yoga by Charles Luk

Mantak Chia/Michael Winn's Healing Tao

And are any of your masters/teachers really old now...but also still relatively youthful in appearance?

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Yes, it was immortality!

Thanks everyone!

I've read your book[very informative] and enjoyed it! I have one question for you: Even though on the cosmetic level you look young ...how far does the effect extend? For example are your performance measurables similar to when you were 28? You mentioned high intensity cardio, is it more demanding for you?How about your zest for life?Just the same? or has experience seasoned you so much that a lot of your enthusiasm has diminished?

Edited by enouch

Hi everyone,

Yes, it was immortality!

Thanks everyone!

Dear sir,

welcome!

I understand you have been invited to present your book here, and you have accepted. Thank you very much. Really. This community is quite composite of different people, coming from different experiences, and having legacies in different lineages. So you will need to take things from the beginning to make sure you are well understood.

Do you think you could tell us something more about yourself, about the school and lineage where the teachings you are sharing are coming from, and in general what kind of practice are you teaching and advocating.

For example, what practices should a student do? how many hours a day should a person practice to obtain some good results? How does the practice changes with time? And so on. You don't need to enter into the details to the point that is would be useless for a student to buy the book, but at least enough that we can evaluate how well would those practice integrate with our life.

I think we are all very very interested in what you have to say.

Many thanks again for having accepted to come here,

Pietro

• Like 1

name='ahumbleimmortal' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:49 AM' post='151953']

Hi everyone,

Yes, it was immortality!

Thanks everyone!

The Physics of Immortality

http://www.math.tulane.edu/~tipler/physicsofimmortality.htm

You guys are going to end up eating cinnebar and chasing it with mercury.

Greetings..

We exist as the physical experience of an eternal existence.. the question is not one of 'Immortality', that's a given, rather the quality of the present experience and its effect on Immortality...

Be well..

• Like 1

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for all your replies!

It just goes to show that we can agree to disagree, and still grow and learn from others with different beliefs and understanding of Taoism (and everything else that falls under it)

Instead of answering everyone individually, I thought it be helpful just give general answers at the beginning and once we all get comfortable, we can get into the nitty-gritty details.

My teachers/styles

First of all, my teachers were students of students of Li,Ching-Yuen or Li,Ching-Yun whom is known as the last remaining Taoist Immortal, who lived to be 250 years of age. (I know, I know... we can debate this till the COWS come home but lets leave that for another time).

My teachers were pretty old and aged normally like everyone else. Even though they did not achieve the same type of longevity as Li,Ching-Yuen, they were wise and knowledgeable beyond their years. I have promised not to mention their names or styles. I apologize for being so secretive but it was their wish and I respect it.

But one thing I can tell you is that their style of teaching and techniques were no other I have seen or heard of. Their teaching truly followed the Way of Tao! Remember, the first line of the The Book of Lao Tzu...

"A Tao that can be named is not the True Tao!"

One of my teachers said "Show me a master of Tao, and I'll show a master of the wind". There is no real master, or someone who knows the perfect form and way of the Tao. We are all mere dots in this vast map of the universe, our understanding is limited, to try and understand the limitless is a waste of time. My teachers learned what they could from their teachers and included what they understood, or their own personal touch and created their own style. Taoist practitioners have been doing this for centuries! In the end, one style is not better than any other but it best to have an open-minded, humble and informative teacher to guide you to create your own style that suits YOU! Li,Ching-Yuen has done this with his teacher, his students did that with him and I am doing that with my teachers.

My teachings

For anyone who has ever read my book or has been one of my students, they know as an ordinary guy, and this is how they should view. I hate to disappoint those who think I have some type of special power.... I don't!

My practice tries to follow the Tao of Nature while living within a modern society. I try to incorporate my practice for my students to suit today's world so that they can easily adapt to their busy lifestyles.

Of course, the more you perform my techniques/teachings the better results one will achieve. But I will strongly encourage everyone to only spend 1/2 hour in the morning and 1/2 hour at night. In this way you may go about your daily lives and still get the benefits of my techniques.

We all have different goals in our lives but the overall purpose of my teachings is that we all balanced (mind, body and spirit) while we are trying to reach our goals.

My future

It's going to be 2010 very soon and everyone is a year older. I, myself will be 50 and still everyone are amazed of how youthful I keep looking. Is it strange to see my friends getting older while I'm not. To be honest, at first it freaked my out. But over time I got used to it. we all can be healthy, active and youthful looking if we choose to... I sincerely believe we are aging way too fast and that everyone should be living longer than they do. My hopes is that my teaching can open the possibility for everyone to live as long as Li,Ching-Yuen.

Peace to all, thanks for your time!

Talk to everyone soon :D

• Like 1

Welcome! :)

Just curious - who were some of your teachers/lineages and what alchemical schools do you base your techniques on?

For instance, how are your methods similar or different to:

Taoist Yoga by Charles Luk

Mantak Chia/Michael Winn's Healing Tao

And are any of your masters/teachers really old now...but also still relatively youthful in appearance?

Wow now that you mention it the Grandmaster of Tetada Kalimasada (another energy cultivation system) , Pak Eddy Surohadi, whom I just met, really matches your words to the dot.

You can forgive me for being a bit enamored with the man but I have never seen a man who looks quite like him. He is approaching 60 years old from what they tell me. He has gray hair but he literally has the youngest skin I've ever seen on a fully grown man. He looks younger than a 20 year old and has the proverbial "saintly" almost feminine looking hands.

I believe you've picked a good criterion too.. If they are such masters as people claim, why shouldn't it show on them? Let themselves be a testimony to their own power and practice, and let others judge for themselves.

Other than that I've never met another quote and quote master in energy cultivation with that kind of appearance you mention.

• Like 1

Wow now that you mention it the Grandmaster of Tetada Kalimasada (another energy cultivation system) , Pak Eddy Surohadi, whom I just met, really matches your words to the dot.

You can forgive me for being a bit enamored with the man but I have never seen a man who looks quite like him. He is approaching 60 years old from what they tell me. He has gray hair but he literally has the youngest skin I've ever seen on a fully grown man. He looks younger than a 20 year old and has the proverbial "saintly" almost feminine looking hands.

TK2000.gif

(Grandmaster Pak Eddy Surohadi in black jacket.)

Yea, qigong appears to be a true fountain of youth.

Here's another qigong "master" who is nearly 47 in this

, yet also looks much younger:

tL3Vc35F42k

humble,

Do you think you could provide the community with more photos of yourself verification of age etc, if you are truly 45 and look like that now that is truly amazing.

Yes, Taoist immortals exist. There are different levels of immortality. Immortals on Earth. Heavenly Immortals and Immortals that go beyond all and return to Tao. All levels are real and attainable.

Maybe some people do not believe that but then why practice Taoist Alchemy for Immortality? Only those with common affinity with Tao and have Virtue will attain immortality.

So is a Taoist immortal and becoming a Buddha essentially the same thing? Especially one of those immortals who return to the Tao?

........return to Tao...

Perhaps, those who practice Alchemy may be just for health and longevity rather than immortality.

What is "return to Tao" mean.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Perhaps, those who practice Alchemy may be just for health and longevity rather than immortality.

What is "return to Tao" mean.....???

Well Brodi on his site says to obtain the Tao is akin to reaching enlightenment.

"Enlightenment" is a too ambiguous term. It should have never applied to Taoism.

But don't you suppose the Sage is an enlightened one? He has the treasure of unconditional love (loving his brother as himself); he has the treasure of 'never too much', which is developing the understanding that happiness is learning to be happy with what we have and not wasting the rest of our lives pursuing other 'things'; and he has the treasure of 'never be the first', which goes directly to one's ego. To diminish the ego to the point where we're not pushing ahead and trying to win the race.

I would think an enlightened one would possess all the above characteristics. The enlightened one Knows that he is One with all. Would this not be the same as an immortal? (I'm not talking about 'immortal' so much as age here, or one's physical appearance), but the understanding that we contain form only when Mind is animating Matter, whether this is in the form of a human or in the form of an animal or plant.

The consciousness remains when the matter dies; perhaps consciousness returns to collective consciousness or perhaps it immediately inhabits another form. But I think the enlightened one, the immortal, is in the state of realization that he is not his body at all; rather, he is the idea that inhabits it and which continues its upward spiral to full self awareness. Perhaps that is what life is about. For everybody to achieve full self-awareness of who they really Are. All collectively.

As for idea inhabiting matter, I like the metaphor of a surfer sitting on his board just beyond where the waves break. Say he's looking up the coastline with a picture frame; he can see the waves rolling from right to left in the frame. It appears, at first glance, that the water is actually moving toward the shore. However, the individual water molecules remain out where he is, although the wave has gone by and crashed to the shore. The wave doesn't pick up the molecules and move them; the current (or idea) merely disturbs the ocean and makes it appear that the water is moving. But the molecules are pretty much staying right where they were before the wave went through.

Such is life. While the current is in us, we are here. We are the current. Our body is merely the water molecules. When the body is no longer here, We (the current) will have moved on to something else.

Edited by manitou

But don't you suppose the Sage is an enlightened one? He has the treasure of unconditional love (loving his brother as himself); he has the treasure of 'never too much', which is developing the understanding that happiness is learning to be happy with what we have and not wasting the rest of our lives pursuing other 'things'; and he has the treasure of 'never be the first', which goes directly to one's ego. To diminish the ego to the point where we're not pushing ahead and trying to win the race. (I'm using Yutang's translation of the 3 treasures)

I would think an enlightened one would possess all the above characteristics. The enlightened one Knows that he is One with all. Would this not be the same as an immortal? (I'm not talking about 'immortal' so much as age here, or one's physical appearance), but the understanding that we contain form only when Mind is animating Matter, whether this is in the form of a human or in the form of an animal or plant.

The consciousness remains when the matter dies; perhaps consciousness returns to collective consciousness or perhaps it immediately inhabits another form. But I think the enlightened one, the immortal, is in the state of realization that he is not his body at all; rather, he is the idea that inhabits it and which continues its upward spiral to full self awareness. Perhaps that is what life is about. For everybody to achieve full self-awareness of who they really Are. All collectively.

As for idea inhabiting matter, I like the metaphor of a surfer sitting on his board just beyond where the waves break. Say he's looking up the coastline with a picture frame; he can see the waves rolling from right to left in the frame. It appears, at first glance, that the water is actually moving toward the shore. However, the individual water molecules remain out where he is, although the wave has gone by and crashed to the shore. The wave doesn't pick up the molecules and move them; the current (or idea) merely disturbs the ocean and makes it appear that the water is moving. But the molecules are pretty much staying right where they were before the wave went through.

Such is life. While the current is in us, we are here. We are the current. Our body is merely the water molecules. When the body is no longer here, We (the current) will have moved on to something else. Is it not possible to be an Immortal if one goes through life with this awareness?

Edited by manitou

"But don't you suppose the Sage is an enlightened one?"

Everybody made it sound so easy to attain a state of enlightenment by doing some kind of Taoist practice. What I'm trying to say was not anybody can attain to such a state by just performing meditation.