Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

It's strange...but the only spiritual practice I've stuck

Over the years, I've explored Vipassana, Zen, Advaita Vedanta, shamanism, you name it, but the only spiritual practice I've learned to stick with is Tai Chi. I started studying under a certified Tai Chi teacher in August, and now it is October, and I'm still studying under her. Until now, I was becoming convinced of my "spiritual materialism" and fickleness. It is refreshing to discover that there is at least something I can stick with! She teaches the official short Chinese combined form of Tai Chi, which involves 21 moves, and I'm only up to "single whip" which is maybe move 6 or 7.

I think sometimes you just need the right teacher in the right environment. I used to study the Yang long form under a kung fu teacher, but the class sizes were too large and included teenagers. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent teacher, but it wasn't right for me.

During this experience, I've learned the true meaning of discipline: you practice even when you don't feel like it, because in your heart you know it will benefit you. I take the Tai Chi class every Thursday, and there have been many Thursdays where I just wanted to stay home and veg out, but I pushed myself to attend every class.

But I have a question: is Tai Chi a spiritual path by itself? Does a person need to complement it with anything?

Over the years, I've explored Vipassana, Zen, Advaita Vedanta, shamanism, you name it, but the only spiritual practice I've learned to stick with is Tai Chi. I started studying under a certified Tai Chi teacher in August, and now it is October, and I'm still studying under her. Until now, I was becoming convinced of my "spiritual materialism" and fickleness. It is refreshing to discover that there is at least something I can stick with! She teaches the official short Chinese combined form of Tai Chi, which involves 21 moves, and I'm only up to "single whip" which is maybe move 6 or 7.

I think sometimes you just need the right teacher in the right environment. I used to study the Yang long form under a kung fu teacher, but the class sizes were too large and included teenagers. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent teacher, but it wasn't right for me.

During this experience, I've learned the true meaning of discipline: you practice even when you don't feel like it, because in your heart you know it will benefit you. I take the Tai Chi class every Thursday, and there have been many Thursdays where I just wanted to stay home and veg out, but I pushed myself to attend every class.

But I have a question: is Tai Chi a spiritual path by itself? Does a person need to complement it with anything?

Tai Chi is a meditative system. It can be used to delve into the deep recesses of your mind, body and spirit and eventually actualize realization of Tao. Don't think too much about it...the Path will reveal itself...just keep practicing seriously and with intelligence.

Tai Chi is a meditative system. It can be used to delve into the deep recesses of your mind, body and spirit and eventually actualize realization of Tao. Don't think too much about it...the Path will reveal itself...just keep practicing seriously and with intelligence.

Thank you. I will take your advice to heart.

Yes tai chi is great - congrats on making a commitment. Stillness in movement, physical exercise and meditation, and a deep theory as well. When the muscle memory kicks in and you can just flow you begin your inner work. If your mind is racing and you are thinking about problems or daily events while doing tai chi then no spiritual benefit. If you have relaxed muscles, deepened breath, and quieted mind then you have some spiritual benefit. If you get into the underlying doctrine of tai chi then you get even more spiritual benefit. I always do a short form before bed to wind down, and when I get up to energize. How paradoxical!

Edited by Tao99

Until now, I was becoming convinced of my "spiritual materialism" and fickleness.

I don't see anything wrong with "spiritual materialism" B)

From the very first try it should bring better virtue, happiness, and better & more efficient function into your life :)

Whenever i feel really bad and not in the mood to go to the taiji class i think about how i will feel after the class. In the end i always go and i always feel great afterwords :D

You can and will get stuck with Tai Chi as well. How? The mind of course! Mind, mind, mind. :)

Well, you can get to the point of the Taoist "indestructible diamond body", and indeed for Buddhists, in their doctrine, this would be getting "stuck" and becoming subject to unconscious, consequences. However for the Taoist this is not getting "stuck" IAW the Taoist doctrine. But maybe you didn't mean specifically the emptiness doctrine.

I believe that reality is what it is, and so it makes no difference what you know about it. There will or will not be afterlife, etc., and this is unrelated to ontological beliefs. Thus the African jungle child who knows nothing of the Buddhist predicted empty nature of his reality, and worships a rock, still is a part of the Tao and its way just as anyone else. So I really see it as an immaterial difference between the two.

Edited by Tao99

Greetings..

20 years after my kung-fu mentor 'made' me take-up Taiji, it continues to reveal itself as a valid vehicle for understanding more and more of the mysteries of 'Life'.. Taiji, in my experiences, has only gotten better and better.. i deeply respect my mentor's wisdom for 'making' me experience this art..

Be well..

The first person had practiced Taijiquan for more than 40 years, he was 80 years old. I taught him the methods and things to watch out for when trying to open up the Channel SHO. He had a very good foundation. He could sit in full-lotus for three hours or more. The first day we went up to Taoyuan, he sat on his own in the morning and his abdomen vibrated strongly. He used the method taught by me to open his own SHO. Absolutely amazing for an 80-year-old man. I was amazed by his achievements and this showed me that Taijiquan is definitely one of dandao's foundational practice.
Taijiquan sounds like a good foundational practice, although I don't think it alone will propel you to the higher levels..

Taijiquan sounds like a good foundational practice, although I don't think it alone will propel you to the higher levels..

Taiji is inert, like an automobile.. 'You' are its driver.. where do you 'intend' to go? Taiji is an exceptional vehicle!

Be well..

Sign in to follow this