Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

SOme phrases I want your opinion on?

So I was wondering what are your opinions on these phrases?

There are no secrets.

You dont need a teacher.

Thanks

There are no secrets.

You dont need a teacher.

Thanks

1. The longer I observe the universe the more I feel it isn't into anything BUT secrets,

and

2. a quote from someone who was famous long ago:

"If a man no longer has any conception of excellence above his own, his way is done, he is dead."

I have to agree with Taomeow; I've found that the more I try to understand reality, the less I know. It's like holding on to a wet fish: if you squeeze it too hard, it will slip away.

And to answer your second question, yes, there are teachers out there, and most of them are just there to take your money. But the best ones will point you to the best teacher--yourself. A guru can only take you as far along the spiritual path as he or she has gone. Just don't be an idiot and pay a thousand dollars for a mantra, or a hundred for some seminar.

There are no secrets.

You dont need a teacher.

Thanks

These days, I find it's always good to consider the source.

For people who say that, what level of attainment are they at?

For those who believe otherwise, what level of attainment are they at?

And what do people of high attainment believe?

Anyhow, I will agree with the phrase that, "The more I learn, the less I realize I know."

I recently find myself yearning for the simple innocence of childhood again, when I knew nothing yet life seemed to roll along just fine...

Well, I think that both statements are very Taoist and very true.

There are no secrets. Everything is either observable or realizable. All we need do is learn how to observe properly and how to open ourself up for realization. (Not necessarily an easy task though.)

You don't need a teacher. A teacher can only teach what he/she knows. They cannot teach you what they do not know. Perhaps they are very limited in their understanding?

You don't need to travel the world to understand life - all you need do is stand by your window and you will see life pass by. What applies to what you see will apply to all life in general.

Peace & Love!

Greetings..

While i could add to posts, it would only be redundant to Marblehead's insightful understandings..

Be well..

If someone has the capacity and percepton to observe, study and ask the right questions then perhaps there are no secrets. But then again, who has this capacity? There might be things that we should be aware of but aren't - that's where the teacher comes in.

If someone has the capacity and percepton to observe, study and ask the right questions then perhaps there are no secrets. But then again, who has this capacity? There might be things that we should be aware of but aren't - that's where the teacher comes in.

Good point Rex. I didn't mean to downplay the importance of teachers. Some of us first need to learn how to learn before we can learn what we do not and cannot understand and this can be an important role for a teacher to take.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

This is answered in the koan:

As the roof was leaking, a zen Master told two monks to bring something to catch the water. One brought a tub, the other a basket. The first was severely reprimanded, the second highly praised.

This is answered in the koan:

As the roof was leaking, a zen Master told two monks to bring something to catch the water. One brought a tub, the other a basket. The first was severely reprimanded, the second highly praised.

Hehehe. I'm sorry but I think that Zen Master needs to go back to school.

Peace & Love!

Right. No secrets. Those who want to learn and can learn (have the virtue) to learn the truth will learn it.

You do not need a teacher but you need a teacher. You need a teacher to guide you. But you need a good one. This is someone who has walked the path and can offer incite and teachings from experience. However, you need to give up the "need" for a teacher in order to be taught. Otherwise you manifest what this teacher is teaching you rather than actually learning something.

There are no secrets.

You dont need a teacher.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this