Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Modern Day Shamanism

It has been said that the true modern shamans are rock musicians. Especially, rock musicians from the 60's and early 70's. Why? Their medicine changed the world and stopped a war.

http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/jimi-hendrix-foxy-lady.html

ralis

Some rock musicians are not only shamans, they are venerated like gods!! :D

Not sure if all modern shamans are rock musicians though... I know of a few in Malaysia back in the 70s, and one or two of them did like Elvis Presley alright, but the rest were mostly *diggin* Chinese operatic music! :lol::lol:

Be good!

Some rock musicians are not only shamans, they are venerated like gods!! :D

Not sure if all modern shamans are rock musicians though... I know of a few in Malaysia back in the 70s, and one or two of them did like Elvis Presley alright, but the rest were mostly *diggin* Chinese operatic music! :lol::lol:

Be good!

I was generalizing a bit and was making a point about the 60's and 70's. It was a modern day renaissance and the world needed to change. It did and still does.

ralis

I was generalizing a bit and was making a point about the 60's and 70's. It was a modern day renaissance and the world needed to change. It did and still does.

ralis

Man you're heavy. Lighten up! :D

Ralis, I agree with your point to a large extent, but let's not forget that many of the most "shamanistic" performers of this period (Morrison, Joplin, Hendrix, Tim Buckley, etc) died of overdoses. This would not be the case with traditional shamans (shamen?). Also, following charismatic leaders can sometimes lead down very bad paths, if they lack certain other values.

Music was an important component of the 1960s-70s societal change, but not the only one: civil rights, feminism, ecology, satellite communications, etc. all emerged around this time.

They were sort of like shamans in the sense that they consumed hallucinogens to transform their consciousness. Jim Morrison was a prime example of this. But he really became a target of the cops and the authorities who saw him as a threat. In traditional cultures, shamans are accepted and supported by the community; but in America, Morrison was arrested no fewer than 10 times during his career.

The problem with the sixties, however, is that it provoked a backlash from conservatives that is still going on today. I think the sixties generation should have gone through a more gradual path rather than trying to upend everything overnight.

It has been said that the true modern shamans are rock musicians. Especially, rock musicians from the 60's and early 70's. Why? Their medicine changed the world and stopped a war.

http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/jimi-hendrix-foxy-lady.html

ralis

Promoting peace is a worthy cause, but being a shaman is not defined in political terms. To be a shaman means to be an intermediary between the human and the spirit worlds. If you're a rock musician who has fostered peace, maybe you deserve a Nobel Peace Prize, but you're not a shaman unless you can also enter the spirit world.

Just a minor little detail.

Some cat who used to be Hendrix's roadie came out recently and said that Hendrix's (now-deceased) manager admitted that he killed him.

For the record. There was a lengthy interview a few months ago in one of those guitar magazines.

:o

A similar story was announced recently about Brian Jones also. I think the case is being re-investigated after 40 years.

Some cat who used to be Hendrix's roadie came out recently and said that Hendrix's (now-deceased) manager admitted that he killed him.

For the record. There was a lengthy interview a few months ago in one of those guitar magazines.

:o

The snake is long ! 7 miles ! Its old ... and its skin is cold ..

Common baby take a chance with us and meet me in the back of the blue bus tonight commooon !

Ralis, I agree with your point to a large extent, but let's not forget that many of the most "shamanistic" performers of this period (Morrison, Joplin, Hendrix, Tim Buckley, etc) died of overdoses. This would not be the case with traditional shamans (shamen?). Also, following charismatic leaders can sometimes lead down very bad paths, if they lack certain other values.

Music was an important component of the 1960s-70s societal change, but not the only one: civil rights, feminism, ecology, satellite communications, etc. all emerged around this time.

I think without the music at the forefront, many changes may not of happened.

ralis

Sign in to follow this