Taiji Bum

Tai Chi Sword Lesson #1 by Me

Yep, I'm at it again making videos! I posted this in my personal section but I wanted to put it here for feedback. This first is just a short intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ0T9Me-kk

Love the irreverance. I don't use my tassle because it fell apart!

Here I am from a year and a half ago doing a very high stance version of a short form I learned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKyVhfDbLY4

No instructions, just felt like sharing.

Craig

Craig, thanks for sharing that video! I love seeing other bums do their thing. Hey, is your camera person holding a purring cat?

Darin, good start!

Do you see any advantages in using a sword in taiji for cultivation?

What I've come across so far is 'this is fun' notion. I wonder if there is anything else because I personally am indifferent to a sword as such.

Craig, thanks for sharing that video! I love seeing other bums do their thing. Hey, is your camera person holding a purring cat?

PUrring cat, that is funny.

Nope, it's my silly camera deciding it wants to keep refocusing. Whirring sound is the lens focusing in and out.

Craig

PS- I never liked the tassel either, but I like the idea of messing with your opponents vison by using the tassel.

Otherwise, it just looks better hanging on the wall with a tassel attached.

I posted this in my personal section but I wanted to put it here for feedback.

Tassels are used in a many forms. They help you keep your focus on waist movements and can have quite a powerful effect on one's practice. I wouldn't minimize something's importance just because I didn't understand its usefulness.

Here is a video that shows part of a sword form utilizing tassel. The Tamo sword form starts at about 2:17 or so.

That is 1 of 2 sword forms that is taught at the school I attend. I am sure that you are familiar with it as you have mentioned the Twin Cities in the past.

And please...it's pronounced "Tie-Gee".

The movement of the tassel actually illustrates the movement of the blade to which it is attached.

It your tassel is always in the way, that shows you do not have good control of your weapon, i.e. of both ends. Important? Maybe, maybe not.

What I've come across so far is 'this is fun' notion. I wonder if there is anything else because I personally am indifferent to a sword as such.

As I'm sure the Iaido folks can testify, working with a live blade will do wonders for your focus and concentration.

Not for your health though.

Tassels are there for several reasons.. Adds a sense of balance to the sword, helps to feel the flow of circles while practicing, and is there to be used to confuse the enemy.

I learned a double gim, long tasseled set many years ago and in that form the tassels are essential.

Dao have sashes, spears have red hair tassels, army swords have rings, etc, all of these are there to add an element for confusing the enemy.

How about some pro-tassle video responses?

How do you mean? Like the video I linked? Or one of us just videoing ourselves saying how great tassels are?

"Unless there is loving-kindness in our speech, it's going to come out wrong." ~Ayyan Khema

WOW.

Some times folks on this forum really amaze me with their oh-so-useful-positive&empowering-critiques.

The ways they Share Knowledge???

It's alway very obvious who it is that practices to LEARN

and who talks out their arse by the critiques they give.

actually?

I Thought it was a great video?

It got folks attention...imagine...Zombies are paying attention, lol?

It made a statement.

Weather or not folks agree with it.

Made (Most folks) smile/laugh which breaks the ice

and gets people to take a deep breath so they are actually present enough to listen.

Maybe learn?!?

Also got folks talking, debating, sharing knowledge and ideas!

Awesome!

Some cool constructive criticism might come out of it to help us All learn?

Or give us (those who actually do practice) things to experiment with

and further our own studies.

Sure there might be a few that like to talk shit,

and want to share what they have to offer...shit?

They seem to be everywhere...hopefully they will learn a thing or two too!

Lol? Imagine!

Looking forward to more videos by folks:) Darin and others!

Hopefully some who think that a tassel actually has a purpose

will be willing to expose (us to their views ;) )themselves with a video(of them.)!

One that explains and shows some reasons for it and how to use it!

Can't wait!

Share the love kids!!!

and the KNOWLEDGE!!!

...u can keep the shit though...

We all have plenty of our own...

Shonton Ga

How about some pro-tassle video responses?

Oooo!

Yeah!

;)

Sounds good!

How do you mean? Like the video I linked? Or one of us just videoing ourselves saying how great tassels are?

Ooo!

Yeah!!!

Lets see it!

:D

That is what we need, real people, so we can learn together!

Great idea!!!

shontonga,

That's the nature of a forum. Personally, I much prefer people to make statements without pulling punches so I can personally evaluate their validity.

If everyone just said "Oh Darin, that was wonderful" without providing feedback he may never get an understanding of what other people think. Some people like tassels, some don't, it's ok.

Personally, I no longer use weapons in my training but if I can find a video Darin, I'll post it for you.

Best.

I didnt even watch the video. Youtube is blocked.

Darinhamel is a loser and a fathead. He is not genuinely seeking enlightenment-- he is seeking escapism and something of a hobby. In so doing he disgraces taoism. and upsets me.

I remember the things you said about the 'secret of the golden flower'. You are such a liar and a fool. You disgrace me by so poorly understanding a book by which I stand.

Maybe you should first yearn to be a student, instead of a teacher.

So what if I want to hate. I hate. You associate yourself with the same things I do and disgrace it. and you are such a pussy while you're at it.

I really want to hurt you feelings, darinhamel. I really do.

Both! Thanks for posting that vid. If you have trained with the tassel, can you post an infovid of you explaining it?

Findley, while Daren may be to polite to notice you, I think you should apologize and refrain from personal attacks. If you want to hate, don't post. Simple.

On reflection this sort of stuff

I really want to hurt you feelings, darinhamel. I really do.

is not cool. Findley is on a 2 week vacation.

Darin, I like you humor and enthusiasm even if you are a tassel hater :lol: Makes me want to get a made in china sword. You seem very at home in front of the camera, it's like you are talking to a person. Cool stuff.

Edited by Mal

Both! Thanks for posting that vid. If you have trained with the tassel, can you post an infovid of you explaining it?

Great vid Darin and good form Craig!

I just got my new sword, with tassel. My previous swordpractice was sans tassel, and in addition with a really unbalanced sword, forcing me to be overly focus on how I angled the blade.

In defense of tassel, on highly underestimated side effect is its balancing effect. Paves way for an almost effortless handling, thus gives space for energy to take charge in such a powerful way. Its subtle tipping, and counter movement in pendulum opens many of the positions, and actually softens my stances.

And its slight feminie quality is so humbling, and reminds you how non-macho approaches leaves no room for ego-driven ideas about Crouching Tigers or Hidden Dragons.

h

Edited by hagar

Makes me want to get a made in china sword.

I saw a documentary a while back that featured the supposedly only existing man in China who still possesses the knowledge of the ancient Chinese sword-makers. (Don't recall his name.)

I think it would be a great honor if one could get their hands on one of his swords.

Peace & Love!

Nice videos, very cool stuff!

As far as tassels go, I am especially pro-tassel: like in this video:

Of course, it is just as often that I would prefer no tassel at all.

Ok, this has gone on quite far enough.

I am neither pro nor anti tassel!

Mine broke and fell apart, thus no tassel.

I am a beginner beginner beginner with only a little instruction over three weeks travelling in China and some refinements here and there from senior students.

Yeah, I think Darin may be anti tassel.

I believe his audience is begginners. Therefore starting out with basically handling the sword it might actually be a good idea to go without tassel, at first.

If you really want to accomplish in Taiji sword I think the tassel is essential, eventually. I am SOOO FARR from that place that I cant even talk about it.

Craig

Maybe you should first yearn to be a student, instead of a teacher.

It is a pertinent point though; we are all students.

Yep, I think a lot of hobbyist martial artist have a woo hoo attitude about weapons. I never trained weapons until I learned this form in 2008.

As far as cultivation goes one obvious aspect of sword practice is tapping into the Metal element.

Analysis of my Chinese astrological chart indicates a benefit from more metal energy. Thus I have been advised to bring more of this element into my practice, life.

Another aspect of weapons training is Qi projection. Apparently you should develop the ability to project Qi through the weapon to make it an actual extension of your body. I often think of it as a cosmic antennae bringing energy into me as well. Especially in the "holding the incense pose" which is where you sink down into the ground in cross legged position and hold the sword handle at chest level with the point straight up (see my video appros 1:07). Also this position can be used for meditation zhan zhaung style - difficult but not as painful as you might suppose.

Craig

I love weapons. I've got a 6' staff form, walking stick form and Sai form for kung fu. Much more fun than weights and projecting energy to the tip of the weapon is good to learn. I have also carry all of my weapons to practice on my motorbike which is an interesting look through the traffic.

Sifu teaches a fan form for tai chi and Sigung teaches a sword form. I would like to learn them one day.