Sign in to follow this  
buscon

Advices for evening meditation

Hi,

I practice qigong regularly every morning, following the teaches of the book "Qigong Empowerment", doing some medical, taoist and wushu qigong.

At the moment I find quite difficult to make some evening meditation, mainly because the taoist meditation teached in the book it's a lot about the "Fire method", that is sending energy up.

I've also tryed to do just some standing meditation with my hands and concentration on the dan tien, but still kind of too much...

I was thinking about putting more attention to the energy flowing down (from the head to the perineum) on the evening, and then circulate it again, but I would like to follow some already exhisting method instead of making up one of myself...

Do you have any idea ?

Should I read frantzis "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" and learn his "water method" ?

Edited by buscon

IMO emptiness meditation -just sitting there- is as valid and important in Taoism as in any meditative tradition. Unfortunately it gets less notice because of all the energy techniques. At night sitting quietly may be just the ticket. Westerners tend to underestimate the power of just sitting.

If you want a very Taoist evening meditation you may want to look at the the guided meditations here:

http://wudangtao.us/ourstore/index.php?mai...dex&cPath=2

For $25 the morning and evening meditations are 30 minutes each and are done by a respected Taoist master. I like them. The evening meditation is geared to bring you down and get you ready for bed.

Yours

Michael

ok, I'll try to sit down and still: I can do that but for me it's difficult to stop the thinking mind without movements.

I just have to try harder, thank you for the tip!

Love and emptyness :)

Practice walking meditation. It will move your energy around and will protect you from energy blockages. Move, move, move. Raising, moving, putting and so forth. You start with 3 steps and over time you end up with 6:

Four...Heel up + raising + moving + putting

Five...Heel up + raising + moving + lowering + putting

Six...Heel up + raising + moving + lowering + touching + putting

Greetings..

Guidance and structure are inconsistent with 'meditation'.. more likely, the reference should be QiGong, 'energy work'..

Be well..

thank you for the advices!

@durkhrod chogori: thanks for the video, I've also check http://www.sirimangalo.org and it's quite interesting.

Walking meditation is also included in the book Qigong Empowerment, but I've never done yet - right moment to start ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers and freedom

Practice walking meditation. It will move your energy around and will protect you from energy blockages. Move, move, move. Raising, moving, putting and so forth. You start with 3 steps and over time you end up with 6:

Four...Heel up + raising + moving + putting

Five...Heel up + raising + moving + lowering + putting

Six...Heel up + raising + moving + lowering + touching + putting

Good advice and good video. Always good to discover new stuff.

Walking and sitting meditation are perfect for the evening.

Anyway the problem where my feelings, but I didn't realize.

Cheers and good night

I like to do the six healing sounds, and/or the five animal frolics in the evening, followed by practicing the microcosmic orbit. You could at least do the healing sounds and/or frolics.

I am thinking about incorporating some tai ji in my evening practice soon too. If you have an opportunity to learn, that could be a good way to wind down too.

Later, once you are in bed, you can try laying on your back with your left ankle over your right ankle, and left hand under (or fingers intertwined with) the right. From there relax and just watch your breathing/qi flow attentively. That is something I learned recently from The Secret Teachings of the Tao Te Ching. It helps bring on a deep, refreshing sleep.

Greetings..

Try sitting or standing comfortably.. then, point the index fingers so you can feel the slightest tension along the palm-side of the finger.. then, notice (don't 'think') what happens to the mental 'chatter'..

Please, let me know what you 'notice'.. it's quite interesting, the experience seems very consistent among those that actually try this..

Be wel..

I second the Six Healing Sounds recommendation for the evening (sitting version), combined with a gentle Inner Smile. It is a very good way to de-stress and relax. Also, it is great for preparing the mind/emotions for the journey into the dream realm...

I like to do the six healing sounds, and/or the five animal frolics in the evening, followed by practicing the microcosmic orbit. You could at least do the healing sounds and/or frolics.

I am thinking about incorporating some tai ji in my evening practice soon too. If you have an opportunity to learn, that could be a good way to wind down too.

Later, once you are in bed, you can try laying on your back with your left ankle over your right ankle, and left hand under (or fingers intertwined with) the right. From there relax and just watch your breathing/qi flow attentively. That is something I learned recently from The Secret Teachings of the Tao Te Ching. It helps bring on a deep, refreshing sleep.

I cannot learn also tai ji (unfortunately); I'd like to follow some bagua classes but didn't find a good school in berlin yet.

I'd like to learn the five animal frolics, do you know some good (and maybe free) resources ?

I'm already doing the microcosmic orbit and some healing sounds.

I'll also try the bed practice, sounds good, thx.

Greetings..

Try sitting or standing comfortably.. then, point the index fingers so you can feel the slightest tension along the palm-side of the finger.. then, notice (don't 'think') what happens to the mental 'chatter'..

Please, let me know what you 'notice'.. it's quite interesting, the experience seems very consistent among those that actually try this..

Be wel..

even your exercise sounds interesting. just a question: which hand should I use to point the index finger ?

Greetings..

even your exercise sounds interesting. just a question: which hand should I use to point the index finger ?

Either will accomplish the result.. i use both, for balance.. Since i'm not getting much feedback, ill give a hint: it is one of several very easy methods of activating the 'Connective Tissue System' (CTS).. if you're interested, and you should be, google 'Connective Tissue Tensegrity'.. i read the first 200 hits, some confusing, some too deeply medical for me, but.. the general implication, and i researched much about this amazing and little known system, the general implication is a giant leap for those interested in the physical link to the spiritual journey.. understanding and integrating this understanding into my practices has opened vast new landscapes of potential, it has expanded the practical application of awareness exponentially..

Another hint: check-out as many images of Taiji Masters or notable practitioners when they are pushing-hands.. look at their index fingers.. at least 90% will be extended/pointed.. there's a practical and profound reason for this..

Be well..

Greetings..

Either will accomplish the result.. i use both, for balance.. Since i'm not getting much feedback, ill give a hint: it is one of several very easy methods of activating the 'Connective Tissue System' (CTS).. if you're interested, and you should be, google 'Connective Tissue Tensegrity'.. i read the first 200 hits, some confusing, some too deeply medical for me, but.. the general implication, and i researched much about this amazing and little known system, the general implication is a giant leap for those interested in the physical link to the spiritual journey.. understanding and integrating this understanding into my practices has opened vast new landscapes of potential, it has expanded the practical application of awareness exponentially..

Another hint: check-out as many images of Taiji Masters or notable practitioners when they are pushing-hands.. look at their index fingers.. at least 90% will be extended/pointed.. there's a practical and profound reason for this..

Be well..

Should I point one index finger to the other one ? sorry but I don't really understand even though looks quite simple...

Interesting stuff the connective tissue tensegrity.

thx

Greetings..

Should I point one index finger to the other one ? sorry but I don't really understand even though looks quite simple...

No, this technique goes back thousands of years.. the index finger was used to indicate many things prior to the development of language and cognitive thought processes.. our ancient ancestors didn't have words to describe threats, they experentially knew better than to make noise, so.. they pointed.. this told others to 'pay attention', it activated a heightened sense of 'body-mind' (CTS).. whatever imagery was dancing in the mind, stopped.. all awareness and focus would be necessary to understand the environment and dealing with the threat.. similarly, the 'pointing', done with different expression and body language would signal food, or potential mates, or.. well, you get the picture.. the pointing was a primal survival tool that activated the 'body-mind'.. it still does to a lesser degree.. the first thing it does it clear the mind, that's the 'point' of my suggestion.. if you notice, after pointing it takes a small effort to activate the 'mental chatter'..

Be well..

Edited by TzuJanLi

Greetings..

No, this technique goes back thousands of years.. the index finger was used to indicate many things prior to the development of language and cognitive thought processes.. our ancient ancestors didn't have words to describe threats, they experentially knew better than to make noise, so.. they pointed.. this told others to 'pay attention', it activated a heightened sense of 'body-mind' (CTS).. whatever imagery was dancing in the mind, stopped.. all awareness and focus would be necessary to understand the environment and dealing with the threat.. similarly, the 'pointing', done with different expression and body language would signal food, or potential mates, or.. well, you get the picture.. the pointing was a primal survival tool that activated the 'body-mind'.. it still does to a lesser degree.. the first thing it does it clear the mind, that's the 'point' of my suggestion.. if you notice, after pointing it takes a small effort to activate the 'mental chatter'..

Be well..

Wow thats super cool, I haven't thought about that. Seems to me there's a lot of implications this could have for various mudras. Is the technique simply raising or pointing the finger a little while the rest of the hand is relaxed? Any cool links for this?

Greetings..

Hi Ryan: Rather than me pointing you to 'my' links, i suggest that you google 'Connective Tissue Tensegrity'.. read a bunch of the hits (i read the first 200).. a pattern emerges that should reveal the amazing potential of re-discovering this physical system that links us to our spiritual existence.. a great read is Rick Barrett's "Through the Western Gate".. he also does some absolutely great workshops on the subject..

Yes, it so simple and can be done anywhere anytime.. it's nearly instantaneous, the mind clears, the chatter falls away, and Clarity emerges.. Try it, i've never seen it fail..

Be well..

Sign in to follow this