Meditation

Tai Chi

Qi Gong

About spirits

Hygiene

religion

rituals

diet

if not how did they come into his teachings?

Edited by fragrant herbs

Did Lao Tzu teach these:

Meditation - he planted the seeds

Tai Chi - he planted the seeds

Qi Gong - no

About spirits - he touched on the concept

Hygiene - no

religion - no

rituals - he touched on the concept

diet - no

All the concepts you mentioned were started by or developed by the religous and alchemic Taoists shortly after Chuang Tzu's death. (My understanding.)

Peace & Love!

Greetings..

It seems to me that Lao Tzu (or whomever) used natural 'relationships' to point to the 'process'.. it also seems to me, that we have a tendency to shape the wisdoms expressed by Lao Tzu ito our preferred categories, like:

Meditation

Tai Chi

Qi Gong

About spirits

Hygiene

religion

rituals

diet

Be well..

These are part of the internal alchemy of the Tao Te Ching. Not by name but by function and procedure.

Did Lao Tzu teach these:

Meditation

Tai Chi

Qi Gong

About spirits

Hygiene

religion

rituals

diet

Did Lao Tzu teach these:

Meditation

Tai Chi

Qi Gong

About spirits

Hygiene

religion

rituals

diet

I think that you have a fundamental misconception here about the nature of Taoism. Taoism does not equal "the teachings of Lao Tzu." Lao Tzu is not the Buddha or Jesus of Taoism. If he was a real, singular person (which is doubtful) he was still not the founder of some new religion.

Taoism is a movement that contains both religious and philosophical elements, of which the Tao Te Ching is one thread in a very complicated tapestry. Granted, it is an early, beautiful thread. But definitely not the earliest (Songs of Chu, Nei Yeh, and several others are older) and not even the most profound (I personally think that Chuang Tzu gets that title).

Perhaps you should think of this more like a single book of the bible (maybe Genesis) than like a single, unified holy text with a founder that we can easily point to.

If you want to know the essence of Lao Tzu's teachings, I will share with you a simple parable. Lao Tzu once went out on long walks with one of his disciples. One day, the sun was setting in the sky, and it displayed the most beaufitul colors of orange and red. His disciple suddently exclaimed "what a beautiful sunset." Lao Tzu refused to walk with the disciple any more. This is because the disciple was adamant about labeling reality, whereas Lao Tzu simply experienced it.

He taught Inner Alchemy using nature and being natural in movement in a state of emptiness plus lots more chi cultivation methods!

Hun Yuan Yi Qi Zhang comes from the teachings of Lao Tzu's 2 disciples, this is according to my systems oral tradition and the Poetry that goes with the system.

Some people say Lao Tzu wasnt a real person.....

Ape

Thank you.

what is Hun Yuan Yi Qi Zhang? is this qu gong? That is the only practice that I can actually see doing if this is what you are talking about. Seems easier than Tai Chi, which I have done in the past.

I tend to think that Marblehead and some others are correct since I have been through much of Lao Tzu's writtings to see what is taught. What he says that I understand, make sense, and it is not filled with talks of spirits, exercises, diet, etc.

Edited by fragrant herbs

If you want to know the essence of Lao Tzu's teachings, I will share with you a simple parable. Lao Tzu once went out on long walks with one of his disciples. One day, the sun was setting in the sky, and it displayed the most beaufitul colors of orange and red. His disciple suddently exclaimed "what a beautiful sunset." Lao Tzu refused to walk with the disciple any more. This is because the disciple was adamant about labeling reality, whereas Lao Tzu simply experienced it.

+1. Same as the mental level of the Buddha, which most failed to grasp. To understand experience it first.

Hi All,

When speaking of Lao Tzu, I think it is important to keep in mind what Zhuo Ming-Dao said above. Y'all know that I rarely speak of the other aspects of Taoism except for the Philosophical aspect. But the other aspects of Taoism are just as important for a majority of Taoists.

And I agree that Lao Tzu (or whoever it was) planted the seeds but it was Chuang Tzu who nurtured and helped to grow what Lao Tzu had planted. And then there were many, many more after him.

Peace & Love!

Well I have secret tranmissions of the Primordial Chaos One Qi Palm system which was created by 2 of Lao Tzu's top disciples according to our system gate keeper (jurn mun yun). The art is more intricate then Taiji forms and is based on universe, earth, mythical animals, different energy manifestations, sun moon and stars (north star etc).

For these 2 disciples to make up this system must of learnt something from Lao Tzu cause even the way its written is much like a Dao De Ching or to me the secret transmission is a bible of living and cultivating Qi, Tao Yin, Qi Kung, fighting, healing, longevity and lastly immortality.

The Order of the Circle and Square!

Spirit Ape

Sign in to follow this