karen

Kalaripayattu, anyone?

This was a kicker.. I don't watch TV. I prefer not to be subjected to "programming" :-). But after watching a DVD on the TV, I switched to the FitTV channel and saw one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen. It was a series called Deadly Arts, showing a Canadian woman named Josie Normandeau who travelled around the world to study martial arts from various cultures.

This particular episode showed her in India studying Kalaripayattu. Other episodes which I haven't seen yet include Capoeira of Brazil, Thai boxing (whatever the real name for that is), Karate, and a few others.

The Kalaripayattu episode was stunning. At one point, there was a practice where a girl who looked to be a teenager was blindfolded. Other people were positioned around the room without moving, one was lying on the floor with what looked to be a large vegetable or gourd on his abdomen. The blindfolded girl approached him and cut cleanly into the vegetable without touching a hair on the guy.

Then there was a lot of stuff that was very dance-like, aside from the ferocious stuff. I was so captivated by it that I looked to see if there is a video, and there is a DVD of the whole series but not in the U.S. and would come to $60 including shipping. So I thought I'd see about taping the episodes instead.

There will be a repeat of the episode on Dec 17.. if anyone gets the FitTV channel (for me it's channel 20 on basic cable, where I get channels 1-20).

If anyone is familiar with this form, I'd love to hear about it!

Karen

Update: The episode on Kalaripayattu is on Thursday 12/15 on FitTV at 9PM eastern, not 12/17. www.fittv.com for schedule.

Let me know if they do one on Filipino martial arts!! In fact, I'll even pay for a copy if someone will tape it for me. My teacher would LOVE it!

Ooh, it still looks so good though! If somebody buys it for the taobums library, and I will donate ALL of my Jackie Chan movies to the library. :) (Okay, I got those all for free, but still.)

:)

Ya know, one thing that I especially liked about the Kalaripayattu segment was seeing how these young girls are trained.. who woulda thought?!

k.