Sign in to follow this  
TTT

how could I avoid eye strain during meditation

No matter if I want it or not, almost every time I experience eye strain.

I have once read that concentration and eye focus were connected with each other.

I have worries about my eyes, because eye strain causes your eyes to worsen

and you can even aquire floaters (dirt in the eye) from this.

Does anybody has maybe some advice? Are there any other alternatives

besides sitting meditation?

Tnx

I have once read that concentration and eye focus were connected with each other.

Tnx

I take it you are not sitting with eyes half open. If you do, close them. That should solve it.

If your eyes are strained while sitting, this is actually a sign of something other than actual eye problems. Probably you are not really meditating, and you are not really relaxing into the situation. And from what I interpret your percieved problem to be, you may be anticipating something. Thus strain.

Meditation should give you nothing, really. And thus, you are being meditated.

If you meditate correctly, your eyes, along with most other bodily functions should feel nourished.

Again, this is only from my own experience. I may be wrong.

My advice is always to start with some physical qigong, or yoga before you sit down, to open the energetic pathways in the body. Then, when you sit, focus on enjoying and resting, or just feeling the effect of the physical work. Enjoy the effect, just like when you row a boat, and stop rowing, you may enjoy the effect.

Meditation is actually the opposite of effort, and very simple. Yet it is not easy.

Best approach to sitting is not knowing, just sit and enjoy. Like you enjoy a litte chocolate with your coffee after dinner...

h

I take it you are not sitting with eyes half open. If you do, close them. That should solve it.

You beat me to it. I was going to say that. :)

Peace & Love!

Tnx

When you sit, not in meditation, but just sit on a couch eating chips and drinking beer, do you have eye strain? If the answer is no, then I can tell you that you are meditating incorrectly. If the answer is yes, please go see a doctor, because there is something wrong with your physiology if that's the case.

I think the problem comes from your idea of "concentration". You probably believe it implies a kind of eye-squinting, brow-furrowing and vein-inflating strain.

Instead of concentration, maybe try relaxation instead. Try to be natural, as if you are not meditating at all. Don't put a mental burden on yourself. Keep meditation informal.

Tnx

I use the open eye style only when doing walking or standing in line meditation -although- I still find that I can often pass my destination ... :unsure::mellow:

... But then again - I live in China where many meditate riding the train, bus or just siting and waiting - almost all are closed eye. Some wear sunglasses.

When doing inner cultivation styles such as Kundalini - I've never seen anyone, even in pictures, using closed eye style.

Here is a style I prefer to use in the evening: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...11802&st=80

massage your eyes & muscles around eyes before & after meditation.

relax more when you meditate and relax your eyes. i think you may be trying to focus too much. this can cause strain. "Melt" the tension & the mind.

massage your eyes & muscles around eyes before & after meditation.

relax more when you meditate and relax your eyes. i think you may be trying to focus too much. this can cause strain. "Melt" the tension & the mind.

A popular 'massage' technique for the eyes is palming. You warm up the hands by rubbing the palms vigorously together then softly & firmly lay the palms on the eyes. No movement, just relax and let the heat soak in.

Glenn Morris liked this technique, I've seen it used by other chi gung teachers during close downs.

Michael

you've got some good replies.

you can also try this.

Instead of focusing your awareness in one spot, open your awareness up to include everything - diffuse awareness.

The difference is like the difference between looking intently at a spot on a wall, and relaxing and looking at nothing particular, using your peripheral vision.

Practice your peripheral vision and use that when you meditate, even with your eyes closed.

A popular 'massage' technique for the eyes is palming. You warm up the hands by rubbing the palms vigorously together then softly & firmly lay the palms on the eyes. No movement, just relax and let the heat soak in.

Glenn Morris liked this technique, I've seen it used by other chi gung teachers during close downs.

Michael

I love this technique. I use it from time to time to relax my eyes and it works very well.

Ok, everybody...

From Chinese 5 element theory, which organ is associated with the eyes?

That same organ is most generally associated with stress in the body.

Michael

We use this technique in medical qigong, Good!

you can also try this.

Instead of focusing your awareness in one spot, open your awareness up to include everything - diffuse awareness.

The difference is like the difference between looking intently at a spot on a wall, and relaxing and looking at nothing particular, using your peripheral vision.

Practice your peripheral vision and use that when you meditate, even with your eyes closed.

YES!

Tnx

As Hagar said it... also... if you are doing it half open and still completely focusing externally, you are not doing half open correctly. Half open means splitting the focus from completely within or without to both, intermingling...

So... to do that correctly, you are going to need transmission from a real master of that technique. SEriously.

you can also try this.

This is pretty good, with some masterful context would be very beneficial as well... as in transmission. But... other than that... very good here.

Sign in to follow this