Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Outlaws of the Marsh!

So I'm very much enjoying the 3 Kingdoms but my kids don't find it nearly as cool as Journey to the West... too adult for them.

So I cracked open Outlaws of the Marsh: it opens with a giant chemtrail mushroom cloud of demons and fallen angels blasting out of a Taoist prison!!!! :lol:

Is that fun or what???

Three thumbs up!!!!!!

-Yoda

Zenshiite,

Cool! I just read about the Chinese military officer who got framed so that his wife could go to the daughter of the prime minister...

Very strange morality vibe... I can't quite follow it... maybe it's just fictional license... but there's so much honor and morality and strict codes of conduct but wild swings where people just walk away from their morality. That officer was so cooperative with his imprisonment... didn't try to run away or anything and is a super guy but then out of nowhere he just becomes a bandit and kills and robs... very strange!

Very fun, though. I love learning about all these mindsets.

Tao Toe,

Yoda

Yeah, it's interesting. As the bandits targets are corrupt officials... but then they go on to raze entire towns. Furthermore, they are still loyal to the Emperor. Wierd.

Yeah, it's interesting. As the bandits targets are corrupt officials... but then they go on to raze entire towns. Furthermore, they are still loyal to the Emperor. Wierd.

I've heard that several dynasties rose and/or fell thanks to bandit groups like that.

The Han started as a bandit band exactly like that: a jailer lost a few prisoners and rather than face execution he freed his prisoners if they would follow him into the wilds...

Haha, I played this game called "Suikoden" which is the Japanese name for OotM back in 1996. Its an RPG for the original Playstation. It's VERY loosely based on the original story.

I think the only thing thats the same is the 108 stars of destiny. It's actually more like Star Wars meets Tolkien + Ninjas. You're the son of a great general of the Empire who becomes the leader of the Rebel Army, and you recruit 108 main characters (the Stars of Destiny). Amazing game, my fave of all time. I recommend it for any RPG fan (relatively short for an RPG ~20 hours, pretty old school, unlike those ridiculous MMORPGs today that dont even have an ending...)

Anyways, my love for the game makes me want to take a look at OotM...

Ryan,

We are neighbors... I'm in Columbia, SC!

Sounds fun! Do they have a current version?

Tao Toe,

Kyle

Howdy neighbor! Nice to meet a fellow southerner on here...

They have come out with some sequels, but after the second they started going downhill. The running theme is creating an army with the 108 stars of destiny.

The original Suikoden is on the Playstation Network if you happen to have a PS3. But like I said, it bears little resemblance to Outlaws of the Marsh.

I thought about reading OotM, but I don't think I'd have the patience! I find it difficult to read classical literature. Same goes for Journey to the West, which by the way, the Japanese also did a video game version called Saiyuki which was decent.

Peace

Sign in to follow this