Eternal_Student

For Neophytes: Qi Sickness

I want to share some things I have learned by observing this world of spiritual techniques for sale.

There are some individuals who end up NOT balanced by the practice of qi gong and meditation, and when this happens there are some obvious signs that point to stay the hell away!!!

1. Their physical body is not in shape. If they claim their fat is qi, watch out. They physical body must have the suppleness, strength and shape of someone who takes care of themselves. You can't neglect the shell as it is a mirror image of the spirit that resides within. Its like trying to run a concert level audio production with the wiring of a stereo bought from Walmart. It just doesn't work.

2. They do not have a normal support system in life. Example, they live in someone else's house or their parents basement. The inability to navigate through the material says they have one foot rooted in nothing.

Do they have a job that involves some uplifting of the general human population? If they are truly engaging in the Bodhisattva vow, they are helping people with some form of suffering....

3. They stick to a religious viewpoint. Meaning, all ways but their system is crap. They also engage in "my lineage is longer than your lineage" discussions. Have you ever played whisper down the lane? Things get screwed up between the second and third person, let alone 3000 years of oral tradition. If they can hear about all ways and it makes their quiet fervor in their own stronger, amen.

4. They cannot demonstrate anything. A true teacher should be able to demo at least something from the practice. This does not mean walking through walls or any of the hearsay that sounds like an episode of Heroes. I mean something tangible in either the physical, qi or shen level. But try the physical first, if you can push them over with a school yard shove, they probably don't have the secrets to the universe.

5. They think that the way to qi cultivation is by stealing energy or transferring energy from other humans.

No person has ever reached any sort of spiritual status by "borrowing" qi from other humans. I believe the Buddhist doctrines call these people hungry ghosts in the afterlife. This is a very dangerous practice and leads directly to the same diseases as the host. Have you seen a person sneeze? Humans are full of Xie Qi or pathogenic evils.

6. They don't dance. C'mon, you can't trust a spiritual figure who can't cut a rug!

7. They are loud, overly emotional, or generally out of touch. Serenity is one of the goals of serious meditation, not mania.

8. Their house/car/or living area is a mess. When you clean your environment, you are cleaning your heart.

9. They cannot utter a word of praise. These type of teachers are keeping you in your place. They will never allow you to grow as an individual because they want to keep you a groveling student forever. Better for their bank accounts!

10. All of these practices are utterly serious. (Hanging weights by your scrotum isn't a little funny?? Really?)

Now remember, these are my personal perceptions perceived by my vantage point. They are not TRUTH, but merely one part of the truth. Just a little "watch your back" by someone who wants you to succeed in your endeavors.

PLEASE! ADD YOUR OWN!

(I get constant questions as to what to look for in a good teacher. So let's help the newbies out)

:)

I would add that they understand how to make whatever approach they're using fit in the context their students are in.

It is a huge supermarket out there;-) Which is why I believe places like TTB s that allow people to give feedback on practices are very important

Not to forget each person's own responsibility in their choice of practice.

1. A person who is unable to conform to society. (Being able to and not doing so is different.)

2. Does not have his own methods here and there.. Usually most of what a teacher learns are of his own methods.. or things they add on, those are the more personal teachings.

3.Is unable to hold his temper.. Or isen't able of letting go of emotional need rather then reasoning and what is for the greater good. Basically if there still battling emotions and losing. Being angry isen't bad.. but when they themselves can't handle it its something to watch out for..

4.If theres nothing to show through external training.. Like said above. From very experienced teachers, often feats of endurance are shown here and there.

2. Does not have his own methods here and there.. Usually most of what a teacher learns are of his own methods.. or things they add on, those are the more personal teachings.

Exactly. They should be able to build upon the foundation, not be a parrot for someone else and their doctrines!

Yeah =D.

Sorta've like a guitarist and music.. Energy has its own system just as guitar has chords/keys..

But you have to experiment to actually get better.

most of them are true, but in some case , there is an other possible. those "possible " are very minimum. when you meet , do not fool by me, decide by yourself, look their eye.

1. Their physical body is not in shape. If they claim their fat is qi, watch out.

if you go to the Buddha temple, there is a big fat Buddha, he is "future Buddha, mi le fo" .

there are 500 Rohans in Buddha, one is blind , one is disable.

in current life, xiong changgui is a big fat guy, Xiong passed a few years ago.

master Xingyun from Taiwang is a fat guy, but if you want learn wushu, he is not a right person,

Dalai lama do not have strong sharp, I wish he could have me as indoor student.

2. They do not have a normal support system in life. Example, they live in someone else's house or their parents basement.

my master has at least 50,000,000 US$ in the bank, from year 1991 to 1992, he was live on the street, sleep in the park.

3. They stick to a religious viewpoint.

if a religion stay for more then 800 years, then it must have something to be able to stand for that long.

4. They cannot demonstrate anything. A true teacher should be able to demo at least something from the practice.

if you want learn from a Gongfu master, you are right. for Qigong hmmmm, maybe not, I would say 80% could not be demonstrate.

5. They think that the way to qi cultivation is by stealing energy or transferring energy from other humans.

to steal Qi is ture, but base on Karma , steal will result lung and nose health problem, the real master will told you how to defense from Qi thief. real master will give Qi and Gong to his student. Do not steal any thing include Qi.

6. They don't dance. C'mon, you can't trust a spiritual figure who can't cut a rug!

you are asking to much, man.

7. They are loud, overly emotional, or generally out of touch. Serenity is one of the goals of serious meditation, not mania.

most master should not loud, no anger , but as I know some top master do beat students, in history, beat student happen a lot. here, go to jail.....

8. Their house/car/or living area is a mess. When you clean your environment, you are cleaning your heart.

maybe they do not care, there are more important thing to do ,

10. (Hanging weights by your scrotum isn't a little funny?? Really?)

In Shaolin, they do have this, but only you are an after black belt fighter,it has two way, one is scrotum go inside of body, one is can hang wight, so it donot hurt to much if it was attected . in all gongfu form, they all have beat, catch or kick scrotum, otherwise what is the point.

now it getting popular, because someone think it will increase sex ability. I don't know

Edited by TianhuaQigong

1. They are attached to a particular point of view regarding physique.

The body is going to get sick, grow old, and eventually die.

2. They don't leave room for individuality.

Everyone is different.

3. They reject religious viewpoint because its "religious."

Some things have been around because they have truth in them.

4. They like to show-off their fancy achievements.

Or, they think its important to have some sort of material power.

5. They think qi cultivation is the only way to go.

There is more than one way to get to nowhere.

6. They think they can dance.

7. They are withdrawn, unemotional, or quiet.

A lot of people try to act how they think "enlightened" should be, instead of how they are.

8. They are obsessed with cleanliness and order.

Oh my God! Who touched my socks?

9. They give everyone a trophy.

What ever happened to suffering as part of the path?

10. They have lots of rules.

What's good for one system may not be good for another. A Zen master may outpour their emotions, while a Theravada monk might be very controlled. Inside, they may both be unattached.

this is cultural -- when your parents get old it's honorable to live with them and take care of them....

also to be a monk means to be "homeless" -- monasteries were only built later due to the rainy season.

2. They do not have a normal support system in life. Example, they live in someone else's house or their parents basement. The inability to navigate through the material says they have one foot rooted in nothing.

Do they have a job that involves some uplifting of the general human population? If they are truly engaging in the Bodhisattva vow, they are helping people with some form of suffering....

1. They are attached to a particular point of view regarding physique.

The body is going to get sick, grow old, and eventually die.

2. They don't leave room for individuality.

Everyone is different.

3. They reject religious viewpoint because its "religious."

Some things have been around because they have truth in them.

4. They like to show-off their fancy achievements.

Or, they think its important to have some sort of material power.

5. They think qi cultivation is the only way to go.

There is more than one way to get to nowhere.

6. They think they can dance.

7. They are withdrawn, unemotional, or quiet.

A lot of people try to act how they think "enlightened" should be, instead of how they are.

8. They are obsessed with cleanliness and order.

Oh my God! Who touched my socks?

9. They give everyone a trophy.

What ever happened to suffering as part of the path?

10. They have lots of rules.

What's good for one system may not be good for another. A Zen master may outpour their emotions, while a Theravada monk might be very controlled. Inside, they may both be unattached.

And a bow to you sir or miss...

(a chuckle as well)

1. Their physical body is not in shape. If they claim their fat is qi, watch out. They physical body must have the suppleness, strength and shape of someone who takes care of themselves. You can't neglect the shell as it is a mirror image of the spirit that resides within. Its like trying to run a concert level audio production with the wiring of a stereo bought from Walmart. It just doesn't work.

Heh, in China, if you're not fat people will be suspicious!

But really, modern body image is way messed up. In the past, having some plumpness was a sign of good health. Now we live in a world of cut bodies and skinny actors. Certainly obesity isn't healthy. But being all bones, muscles and angles isn't healthy either. Indeed, many accomplished martial artists end up getting plumper, after all, their doctrine is an economy of movement - more work with less energy. As the body gets more efficient, unless you decrease food intake, you'll put on fat. However, this fat is noticeably different from the Taiyang (big belly above the navel) or Taiyin (droopy belly below the navel) disharmony body types as it tends to be more evenly distributed throughout the body.

Still body type isn't a great deciding factor. Some people, in health, will be chubby. Others will be thinner. Look to the eyes and face. If the eyes glow and the face is colorful, then you have a healthy person. If the face is too red or too pale, ashen, bags under the eyes, etc this person isn't a role-model of good health.

I have learned Qigong for more than 20 years in China,

it is so difficult to find a real good Qigong master

at time you met a real master. it will become a legend in the book. like liping wang (or zhiping wang)

luck me, I have a real master .

if you want learn Qigong, learn Tianhua Qigong, and it has steps, after step 4 you will find out how good it is.

it is no necessary learn from me, or be my bank machine, now, it is very cheap as well, someone should teaching in US, google, "Tianhua" "Qilin" "kylin" "zhonggong" and your location. keep going after step 4 , then if you think, " I was cheated" I will refund you money.in China , more then 38000000 people has learned this form. for each person, 7 *3 hours , charged about 3US$ at that time, my master make a lot of money of it.

As I know, Liping wang (or zhiping wang) is a high level Qigong master, I mean he is a person with a lot Qi and gong, but I don't know how he teach.

Xin yan is good too, but he teach "Xing" gong a lot, should learn a form with "Xing Ming" Gong . he is in America.

Dalai lama is a high level person ( or Living Buddha) as my master, and way advanced to other masters. but as I know , he do not teach Qigong.

Edited by TianhuaQigong

Heh, in China, if you're not fat people will be suspicious!

But really, modern body image is way messed up. In the past, having some plumpness was a sign of good health. Now we live in a world of cut bodies and skinny actors. Certainly obesity isn't healthy. But being all bones, muscles and angles isn't healthy either. Indeed, many accomplished martial artists end up getting plumper, after all, their doctrine is an economy of movement - more work with less energy. As the body gets more efficient, unless you decrease food intake, you'll put on fat. However, this fat is noticeably different from the Taiyang (big belly above the navel) or Taiyin (droopy belly below the navel) disharmony body types as it tends to be more evenly distributed throughout the body.

Still body type isn't a great deciding factor. Some people, in health, will be chubby. Others will be thinner. Look to the eyes and face. If the eyes glow and the face is colorful, then you have a healthy person. If the face is too red or too pale, ashen, bags under the eyes, etc this person isn't a role-model of good health.

true, if a person has working on martial artists for 20 years, if he stop when getting older, surely, he will be a fat guy

I want to share some things I have learned by observing this world of spiritual techniques for sale.

There are some individuals who end up NOT balanced by the practice of qi gong and meditation, and when this happens there are some obvious signs that point to stay the hell away!!!

1. Their physical body is not in shape. If they claim their fat is qi, watch out. They physical body must have the suppleness, strength and shape of someone who takes care of themselves. You can't neglect the shell as it is a mirror image of the spirit that resides within. Its like trying to run a concert level audio production with the wiring of a stereo bought from Walmart. It just doesn't work. ...

You mean like this guy?

Yep, surely he has nothing at all - just look at him!

Ok, so obviously this left an impression. A big round one at that...

BK's condition is per an accident. But I am still cautious if a practitioner has crappy cardio.

If you are to truly work on all aspects of yourself, this includes the muscular system. I dont care how much qi you have, but if you cant lift your arm, how are you going to get it there? Demonstrations with guys who weigh a lot are easy for them to appear as if they are using qi to move people when its just their mass.

F=M x A

More mass, less acceleration needed to inflict force.

So its not a complete black and white comment. You have to take into consideration the whole picture.

Its just a pet peeve of mine that heavy people claim its qi, and not the fact that they are heavier. I know that the western body image is screwed up, and I am not saying we need to look like an underwear model, I sure as hell do not! A certain percentage of body fat is absolutely necessary for a healthy balance of yin and yang. Besides, if we are going to survive any sort of zombie apocalypse, food is going to be scarce. We will need some fat to get us through those long days... :lol:

Muscle, fascia, bone, qi flow and spiritual strength. That's a complete package!

And the ultimate goal for many of us...

Edited by Eternal_Student

... I dont care how much qi you have, but if you cant lift your arm, how are you going to get it there? Demonstrations with guys who weigh a lot are easy for them to appear as if they are using qi to move people when its just their mass.

Your perspective is common and probably one shared by most (obviously not all) who post here, especially the more MA oriented. But cultivated qi is projected by intent and really doesn't have a thing to do with muscles. I knew a fat Chinese teacher who had a stroke and couldn't move his right arm. But he could take his other arm, put the "dead" one on top of a person's head, and make said person shake like a monkey with his qi. Now, from the MA perspective I do agree to a certain point. But Master Chang (Chen Pan Ling's senior student) was a frail looking old man who could knock anyone on his ass while barely moving. It really boils down to LOOKS mean nothing as far as qi development. There are all sorts of body types out there.

Hi Eternal Student

and no I havent read your comment Marblehead..

I think you described someone immature I wouldn't want to spend too much time with but I cannot see what this has to do with qi sickness.

Ok, so obviously this left an impression. A big round one at that...

BK's condition is per an accident. But I am still cautious if a practitioner has crappy cardio.

If you are to truly work on all aspects of yourself, this includes the muscular system. I dont care how much qi you have, but if you cant lift your arm, how are you going to get it there? Demonstrations with guys who weigh a lot are easy for them to appear as if they are using qi to move people when its just their mass.

F=M x A

More mass, less acceleration needed to inflict force.

So its not a complete black and white comment. You have to take into consideration the whole picture.

Its just a pet peeve of mine that heavy people claim its qi, and not the fact that they are heavier. I know that the western body image is screwed up, and I am not saying we need to look like an underwear model, I sure as hell do not! A certain percentage of body fat is absolutely necessary for a healthy balance of yin and yang. Besides, if we are going to survive any sort of zombie apocalypse, food is going to be scarce. We will need some fat to get us through those long days... :lol:

Muscle, fascia, bone, qi flow and spiritual strength. That's a complete package!

And the ultimate goal for many of us...

you are not turely understand Qi. Qi can not beat someone , Qi is for internal work are not for fight (shaolin do have some skills, 1. able to take hurt , 2 break the stone , or something like that, to break a stone, you have to use your hand and an other thing, you can not just use qi to break a stone, believe of not, you have to be able in a deep meditiation to do so. but now it is not the goal, whatever you good on Qi anf gongfu, you can not fight with a gun), and there are good use of Qi, at very high level , those high level persons has two path, one is "fashu" . google "street magic" (those persons are born with those skill, guessing ). but at this path people will died around 80. another path is to get Enlightenment. have a very long life...

"fashu" do able to kill someone, but never seen a person do it for fun or for revenge something in personal life, and they never show off. a example for fashu : mils away, with a sword, read a few word, and do something, the enemy's head is on the sword already.(rails I can not show you and prove to you)

another amazing gongfu shown in "gongfu panda" . just pock you by finger, they can let you freeze, diet at once or in three days. (the death of "Bruce Lee" looks like being pocked by someone.). in written history, someone use this gongfu for revenge, he shake hands with the other, and pock with the gongfu, the other one don't even knows, but died after. the person pock others died in next month (please believe god). so what is the points to learn it. this skill is not Qigong.

I have seen some masters are disabled in Tibet, they sit too much in meditation, you can see and feel his power from his eye, but that is not good way, they do "Xing" to much , without practice in "ming" . however they are respected master. like try to climb Everest, they did very high in "xing" part. at least been there. but this mountain has two part, "xing and ming" . another true is that a lot of people have tried to reach the goal, only a few people successes. but when people reach there, they all say it is petty good, or, the best, of fantastic, or ..... the final goal is not clear, but for sure you could get a health body,

just can not explain in a few words, as I said you have to learn Tianhua Qigong above level 4, then you can have some understnding, then you could turely understand Taoism Philosophy. the ability to understand Taoism Philosophy will be base on the level of you Qigong practice or level of meditation . and after understanding Taoism Philosophy , you could have your Qigong and meditation go further, then more understanding of Philosophy, then more Gong. ...

Edited by TianhuaQigong