Sign in to follow this  
sunshine

Bodri'S Twenty-Five Doors to Meditation

Just in case you are interested. While this book is generally unavailable any longer I managed to get the book from an Australian bookshop:

maybe they still have a copy lying around:

www.mindbodyspirit.com.au

[email protected]

Harry

Edited by sunshine

Adyashanti's teachings blow Bodri's away IMO.

It's the difference between a heavy intellectual approach to spirituality and a heart centered approach.

After listening to his CD course. http://store.yahoo.com/soundstruestore/af00916d.html

I realized there are many things about awakening others arent awake to.

Best presentation of what "emptiness practice" really is IMO.

Edited by Cameron

Pretty much the same as the True Meditation thread I posted. those are his exact words I put up there from the course.

Any teacher's method can be summed up on one page. Find out what each teacher's method is and cook yourself a loaf and see if you like it.

Ramana Maharishi is a example to keep in mind--very realized and beautifully expressed but his method doesn't work for most of the population.

-Yoda

Let's throw Bill and Adyashanti in the ring and see who's right.

9786[/snapback]

Does everything have to be a joke to you Yoda? Adyashanti is a profound human being and Bodri is also an amazing person who has spent alot of time translating Buddhist scriptures into English. I don't see either of them desiring to be " thrown into a ring" in order to settle any issues about who is "best".

On a more serious note, I put $100 on Adya with a couple months training BJJ with sean in Oakland.

Tell us about that "Let everything be as it is" meditation from the CD... does it offer what it says?

9783[/snapback]

I read it and might have missed it: what's the practice "instruction" on how to achieve this?

It's difficult to break down intellectually. No real technique is involved. He does say you can use a method(such as watching the breath, mantra etc) until you get to the stage of just allowing being without any manipulation.

His DVD's are a sort of "transmission" of sorts that goes beyond words that are spoken. If your interested I would suggest getting the retreats from Amazon.com at like $44 for a 5 day retreat they are a steal.

If not, just try not manipulating or controling your experience whatsoever. Allow everything to be as it is. Just let everything be and go deeper into self surrender.

One thing that did stick out is to try to let go of your personal will for awhile. Whatever "you" think is supposed to happen or you want to happen. Let that willfulness of the "me" go and try to trust that "it" knows what to do.

I can't say too much else about it and hope that offers some clarity.

Thankx much Cameron,

thing is. I try to follow that approach anyway... but I realized that sometimes you have to give conscious effort to do it... like I have to catch myself in thought-circling and use Sedona, like: can I let these thoughts go... otherwise I would rotate endlessly...

anybody realized that calmess of the mind not juft depends on external happenings but on times of the day as well? Seems to follow the Chinese organ clock...

at certain hours my mind is "naturally calm"... and at others... especially after waking up (for about 2-3 hours after getting up) it plays the wild monkey...

hard to control & not easy to let go

Well, if Adyashanti agrees not to control or manipulate his experience, I'll put $100 on Bill.

I'm thinking quivering palm in the first round.

Ramana Maharishi is a example to keep in mind--very realized and beautifully expressed but his method doesn't work for most of the population. 

9787[/snapback]

... Although it does appear that more teachers are coming forward as representatives of Awakening from the Advaita Vedanta stream of Ramana Maharshi's lineage that includes like a dozen awakenings through the presence of Sri H.W.L. Poonja. Besides Nan Huai-Chin and Lama Surya Das I can't think of many living Buddhist teachers speaking from a stance of enlightenment. Even the Dalai Lama only teaches as a Bodhisatvva which in my understanding is not the same position.

Well, if Adyashanti agrees not to control or manipulate his experience, I'll put $100 on Bill.

I'm thinking quivering palm in the first round.

9805[/snapback]

I said after he had a couple months BJJ Mr. smarty pants!

Sunshine,

I'm really interested in hearing what hours you have monkey mind--when do you wake up?

I have trouble focusing in general and I'm trying to figure out what organ imbalance it's related to, so maybe I should start writing down what hours it is or when it gets better or worse.

Last night I dreamt that I was taking a written test and was doing really well but when they announced we only had five minutes left I picked up a magazine and started reading it-- then I had all these blank answers on my test when it was time to turn it in. I probably failed :( and I was doing so good! :angry: So I'm trying to figure out what to do about it other than meditation and good ol' memory herbs.

Lozen

It is very difficult to say as I have a very "out-of-balance"-style of living at the moment. Sometimes working during daytime, sometimes at night... currently when working at daytime I get up at about 6 or 6.30 in the morning... this time seems to be the most difficult to handle the monkey mind. It seems like still being in a dream state where it does what it wants and my "real me" just having to live with all that chatter... then at about 8 o'clock it seems to naturally calm down for several hours without me even noticing any real chatter... the rest of the day is too busy to notice...

by the way. Have you ever figured out which is the "real" organ time? I mean: it is said to swap every two hours, but we in Germany for example change times 2 times each year: winter & summer and the clock gets either turned forward an hour or back again... I assume the body isn't really interested in that shift and hardly adapts to it... does it?

& maybe you want to try that "I am"-meditation... I honestly feel it to have real potential in the long run... and just yesterday I started that Zhunti Mantra & it really helps to continue a mantra over and over again I feel. Just in the morning minutes getting up it is really tough to stay on track...

Harry

Sunshine,

I'm really interested in hearing what hours you have monkey mind--when do you wake up?

I have trouble focusing in general and I'm trying to figure out what organ imbalance it's related to, so maybe I should start writing down what hours it is or when it gets better or worse.

Last night I dreamt that I was taking a written test and was doing really well but when they announced we only had five minutes left I picked up a magazine and started reading it-- then I had all these blank answers on my test when it was time to turn it in. I probably failed :( and I was doing so good! :angry: So I'm trying to figure out what to do about it other than meditation and good ol' memory herbs.

Lozen

9809[/snapback]

By the way... I am a holosyncer and it showed that the mind chatter changes with each level and throughout each level...

by the way. Have you ever figured out which is the "real" organ time? I mean: it is said to swap every two hours, but we in Germany for example change times 2 times each year: winter & summer and the clock gets either turned forward an hour or back again... I assume the body isn't really interested in that shift and hardly adapts to it... does it?

9810[/snapback]

I heard the that the organ clock the way it is presented in books is a too schematic decription of processes that flow in individual patterns in each person according to where he lives and what kind of life he is currently leading, or according to his general imbalances, his age etc.

In history, often confucian scholars would pick up observations made by taoists (= good guys ;) ) and then put them into some nice schemata that where in accordance with their numerology , geometry and way of thinking in general. Many of those scholars were not even practicing physicians, but just strived for evolving the theory behind it. The organ clock we know about today may very well be an outcome of this .

I heard several times from healers that the active times of the organs can shift considerably, up to several hours, or even complete 12 hours swap.

An alternative model of the organ clock I came across is that the organs' acticity is determined by the time of sunrise and sunset. In this model there are seven phases from dawn to sunset and five from sunset to dawn. So according of the seasons the organs' active time is different in every season.

There is also the idea of biological midnight ( the time when the spark of new yang arises, which might be around midnight when you are in tune with the natural cycles) which might set the timing of the internal clock and the organs activity.

affenbrot

Sign in to follow this