Sign in to follow this  
fragrant herbs

New Here

Hi Fragrant Herbs,

Welcome!

May you enjoy your time here.

Hehehe. You are already a Taoist, you probably just don't realize it yet :)

Peace & Love!

Thanks Marblehead,

I have a blog on dangers of meditation, and a Taoist came on and told me to read a certain Taoist book. It is by Hua-Ching Ni. There are many things that I can really agree with in it, and was not like I was used to hearing, which made that pleasing to me, but some things bother me, but I thought maybe I would just check it out further.

Thanks Marblehead,

I have a blog on dangers of meditation, and a Taoist came on and told me to read a certain Taoist book. It is by Hua-Ching Ni. There are many things that I can really agree with in it, and was not like I was used to hearing, which made that pleasing to me, but some things bother me, but I thought maybe I would just check it out further.

I'm glad you were inspired to search. The two classics, Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu, explain all the basics of Taoism. Where one wishes to go after that is basically an individual choice. Some, like myself, just stay with the basics, others go into the religious areas and still others go into the alchemical areas. It all basically boils down to what one is searching for.

Yeah, meditation can be dangerous as it can become a form of self-hypnosis and we start creating illusions and delusions that are contrary to reality.

Peace & Love!

Hi again,

I have a book on Taoism that I have had for years by Lao Tzu, but I do not understand it. Is there a way to know what he is saying?

I believe that I am more into just "being" instead of religious dogma--of being told what to believe. I notice here that no one believes the same. How refreshing. Other views are discussed.

I found throughout my research that meditation can harm the mind, but for me it was always peaceful, and one day my mind expanded while in meditation, and I was enveloped in Love. It changed my life to a degree. So for this reason I believe in a Consciousness of Love, but beyond that I do not know. Some call it God, but if so, I have never had this God answer prayer. I do not see any interaction with mankind. When people die their mind expands and they have this same type of experience. But beyond that and what I said above, I no longer connect with religion in the same way as I did in the past.

Hi back at cha',

I agree that Lao Tzu is a difficult read if that is the only thing you read.

There are many translations that include the translator's interpretation and explanation (their personal understanding). There are many tanslations of Lao Tzu on the internet. Interpretations and discussion (explanation) are rare.

This is why I always recommend reading at least three different translations of Lao Tzu and then reading at least one translation of Chuang Tzu. Then go back and re-read the translation of Lao Tzu that felt best to you.

Translations of both can be found here: http://terebess.hu/english/tao.html

Pretty much, if you want an interpretation and explanation you need to buy the book.

Yeah, most people want some form of a "Universal" something or another. Most select a God for that purpose - others opt for something like a "Universal Consciousness" (which is close to what you mentioned).

Peace & Love!

Thank you, whish is the easiest to understand? While I would not wish to pay $65 for the book it would be good to have a book instead of trying to read one online.

I also have The Tao of Physics, but only because I used to clean frijof capra's house when i was in college. Should try to read it. I also have The Gentle Path of Spriitual Progress by Ni, Hua Ching, and while many of the things that he writes about are good, I was offended by his comments about homosexuality because I believe it to be genetic and feel that all humans should have equal rights, even in religion. And so I can imagine what a homosexual would feel upon reading this, because if I am offended they would be more so. There were some other things that I can't accept, such as spirits, but that doesn't mean that they are not real. Was this always a part of Taoism? Was alchemy always a part of Taoism? Meditation? Religion?

Edited by fragrant herbs

Thank you, whish is the easiest to understand? While I would not wish to pay $65 for the book it would be good to have a book instead of trying to read one online.

Okay. Give this one a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Skyligh...s/dp/1594732043

I have it but have not read it yet. I will say that there was an honest effort made toward an accurate translation and presenting a non-biased explanation.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this