Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

kettlebells

I'd like to buy some kettlebells for strength and cardio training, since I'm not a part of a gym and the weather outside is getting colder. So, has anyone here had good experiences with them? I'm thinking of getting a 10 lb. kettlebell for starters.

Any recommendations as to how heavy a weight to start out with, which exercises to do for beginners, etc?

Hard to give a good recommendation without knowing your level of strength. If you order RKC certified kettlebells they come in kilograms. When I started working out with my KB trainer, he started me at 16kg for all exercises-- swings, turkish getups, squat & press, etc.

The kettlebells that I personally own do come in pounds. I started out with 2 20lbs. Kettlebells and they are very light. I own a 35 and a 45. The 35 gives me a good workout most of the time. I use the 20 lbs mostly when I want to do a lot of circuit training type stuff--except for swings...unless I want to swing 2 KB's in each hand.

I'd like to buy some kettlebells for strength and cardio training, since I'm not a part of a gym and the weather outside is getting colder. So, has anyone here had good experiences with them? I'm thinking of getting a 10 lb. kettlebell for starters.

Any recommendations as to how heavy a weight to start out with, which exercises to do for beginners, etc?

I use bells to train my clients. You have to determine the weight based on your size, flexibility, and strength. A standard size for medium size men is the 12 kg bell. If it's too light, you won't get the desired effects; too heavy and your back can suffer. Be sure you can touch your toes with straight legs. That is the minimum level of starting flexibility you need.

"Enter the Kettlebell" can get you started. http://enterthekettlebell.com/

Just don't buy the bells from Pavel. They're too expensive. There's also a ton of stuff on youtube -

Innerspace,

Target sells really light ones and Play it again sports sells all weights at least in my area. In the cities you should be able to find used ones on craigslist or ebay. I am happy with my power-systems.com kettlebells.

If they are too light, they can be used for mobility drills and if they are too heavy for strength only, so it's not the end of the world either way.

My wild guess for an ok conditioned male is 35 pounds.

they are very cool.

Your pal,

Yoda

I'm another fan of the handleballs. I suggest looking into the AKC methodology and Scott Sonnon's take on them too. The RKC approach is called 'hardstyle', and is all about generating maximum tension and force. It's perfectly valid and an enjoyable way to train.

The AKC/Sonnon approach is about doing timed sets with very high repetitions, using as relaxed and fluid a style as possible. I find this style has a certain meditative aspect to it - almost like qigong with weights if you could imagine such a thing.

As for weight; untrained men should maybe think of a 12 or 16kg for starters IMO.

I currently train with a 24kg but I dont play with it nearly enough because I've been very lazy for a long while. I wish I had started with this though. http://www.artofstrength.com/online-store/reloadable.aspx

it allows for progression without having to continually go out and buy new bells. You just load more shot when you want it heavier. Plus the weight moves inside which you can use to correct your form. If the weight is shifting around making the exercise hard your doing it wrong (kind of like pavels towel method.)

the target ones are really light... like 10-15lbs, but still fun to swing around... maybe do double swings with 2 in each hand type thing to test.

yea, unless your unnaturally weak you should probably start with a 16kg (roughly 35 pounds). If you start with one thats way too light your going to teach yourself really bad form setting yourself up for a nasty injury (back problems are not fun) later when you gat one more your size. If you want to get into kettlebells, spend a little extra time and money to do it right. Otherwise you'll get nothing to show for it at best, or joint and back problems at worst.

Sign in to follow this