Sign in to follow this  
puzzled5

Work ethic/career goals / Taoism?

I'm really struggling right now in my career and I guess my life in general. Further more, I'm having this philosophical conflict within myself that is preventing me from moving forward.

On the one side is going with flow Taoism, which has greatly helped my anxiety overall. But I find myself too comfortable at times and engaging in procrastination, which has hurt me financially at times.

At the other side, is the believe in the Puritan work ethic. Really going all out for what I want and breaking through resistance rather than molding with it. This is more painful.

I just don't know what to do. Is there anyway to merge the two philosophies?

I just don't know what to do. Is there anyway to merge the two philosophies?

There absolutely is a very simple answer. And it is consistent with Taoist philosophy.

Do the best you can at whatever you decide to do. Use your capabilities and capacities to their fullest.

Then, when the task is accomplished, rest.

But don't rest when you should be taking care of business. That's called allowing a molehill grow to the size of a mountain.

Peace & Love!

There absolutely is a very simple answer. And it is consistent with Taoist philosophy.

Do the best you can at whatever you decide to do. Use your capabilities and capacities to their fullest.

But don't rest when you should be taking care of business. That's called allowing a molehill grow to the size of a mountain.

Peace & Love!

What about when I'm feeling resistance (either in myself or outside of myself) to a task I am doing? Do I just push through with that? Is that consistent with Taoism? I feel this is where I am very confused. Thank you so much for your help!!

What about when I'm feeling resistance (either in myself or outside of myself) to a task I am doing? Do I just push through with that? Is that consistent with Taoism? I feel this is where I am very confused. Thank you so much for your help!!

Now your question has become more complicated.

Resistence within can be analysized simply by asking yourself why you feel the resistence. The "why" is important.

Resistence from external sources can be examined fairly easily but the "why"s might not be obvious especially if they include other people because, it is a fact, people lie.

Going with the flow is pure Taoism. If you feel resistence you rest for a while, become a perfectly mirroring pond or lake until you amass enough power to overcome the resistence.

However, if you see logic in the resistence then I would say it would be best to pause, reconsider your possible choices of action and go forward from there.

As with all things, there is a 'best' time for action and there is a 'best' time for rest.

As I have expressed in various threads here, I think it is important to take care of yourself first so that you are at peace with yourself. Afterall, you spend more time with yourself than you do with any other person on this planet.

Generally speaking, if a given action (or non-action) feels 'right' then you are being true to yourself and you can continue on from there.

Peace & Love!

Marblehead - Wow, both of your posts were very helpful.

Puzzled5 - I'm having the same problem. However, I was able to follow what Marblehead pointed out. Going with the flow and taking breaks when it's necessary. Thank you!:0

Peace & Love!

thanks so much for the reply. I thought about this last night.

So is it okay for me to have goals and challenges for myself in this world?

Is it okay for me to work through the resistance or is that going against the Tao? I have alot of things I would like to do, but I just don't seem to accmplish much when I'm waiting for the resistance to go down.

I'm just really struggling with going after my goals and working long and hard for them while maintaing the Tao.

thanks so much for the reply. I thought about this last night.

So is it okay for me to have goals and challenges for myself in this world?

Is it okay for me to work through the resistance or is that going against the Tao? I have alot of things I would like to do, but I just don't seem to accmplish much when I'm waiting for the resistance to go down.

I'm just really struggling with going after my goals and working long and hard for them while maintaing the Tao.

Hi Puzzled5,

Have you ever seen a raging mountain river? It doesn't wait for anything, does it? When it encounters resistance it overwhelms the resistance.

But wait! Don't start blowing people away. Hehehe.

You need to feel it and you need to know that it is the right thing to do. Only you can feel the feeling.

Wu wei is non-action. Wei wu wei is action withour alterior motive. If your goal is honarable (and your well-being is an honorable goal) you will feel and know when it is time for action and when it is time for rest.

The only additional thing I suggest is that you pay attention to the concepts of ego, greed and desire. And don't hurt other living beings unnecessarily in the process.

Best wishes to you!

Peace & Love!

Hi Puzzled5,

Have you ever seen a raging mountain river? It doesn't wait for anything, does it? When it encounters resistance it overwhelms the resistance.

But wait! Don't start blowing people away. Hehehe.

You need to feel it and you need to know that it is the right thing to do. Only you can feel the feeling.

Wu wei is non-action. Wei wu wei is action withour alterior motive. If your goal is honarable (and your well-being is an honorable goal) you will feel and know when it is time for action and when it is time for rest.

The only additional thing I suggest is that you pay attention to the concepts of ego, greed and desire. And don't hurt other living beings unnecessarily in the process.

Best wishes to you!

Peace & Love!

So if my goal is honorable and no one will be hurt by it, it is okay to push past the resistance? As I've said before, when I feel resistance, I am unsure whether to get past it with stronger effort or sit back. Often times the resistance makes me lazy and keeps me stuck.

So if my goal is honorable and no one will be hurt by it, it is okay to push past the resistance?

In general, I would say yes.

As I've said before, when I feel resistance, I am unsure whether to get past it with stronger effort or sit back. Often times the resistance makes me lazy and keeps me stuck.

I can't speak to this. It is something you have to feel in your heart. Of course, always consider the possible results of your actions whenever possible. But personaly, I have always thought that if something needed to be done it is better to take action knowing that I might make a mistake than to do nothing and regret it later.

If you follow your heart at least you will be doing what you feel is the right thing to do.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this