Sign in to follow this  
Mandrake

Aye!

Well, not technically my first post. Made a post about 9 bottle wind a while ago, but the net has it's own tricks and my user id disappeared.

Anyway, haven't made an intro, so here it goes:

Male, currently 24, studying economics. Trying to learn chinese in my spare-time. Play the piano whenever I get hold of an instrument. Enjoy Pirates2 by Sid Meier, non-britney music with thought, belgian beer and strange culinary experiences.

Have studied all over the place, Paris, Australia, Scandinavia.

Have meditated daily for 1.8 years now - chundi mantra. Recently, I started doing a bit shikantaza - will be interesting.

Couple of days ago ordered Winn's Primordial Chikung video. I'll have a taste and see whether it goes back or (hopefully)not.

Started looking into eastern philosophies 5 years ago along with other more esoteric traditions. Took a while before I got a good overview enough not to accept any nonsense.

This is my stance now - not particularly thrilled by people arguing over stuff they haven't experienced. Why fight over something that can turn out untrue /partially true?

So, off and practice instead of wasting too much time online.

Mandrake - in discussions to come...

Mandrake

Welcome. The practice is what is it all about. I think it's even right in the TTC that the true man doesn't argue. I tend to have the whatever works for you do it philosophy. I mostly get on for entertainment but have talked to some interesting people over the years that I otherwise would not have.

I think it especially funny when, as an example, a Taoist guy from Italy is have an argument with a Taoist from NY or Oakland. Ten years ago these people would have never known eachother but through the wonder of technology they cana rgue over the internet about Taoist practices, ethics, herbalism or whatever.

Of course some good stuff comes out of these e interactions to I think.

Welcome Mandrake,

I've long stayed clear of the boards too but now giving it a shot, mostly because i like to read about people's personal experince.

Give a holler if you need help with the Primordial, it's pretty wild to learn on the video with all the turning and directions.

belgium beer, yummm

peace :-)

This is my stance now - not particularly thrilled by people arguing over stuff they haven't experienced. Why fight over something that can turn out untrue /partially true?

9705[/snapback]

Now see this is where I have to say you are absolutely wrong!

Just kidding. :lol:

Welcome Mandrake. I think The Tao Bums is unique in that most of us really do stay grounded in the way we relate and avoid resorting to tedious bickering over scripture, floating abstractions, dogma, etc. God, some of these forums out there ... we get nutty on TTB from time to time but I just can't believe how far past honest, experiential relating some discussions on other forums get ... like Buddhists taking up dozens of pages to bicker over the details of relationships between wordly deities, samsaric realms, blah blah blah. It's like our friend Hagar here would say ... there is virtue in staying close to the certainty of the obvious. All the juice is in beginner's mind. :)

Sean

@Cameron @Sean

True, some people seem to think they can talk themselves into some spritual accomplishment! Hahahah! If it's possible, I'll teach my mother that - WHAM, instant enlightenment!

Gradual for at least me.

I really like buddhist thought, but as you (Sean) pointed out - the forums are sometimes hilarious. I have one I visit occassionally and there are some really good threads, but all these people who have too much freetime!?

I just feel, since I left xianity 5 years ago (I study atheism from time to time - helps with exposing some nasty personal views) that you should run as hell from any dogma.

The buddhist scriptures, IMO, has a lot of valuable stuff, but people seem to shut their eyes when they encounter the passage where Buddha warns against blind faith and tells everyone to personally verify everything.

I don't have any belief in taoist immortals, not necessarily in buddhas either. If they pop up - nice. As to all the other stuff: if 1 happens, I'm open to that 2,3,4,5, can happen too, but no religion thanx!

My relatives have been some quite amazing stuff - but it rests on you, allways.

"we get nutty on TTB from time to time"

eh.. understatement? Imagine someone not well versed in our rather odd practices pop in and see...

"aneros device"... hmmm.

@Jeremiah

(cool , we share name!)

People allready commented, but yes, your avatar rox! Love the blue color.

The PCKung will arrive in a couple of weeks. What is your experience with it? Did you notice things from the beginning allready? Why do you keep doing it (if you do)?

Lastly - a lot of people who don't post/have an account browse on these pages, browse the discussion here and benefit enormmously - so, keep them up!

Wow. I never got any profound stuff like that from PCK but your post has inspired me to do a gentle set before bed .Even with my injured knee i think PCK is easy enough to do.

Sign in to follow this