joeblast

The Cool Picture Thread

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

image.png.3ccd75e5cce0e7e0d3e42037da6ff3d0.png

My Good Nungali -

would you be so kind as to throw us poor northern hemispherians a hint as to at least the genus of those cute tiny things?

I daresay if I were to venture a guess it would turn out that they were Australian WompRats?

walk in beauty

shunka

• Like 2

They are baby bandicoots  .....  'bandicutes' , I call em .    They'll be hopping all over my yard at night soon digging it up . VERY industrious diggers , some mornings it looks like the ground has had a plough over it  ... well, nearly .

They make a noise exactly like a child's  squeaky toy .

Here is the stripey type .

w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

and another handful;

13a27d43874a75c52a116755b258ff02.jpg

and a full grown western pygmy  possum

Pygmy-Possum_Amanda-McLean-Copy-1.jpg

• Like 8

ElPYR3QWkAA6hL_.thumb.jpeg.db271b09d750aa66e357f46969975d9e.jpeg

The Minoan olive tree of Kavousi, Crete, Greece. The oldest olive tree in the world. It is estimated that the tree was planted in the period 1350-1100 BC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

201111073712-screengrab-italian-hospital

This 81 year old Italian man, unable to visit his wife of 47 years while she is in the hospital due to covid, serenading her with a selection of her favorite songs from under her window...

This could have been me back in March when my wife became deeply ill with it.  My heart envelops this man and his wife.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Dedicated to all cool TDB cats, and to our 16 year old dame who sadly left us yesterday. 

Image may contain: ‎text that says "‎JAPANESE BOBTAIL BOMBAY PERSIAN AMERICAN DOMESTIC MAINE COON SCOTTISH FOLD MAU NORWEGIAN FOREST CAT CHANTILLY ABYSSINIAN SPHYNX RUSSIAN BLUE BURMESE BIRMAN CORNISH REX ANGORA MANX SIAMESE BRITISH SHORTHAIR CHARTREUX לור KORAT EXOTIC RAGDOLL BENGAL © LILI CHIN doggiedrawings.net Lili2014‎"‎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

@C T  So sorry for your loss.  May she find cat paradise.

My cat of 11 years left us in July but not to pass on, just to move on.  He got married.  He used to live the happy, lazy, uneventful life of a staunch bachelor, celibate by choice although fully equipped for procreation and promiscuity alike but never interested -- yes there were female cats who tried to win his favors but he chased them away -- until that fateful day he fell in love.  He started going out more and more to meet that pussy (I heard and saw them in the process of courtship and more, so I know what happened).  Staying out all night, then five days and nights in a row, then a week...  and then he left for good.  I hope he's happy and well-fed wherever he is.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ursus mellifera said:

Is... is that Christ blessing a bear that mauled him? And... is the bear actually feeling penitent?!

That seems to be the case.

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

That seems to be the case.

Also, given the markings I can see on the cubs, they appear to be asiatic black bears, so Jesus appears to have been wandering the forests of southeast Asia to have even gotten himself in that position.

And who's the dude in the background?! That looks like Jesus, too!!

There is SO MUCH going on here.

38 minutes ago, Ursus mellifera said:

Also, given the markings I can see on the cubs, they appear to be asiatic black bears, so Jesus appears to have been wandering the forests of southeast Asia to have even gotten himself in that position.

And who's the dude in the background?! That looks like Jesus, too!!

There is SO MUCH going on here.

I THINK the guy in the background is pre-encounter Christ. A narrative device I've seen. This is by Jim Woodring, who does Frank and manhog and all that mischief. 

And the skeleton? 

Post-dinner Christ, when mama bear prioritizes her cubs dinner before her own salvation? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

And the skeleton? 

Post-dinner Christ, when mama bear prioritizes her cubs dinner before her own salvation? 

I think the skeleton is of whomever owned the shoe and the scarf.

• Like 1