joeblast

The Cool Picture Thread

fluid, flowing life

within each motion, i sense a point of stillness about which the motion pivots...

this point is not always present within my form.

within form i sense a similar emptiness...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

fluid, flowing life

within each motion, i sense a point of stillness about which the motion pivots...

this point is not always present within my form.

within form i sense a similar emptiness...

nice

from you or a quote from someone else...

Edited by windwalker

1 hour ago, windwalker said:

nice

from you or a quote from someone else...

thanks mate, it's an attempt to describe a recurring sensation lately.

• Like 1

d8a88f621be5cb1d2ca7ed774f6f05caffdcdaa7

Stylized romantic painting or accurate depiction ?

Was the first  'landscape' Europeans found in Australia so 'park like' , or was that just the way they painted it ?    Written reports describe such 'park like' areas over huge tracts of land  ( eg,  fields of  cut grain extending to the horizon ,  conical 'haystacks' stacked up across it. )

Even so, it was considered as the result of 'nature' ... not 'man'    by  many .  One early reporter considered the above grain fields might be work of  some type of unknown bird  .   ....     :blink:

• Like 1

'Perfect' ?    Now I am confused . I would  have thought nature was more 'perfect'

Do you mean, the landscape looks too manicured and not 'wild' enough  ... type of 'perfect'  ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nungali said:

'Perfect' ?    Now I am confused . I would  have thought nature was more 'perfect'

Do you mean, the landscape looks too manicured and not 'wild' enough  ... type of 'perfect'  ?

Yes to what I highlighted.

I know, "perfect" wasn't a good word to use but at least you got the picture of what I was wanting to say.

• Thanks 1

Okay, here is the thing. I thought the same. Also people back in England just assumed the artist had painted it that way .

I now how unreal some of those artists were as I looked at some of the period paintings, drawing and etching of things they did, like temples and architecture in Egypt , nothing like the later photos ... all very 'westernised'  or done in more of a western classical Greek style.

But I have been reading up a lot on this lately ; old historical accounts and first hand witnesses .   Some say they are accurate descriptions as they saw it with their own eyes. One went to a spot where a landscape was painted and identified the individual rocks and plants there and was able to locate the painters point of view. Many declare the strange and park-like nature all around .

The landscape was divided up into grasslands, park like areas (grass land with scattered trees and shrubs), and forest, in a mosaic pattern.  Also trees that had been changed and coaxed into unusual growth patterns or plaited together (when young ) .  But some people just didnt get it .  One explorer came upon fields of cut grain with the grain piled up in little 'haystacks' and assumed some unknown type of  birds had done it  .

I will post some references and descriptions later  (my power cord just blew out and battery is running out ) - its fascinating  - I been reading about, fields of grain, storage silos, houses, villages, fish and eel faring, clam gardens,   automatic fish catching rods, dams that let the breeding fry through and catch the big ones .  Some say it all worked interlocked together .

This book (nearly finished )

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21401526-dark-emu

My next book on the subject to tackle

https://www.allenandunwin.com/browse/books/general-books/history/The-Biggest-Estate-on-Earth-Bill-Gammage-9781743311325

"

"Explodes the myth that pre-settlement Australia was an untamed wilderness revealing the complex, country-wide systems of land management used by Aboriginal people.

Across Australia, early Europeans commented again and again that the land looked like a park. With extensive grassy patches and pathways, open woodlands and abundant wildlife, it evoked a country estate in England. Bill Gammage has discovered this was because Aboriginal people managed the land in a far more systematic and scientific fashion than we have ever realised.
With details of land-management strategies from around Australia, The Biggest Estate on Earth rewrites the history of this continent, with huge implications for us today. Once Aboriginal people were no longer able to tend their country, it became overgrown and vulnerable to the hugely damaging bushfires we now experience. And what we think of as virgin bush in a national park is nothing of the kind. "

I think something like this happened in USA ?  Some assumed the natives were just living in nature - now it appears they may have constructed these landscapes and environments .
Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

I read the same regarding both N and S american traditions of managing the land. Instead of the intense agriculture of the old world ,prescribed burng and fostering of the natural flora was done. Floating gardens structured waterways, planned distribution of trees and so forth. 

The system was slick , mostly effortless ,and very productive. But it doesnt fit with the very high population densities which are the basis for fighting power, and concentrates less on storable grains. That kind of management relies on a more communal social structure since anyone could just go and collect stuff the day before you got to it. Hard times would need to be more brief, and one may have to move frequently. 

If you were going to specialize at a trade, you just cant pick up and leave your ... clay deposit, timber stand , fishing hole.  It just ends up condusive to being generally trained in simple skills ,living in smaller concentrations with more impermanent housing. While it may make for a good way of life, it impedes the progression of fancier development civilizationwise.

• Like 2

That calls for some   'cool pictures' 

dogsownerslook-likedogs.jpg

Oh Gawd !  How can I resist ;

humans-look-like-dogs-doppelganger-you-a

• Like 1

MOTHERLOAD ! 

RNC-Minerals-gold-Beta-Hunt-mine-Kambald

An underground mine in WA’s Goldfields has produced what its owner believes are two of the biggest gold specimens in recorded history in what has been described as a “once-in-a-lifetime” discovery.

Since last weekend, RNC Minerals has been tallying the bonanza haul from a single cut of rock blasted about 500m underground at the 45-year-old Beta Hunt gold mine near Kambalda, 600km east of Perth and 50km south of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

The biggest of the stones came in at 90kg and is estimated by the company to contain about 2300 ounces of gold, a total that at current prices would be worth about $3.8 million.

The second-biggest piece was not far shy at 60kg, with an estimated 1600oz lodged within the quartz specimen, valued at about $2.7 million. And there’s more where that came from.

• Like 2

PS

dont be ' fooled ' 

Holter-Nugget-16cm-72.jpg

Spoiler

Original :

Bernhard_otto_holterman_with_630lb_gold_

"

The nugget was 149 centimeters long, weighed 285.763 kilograms, and contained 141.74 kilograms worth of gold. In technical terms, the slab would be referred to as a matrix instead of a nugget, as it was heavily veined with gold.

After it was photographed, weighed, measured, and put on display for the world, it was crushed to release the gold. The slab yielded 11 pennyweights of gold. "

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/australia/meet-the-man-who-found-australias-largest-gold-nugget.aspx

• Like 1

1 minute ago, windwalker said:

Not angry,  just very aware 

I'll accept that but with reservations.

• Haha 1