joeblast

The Cool Picture Thread

I like the numbers. Beauty..

One could keep gazing forever, most healing.

Yea but what is it? (forgive ignorance)

its a small C class solar flare, taken from a coronameter set up to block direct sunlight but it catches what's going on in the solar atmosphere...you can see mercury off to the lower left...

• Like 1

snap!

epicblast2.gif

although...I do have to chuckle at the file name - "epicblast2" - ummm, yeah, something altogether common, while impressive, is most certainly NOT epic :P

Edited by joeblast

The sun, as seen through...a beer can :lol:

"With and empty beer can (pinhole-photography)I took a picture of the Sun with an exposure time of nearly 6 months. See the result. It is called Solarography. Put a piece of photographic paper in an empty tin, seal it and make a pinhole of around 0,5 mm in it and fix it firmly pointing south towards the Sun."

Jan-Koeman-Solargraph-Zeeuws-Archief-uit-lang-smal-blikje-19aug-23dec2010-FotoJanKoeman_1293171245_med.jpg

• Like 1

If I were in that cavern I'd have to sit there and OMMMMM for about 4 hours straight :lol: With my luck something would crash on top of me B)

nice one 9th _/\_

I thought we had a vid thread down here, dont see it :D

this vid made me laugh my ass off. I certainly wouldnt want to be anywhere near something like this! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8rXiN_Oys4

:lol: vids are welcome on taoist tv thread btw. looks like the engineers need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

:lol: nah this lift was actually an old one that they were taking down and they decided to do some serious stress-testing! my older brother said years ago that if you're ever on a lift that all of a sudden goes crazy fast like this, you are really best off jumping off the thing!

judging by how far those concrete blocks got tossed, I'd agree :lol: I jumped a chairlift once, but I was young, and it was late in the day and so viciously cold my buddy and I just couldnt stand another 700 yards on it :blink: but that was only about a 10 foot drop, so no real biggie there.

Michael-French-swirlyICE_1296508078_med.jpg

"The guide wires on the telephone poles are spun clockwise, and the snow formations were spun anti-clockwise. The spirals at the top near the poles were longer (1m) than the spirals at the bottom (.1 -.3 meters) - (perhaps because of gravity?). But they formed continuous spirals of hardened snow (the next day they would have qualified as ice) from top to bottom of the telephone pole guide wires and were rotated OPPOSITE of the metal wire's weave."

• Like 1