Sign in to follow this  
Archaic17

Im starting meditation

hey guys well you see i have been lifting weights for a long time and have just now today begin to really see the fruits of my labor so with that in mind i though... maybe i should really start meditation and get some REAL FRUITS OF LABOR haha!

so yes tonight i am finally going to begin my taoist path for real.

i have the book "Cultivating Stillness" which i am going to use as my guild but i would greatly appreciate you assistance in this matter of mine :)

my first goal in my meditations is mental clarity (clearing my mind and being at peace)

-so i can sweep the road clean for future meditative journeys.

so clearing my mind and working on my memory... then im going to work on letting go of desires such as junk food video games and WOMAN omg i have to let them go they are the largest distraction in my life haha

that is just a very tiny tiny list of my goals in meditation.

so yes please let me know your thought and your help thank you

Brandon P.

aka Archaic.

(P.S how do i change my log in email address i dont use this one really anymore) :P

Edited by Archaic17

Just try sitting in full-lotus padmasana (legs crossed -- feet up on the thighs).

If you can then there you go -- the longer the better and secrets will be revealed.

Best to practice the microcosmic orbit aka the small universe -- you can get a great c.d. practice for it Level 1 sitting meditation or small universe c.d. from http://springforestqigong.com

The secret meaning of the microcosmic orbit is explained in Mantak Chia's first book, "Awakening the Healing Energy of the Tao" and for more advanced meaning read

"Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" trans. by Charles Luk.

Those are the best books in my opinion -- although other greats are

Master Nan, Huai-chin's books.

David Godman's "Nothing Ever Happens" on Poonjaji

Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi.

Opening the Dragon Gate on Wang, Liping.

Then you can get real laser-love transmissions over the phone from Chunyi Lin and Jim Nance -- http://springforestqigong.com -- they're the real deal.

learn to breath abdominaly, learn to focus and still your mind, learn to go into what chunyi lin of spring forest calls the emptiness, the void, the abyss.

The secret meaning of the microcosmic orbit is explained in Mantak Chia's first book, "Awakening the Healing Energy of the Tao" and for more advanced meaning read

David Godman's "Nothing Ever Happens" on Poonjaji

What is the "secret meaning" of the MCO?

And, I can't find anything on David Godman's "Nothing Ever Happens"?

And, I can't find anything on David Godman's "Nothing Ever Happens"?

I've never read the book, but here's something on it:

http://www.realization.org/page/doc0/doc0096a.htm

It looks like an interesting book.

[Edit:]

And here's a link to David Godman's website:

http://davidgodman.org/books/padamalai.shtml

Best wishes...

Edited by Iskote

hey guys well you see i have been lifting weights for a long time and have just now today begin to really see the fruits of my labor so with that in mind i though... maybe i should really start meditation and get some REAL FRUITS OF LABOR haha!

i have the book "Cultivating Stillness" which i am going to use as my guild but i would greatly appreciate you assistance in this matter of mine :)

Brandon P.

aka Archaic.

(P.S how do i change my log in email address i dont use this one really anymore) :P

Working with weights you need relaxation time to un-knot. This one is good for all of the above:

The Savasana is known as the most important exercise in Yoga as it is the entrance to Raja Yoga - the awakening point. It is the changing from focus on body to mental, mindfull, Yoga.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...1802&st=120

"Cultivating Stillness" is very good - but im my opinion it is a bit overly advanced for someone beginning.

This one covers it in simple English, will give you loosening up exercises, is only 85 pages in large print - and 10 of the 85 pages are pictures. I got mine from a used book shop for $2. - I noticed that Amazon.com has it for $3. :P

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Tibetans-Dynami...l/dp/0892814500

I would begin with the Kundalini Meditation exercises first - even before the webpage I gave above.

Edited by ~jK~

You mentioned you're looking to practice "finding stillness". Taoism calls meditation "ching-jing wu-wei" which literally translates as "sit still and do nothing". This, in my opinion, should be the foundation of everyone's internal practice.

I would highly recommend do this practice for a at least two months daily before adding what I refer to as "meditation with content". This would be any type of meditation, qi-gong or yoga practice that involves visualization or using any technique. so literally ching-jing wu-wei is meditation with no technique. This allows your mind to get used to settling down. Once you can settle your mind with greater ease, you will have much more success and less distractions in your qi-gong or other practices.

Here's a mini meditation instructional that I have written:

Beginners (and advanced) meditation tips

It's interesting to note that every traditional system of cultivation more or less used this exercise. It's used in Tibetan Buddhism, Zen, Hindu practices and Chan Buddhism to name a few.

If you define the taoist path as living your life in accordance with reality and nature, then do so. You won't need books or methods.

If you define the taoist path as practicing a specific school of Daoist cultivation, then you will need to find a qualified teacher. Learning and practicing from books and internet advice will not work. The majority of folks who write books about cultivation and offer advice on the internet have limited knowledge and experience. You will waste a great deal of time.

Sorry to be a downer but that is the truth as I see it.

Good luck

Learn to understand the root of your emotions!

Control your perception of your emotions, don't let your perceptions of your emotions control you!

I think meditation is best performed within a cave...

with Megan Fox.

Hmm.. I was told she IS pretty nifty with her hand....mudras!! :lol:

Hmm.. I was told she IS pretty nifty with her hand....mudras!! :lol:

I strongly insist you will have better results with Sayuki Matsumoto in a cave :P:lol:

And instead of helping a newbie "enter the void", we slowly make this into a thread of who's the hottest, sexiest babe.

Normally I would object.

Normally.

Not today though.

Ohh yeaah. Let the games begin! :lol:

And instead of helping a newbie "enter the void", we slowly make this into a thread of who's the hottest, sexiest babe.

Normally I would object.

Normally.

Not today though.

Ohh yeaah. Let the games begin! :lol:

What do you mean, "slowly"? We did this pretty fast, don't you think? My fault on this one. My apologies, but Archaic already got what he was asking for, and the advice is sound. Actually, he's poised for remarkable progress if he's already working out. As a personal trainer who had the luxury of working out all friggin' day, my mind/muscle connection made my Taoist meditation considerably more producttive than a sedentary person. It's all about waking up the nervous system, in the final analysis.

I don't think you can go wrong with the instructions here http://www.cloudwater.org/index.php/ch-an-...how-to-meditate . also zen mountain monastery has some good beginers instructions.

what ever you decide on as a method, dont judge yourself harshly when your attention wanders or you have alot of stray confused thought. relax be kind to yourself.

my teacher tells beginners that there are only two things to do, stay (on your concentration object) and return. as long as you are doing those 2 things you are doing it right. i also liked suzuki's comment that "thoughts come in the front door and go out the back, we dont invite them for tea :)

As a personal trainer who had the luxury of working out all friggin' day, my mind/muscle connection made my Taoist meditation considerably more producttive than a sedentary person. It's all about waking up the nervous system, in the final analysis.

I think that this is an important consideration. Again, what Blasto said is referring to whole body (body, mind & spirit if your meditation takes you there) exercise.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this