innerspace_cadet

How do Taoists cultivate equanimity?

I know that in Yoga and Buddhism, equanimity (upekkha) is highly valued, but what about Taoism? How do Taoists reach that state where even extremely difficult circumstances do not disturb their inner tranquility? Thanks.

Taoist way is simple : Just forgetting it .

Forget your body so that qi can be cultivated; forget qi ,so that your shen can be cultivated;

forget shen so that nothingness can be cultivated . (From : " Book of Assimilation " ("化書") )

(忘形以養氣, 忘氣以養神,忘神以養虚 - by 譚峭 )

Edited by exorcist_1699

I know that in Yoga and Buddhism, equanimity (upekkha) is highly valued, but what about Taoism? How do Taoists reach that state where even extremely difficult circumstances do not disturb their inner tranquility? Thanks.

By genuinely practicing Wu Wei -

Once the Daoist comes to know that they are simply the universe become aware of itself, there is no separation therefore no attachment and no fear or sufferring. There can no longer be clinging to life or fear of death because life and death are two side of a coin, inseparable, mutually arising. This is the nature of love.

Equanimity is a natural consequence of Daoist living.

Meditation practices can help one achieve this but meditative living is equally effective.

• Like 1

All those questions, how do Taoists... what do Taoists... and so on,

they all start from the assumption that there is this one group of people, quite clearly identified and maybe identifiable that call themselves Taoists. And they do thing in a particular way.

The fact is that things are not so clear. There are and have been in history different groups that calls themselves Taoists. And they did things not always the same.

So a better question would be:

do you consider yourself a Taoist?

how do you cultivate equanimity?

And you already had some great answers on this thread.

In alchemical Taoism there is a phase which you are supposed to sit in front of a wall for 9 years. This is taken from Ta Mo (Bodhidharma ) practice, and is generally considered that in this period you practice equanimity. But it is done at a particular stage of the process. And the 9 years means until the stage is complete (9 is the number of completion).

It's true that Zhuang Zi speaks about sitting and forgetting. It is also true that our school refers directly to ancient Taoism (pre Buddhist influence), so we should be using that method. When we asked to Bruce (the lineage master of the school) how was sitting and forgetting done he answered: "too advanced, there is not one of you who would have a chance in hell in doing it right now. We'll speak about it when the time will come". The time hasn't obviously come yet.

There are also some teachings about equanimity in the book "seven taoist masters", about how you see and not see, hear and not hear. Which ties with all the teachings about keeping your eyes neutral. Not have them go out like a kid in a candy store, not have them go in, like a person who is under severe depression. Just neutral. Not ice cold... just neutral.

But then there are also other practices. For example inner dissolving tend to bring you to a place of equanimity, where everything is the same, and everything is smooth. And so does working with the heart mind. In fact when your heart mind is open you can pretty much take in the whole universe, which is a neat trick if the situation is really nasty outside.

So equanimity is practiced in different ways by different groups. And in each group there are multiple practices that connect to, develop, and sustain a practice of equanimity.

Regarding me:

I consider myself a Taoist,

I develop equanimity through internal dissolving as my main practice.

My auxiliary practice is keeping the eyes neutral, and I am working on my heart mind.

Would this have anything to do with Zuowanglun Sitting Forgetting meditation?

I am ignorant of the technique but just by the words I would probably say yes.

The thing about meditating, IMO, is that if you attain the state of not even knowing you are meditating you will be open for the spirit of Tao to enter your essence. Concentration on nothing but awareness of everything.

Thing is, IMO, if we concentrate on anything during meditation we really are not meditating, we are simply practicing self-hyponosis. True meditation, IMO, requires mindlessness.

Peace & Love!

Hi Pietro,

Nice post. Even caused me a laugh regarding Bruce's comment.

Yes, Taoists come in all shapes and sizes. One shoe doesn't fit all.

Peace & Love!

Namaste,

I think a good way to start is to simply accept yourself and your shortcomings therefore you can accept others short comings. Then you realize everyone is you and you are everything. All is ever changing. We come in and out of the Eternal Dao

I'm considering the following:

- whatever you think, Tao is at work anyway

So you can't really DO much about it. Whether you do or do not. It happens. So might as well become:

- aware of it

I was about to add "enjoy it" but am not quite there yet.

I'm considering the following:

- whatever you think, Tao is at work anyway

So you can't really DO much about it. Whether you do or do not. It happens. So might as well become:

- aware of it

I was about to add "enjoy it" but am not quite there yet.

Yep. We are all Taoists whether we admit it or not. :)

So we might just as well admit it and get on with our life.

Peace & Love!