Sign in to follow this  
secularfuture

5 Recommendations for the Taoist Seeker

Which 5 items would you recommend to a person who wanted to learn more about Taoism, and then put what they learned into practice?

Here are the top 5 items that have been recommended to me:

Which 5 items would you recommend to a person who wanted to learn more about Taoism, and then put what they learned into practice?

Here are the top 5 items that have been recommended to me:

Speaking from the stand-point of a novice I would say we learn best by doing. I like the Pattabi-Jois yoga maxim of '98% practice and 2% theory'. As such I would perhaps suggest that someone start with something like sitting and forgetting or some basic qi-gong (8 pieces brocade perhaps?) and practice that daily and see where it takes them. Then add in a couple of translations of the TTC and see how that resonates with you. Trying to gather too much info at once can stall you in my experience. YMMV of course.

Trying to gather too much info at once can stall you in my experience.

You're absolutely right. When I was a Theravada Buddhist, there were times when I was so busy with studying the terminology and Pali that I barely had time for practice. :lol:

Edited by secularfuture

Item 1:

Seek a reputable Xingyi/Bagua teacher in your area

Item 2:

Tao Te Ching

Item 3:

Huangdi Neijing

Item 4:

Qigong Empowerment

Item 5:

Awakening to the Tao

Good luck!

I am starting with reading The Tao Te Ching trans. by Addiss & Lombardo and adding meditation/yoga. I will then move to Tai Chi/Meditation and maybe Qi Gong.

Do you find the Addiss & Lombardo translation easy to read?

Seek a reputable Xingyi/Bagua teacher in your area

What if you can't find a teacher?

Do you find the Addiss & Lombardo translation easy to read?

What if you can't find a teacher?

No, but I believe with all books on Tao, it takes dozens of reads and then you have to meditate on it!:) That is at least what has worked for me.

If you can find a legitimate teacher of Daoist cultivation, make yourself his/her disciple and practice diligently.

If that is not an option, here are 5 recommendations that may help you along your way for a while...

1. Practice awareness - Observe everything around you and inside you, including your behavior, feelings, motivation, reactions to others, perceptions, assumptions, sensations and so on.... as if it were all occurring to someone else.

2. See if you can figure out what the "I" is that you take yourself to be. What is it that is watching what you are doing? What is it that's asking that question? And so on...

3. Eat natural foods in moderation whenever possible and practice some form of regular physical exercise - taijiquan is fantastic, qigong is very good as well, but anything will do

4. Try to reflect the concept of Wu Wei in your daily life - go with rather than against. Be secure in the knowledge that the universe provides exactly what you need at any given moment.

5. Live with passion and intensity but do not become attached to desire or goals. Relish experience but don't try to capture or recreate pleasurable moments. Live life directly, not through books and theories.

If you practice the first two things above patiently and diligently, the rest will come naturally with no need for any effort.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this