Sign in to follow this  
secularfuture

Seeking an Outline on Taoist Practices

I'm looking for quality books, pdfs, or videos on how to put Taoism into practice. I've already purchased 365 Tao by Ming-dao Deng, and I'm studying Qigong with the help of a series by Ken Cohen. Are there any other practices, or meditation styles, that I should be aware of?

Your help would be appreciated.

Edited by secularfuture

I'm looking for quality books, pdfs, or videos on how to put Taoism into practice. I've already purchased 365 Tao by Ming-dao Deng, and I'm studying Qigong with the help of a series by Ken Cohen. Are there any other practices, or meditation styles, that I should be aware of?

Definitely pick up a copy of "Scholar/Warrior" by Deng Ming-Dao as well. Beware of creating a spiritual soup in the beginning, that being the New Age trap that has snared many a seeker.

"The teaching of Tao originated in prehistoric times. For many generations people searched out methods by which to develop themselves. These methods are numerous and some have even been formalized as different schools which emphasize one or two things and make other aspects secondary to one's personal cultivation. Here I would like to give you some idea of the many effective methods which are practiced among achieved ones.

~ Nei Tan, Internal Medicine, which can support a person's spiritual future through refinement of the physical, mental and spiritual essence,

~ Tai Shi, Internal Breathing, which is higher than external breathing, although both are usually practiced together,

~ Tao Yin, Energy Channelling, for purposes of health and spiritual benefit,

~ Chun Shih, Visualization or concentration,

~ Fu Erh, External Nutrition, using natural herbs and other things,

~ Shing Jeau, Walking, for gathering and refining energy,

~ Fuh Chi, Internal Energy Maintenance,

~ Bei Gu, to stop eating food completely (especially helpful to those who are cultivating spiritually so that they can stop looking for and preparing food for themselves - eventually they combine their life with the environment),

~ Fu Chi, Intaking Natural Energy through breathing and swallowing, which should be practiced with Bei Gu,

~ Fang Jung, Sexual Cultivation,

~ Fu Jyeo, Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and also Invocations,

~ Jing Tan, Golden Elixir,

~ Shr Jeah, Method of Exuviation into a New Life."

p3, Ni Hua Ching, "Workbook for Spiritual Development of All People", Seven Star Communication, CA, 2005

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have a lot of respect for Ming-dao Deng's work. I'll definitely check out this book. Thank you for the suggestion.

Definitely pick up a copy of "Scholar/Warrior" by Deng Ming-Dao as well. Beware of creating a spiritual soup in the beginning, that being the New Age trap that has snared many a seeker.

I've book marked your page and I'll give it a peek.

~ Nei Tan, Internal Medicine, which can support a person's spiritual future through refinement of the physical, mental and spiritual essence,

~ Tai Shi, Internal Breathing, which is higher than external breathing, although both are usually practiced together,

~ Tao Yin, Energy Channelling, for purposes of health and spiritual benefit,

~ Chun Shih, Visualization or concentration,

~ Fu Erh, External Nutrition, using natural herbs and other things,

~ Shing Jeau, Walking, for gathering and refining energy,

~ Fuh Chi, Internal Energy Maintenance,

~ Bei Gu, to stop eating food completely (especially helpful to those who are cultivating spiritually so that they can stop looking for and preparing food for themselves - eventually they combine their life with the environment),

~ Fu Chi, Intaking Natural Energy through breathing and swallowing, which should be practiced with Bei Gu,

~ Fang Jung, Sexual Cultivation,

~ Fu Jyeo, Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and also Invocations,

~ Jing Tan, Golden Elixir,

~ Shr Jeah, Method of Exuviation into a New Life."

Of the practices listed, I think Nei Tan, Chun Shih, Shing Jeau, Fuh Chi, and Shr Jeah appeal to me most. But, so that I don't get too bogged down in practice, I'm probably going to stick with Qigong for the time being.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have a lot of respect for Ming-dao Deng's work. I'll definitely check out this book. Thank you for the suggestion.

I've book marked your page and I'll give it a peek.

Of the practices listed, I think Nei Tan, Chun Shih, Shing Jeau, Fuh Chi, and Shr Jeah appeal to me most. But, so that I don't get too bogged down in practice, I'm probably going to stick with Qigong for the time being.

:) Qigong, a more recent term, officially is in the category of Tao Yin.

:) Qigong, a more recent term, officially is in the category of Tao Yin.

I didn't know that. :lol:

In your opinion, do you think Qigong (or Tao Yin) is a good starting point? I've been enjoying it. I especially like the visualizations. Very relaxing.

Edited by secularfuture

I think what Stig is saying is that qigong is a subset of Tao Yin. Deng Ming-Dao's Scholar/Warrior defines taoyin as "the bridge from exercise to meditation." Great reference tool also.

Qigong is where it's at, man! You're doing everything right! :D

seriously, if you're still young and in good physical condition or work out you can turn mind/muscle connection data from weightlifting and exploit that for a quicker grasp of your internal, bio-electrical pathways (meridians).

that's my working hypothesis, anyway.

Edited by Blasto

As a fellow beginner, (to Taoist practices - I've practiced some other methods for a few years now) I'd hesitantly offer the following to all this; pick one or two practices which are suited to your temperament, available time and level of understanding and really get aqcuainted with them. Hammer them.

If you've ever learnt a sport, martial art or musical instrument, try and apply some of the principles that worked when learning those; i.e. practice time is essential, and mastery of some basics can take you a long way. In all walks of life people can achieve complete mastery with one or two well-polished techniques.

As I say, I am a novice so take my advice with a pinch of salt but I think it could be relevant.

Good luck with your work. :)

Thanks!
Say, so when you were sitting...were you sitting in lotus, half-lotus or simply cross-legged? And how much do you think that matters?

Also, were you simply doing this same meditation the whole time?

Bone breathing with breathing energy up my spine ending with total focus on the forehead point with closed eyes lasting 20 minutes once a day and I did this several times a week but not every day.
And could you explain it a bit more in detail? How exactly do you do bone breathing? And, so you kept your focus on your 3rd eye (like Gopi Krishna), rather than down in your dan tian?

Say, so when you were sitting...were you sitting in lotus, half-lotus or simply cross-legged? And how much do you think that matters?

Also, were you simply doing this same meditation the whole time?And could you explain it a bit more in detail? How exactly do you do bone breathing? And, so you kept your focus on your 3rd eye (like Gopi Krishna), rather than down in your dan tian?

I answer all that here in this video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/DarinHamel#p/u/21/yJky-q9sTjM

In terms of reading materials -

I learned a lot from reading Osho: When the Shoe Fits, Commentary on the Taoist Sage Chuang Tsu

Then I actually read some Chuang Tsu (Zhuangzi)

I learned even more from reading J Krishnamurti: To Be Human and other books of his.

Finally, I learned a great deal from reading Anthony Demello: Awareness

Krishnamurti and Demello would not call themselves Daoist nor would many on this forum refer to them as such but their works, IMO, if taken seriously will take you directly to the core.

If you really are interested in Daoist cultivation practices, a legitimate teacher is essential.

None of the popular readings about alchemy and theory are an adequate substitute.

I learned a lot from reading Osho: When the Shoe Fits, Commentary on the Taoist Sage Chuang Tsu

Then I actually read some Chuang Tsu (Zhuangzi)

I learned even more from reading J Krishnamurti: To Be Human and other books of his.

Finally, I learned a great deal from reading Anthony Demello: Awareness

Krishnamurti and Demello would not call themselves Daoist nor would many on this forum refer to them as such but their works, IMO, if taken seriously will take you directly to the core.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely research them on Amazon.

If you really are interested in Daoist cultivation practices, a legitimate teacher is essential.

I don't entirely agree. There are very good training videos that can walk a seeker through practice, and some of them were made specifically for people who can't find a teacher. A teacher is only needed if you need help with a specific problem, or aren't sure about something. And even then you could just come to an Internet forum such as this one, or call or email a teacher for help.

Edited by secularfuture

Sign in to follow this