Aetherous

Stress Eraser

In the Zhan Zhuang topic, Sheng Zhen said...

Interesting also that you mention the nervoussystem. Just yesterday I was observing my Heart Rate Variability(which is a biofeedback window to the nervoussystem, check out www.stresseraser.com) while deep and long breathing. It clearly showed the limit to where the nervoussystem start to fire off chaotically instead of harmoniously. And the limit was not where I thought it was!

I can easily slow my breathing to 2-3 breaths per minute and have a good and deep meditation like that. But when I saw my nervoussystem I noticed that it is not really relaxing my nerves at all! I had to spend a lot more time than usually with 7 breaths per minute before I could slow down to 6 while keeping the same harmonious nervous system. I could not get past 6 breaths per minute without disrupting my nervoussystem. It was an eye-opener for me that I dont think I have fully understood yet.

Totally awesome. Thanks for the heads up on what looks like an absolutely great product. I will definitely get it once I have the moolah.

I've got one.

It's a very well made, cool looking little machine and works pretty well too.

Sometimes it behaves erratically and doesn't read correctly... if you use it to actually time your breaths, note that there is a small delay as it reacts to you. And only other downside is that you have to hold it up.

I'm also looking at checking out the biofeedback device from these guys.

Sweet. Please update on the Wild Divine stuff if you check it out.

The main reason I'm interested in the Stress Eraser is for the feature of finding the optimal breathing rate. Many people who are beginning breathing practices have trouble relaxing, and some try to go too deep and long right away...when it'd actually be healthier for them to breathe slightly more shallow and short.

It seems accurate that by using different methods of biofeedback, we can determine what's best for us individually at the moment.

In Baolin Wu's Qigong for Total Wellness book, he recommends to time our breaths with the pulse; 4 beats for inhale, 4 beats for exhale, with no pausing in between. This would mean that for someone with a heart rate of 60 bpm, they will breathe approximately 8 times per minute...and someone with a heart rate of 100 bpm, will breathe approximately 13.3 breaths per minute...according to this method.

I think I did the math correctly: (100 bpm / 60 seconds) x 8 beats per full breath = ~13.3 breaths/minute

In using the Stress Eraser, I want to see if this pulse count is accurate.

In using the Stress Eraser, I want to see if this pulse count is accurate.

yeah I found that between 4:4 and 7:7 is best for me... in fact after a while you can make it longer or shorter and still produce the deep relaxation effect. It's also interesting to notice how if your attention wanders, it's quickly reflected in the graph. the portability and simplicity of the machine is great.

the Wild Divine device measures both Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and Skin Conductance Level (SCL) and quite accurately. The data gathered can then be displayed in a variety of ways (including the games).

I have the Wild Divine Set, all three levels of practice, and have been going thru them from time to time.

I consider them a very good tool...

Hey guys what about the Mind Mirror device? I'm looking for a way to purchase it. Please help if you can.

In Baolin Wu's Qigong for Total Wellness book, he recommends to time our breaths with the pulse; 4 beats for inhale, 4 beats for exhale, with no pausing in between. This would mean that for someone with a heart rate of 60 bpm, they will breathe approximately 8 times per minute...and someone with a heart rate of 100 bpm, will breathe approximately 13.3 breaths per minute...according to this method.
Very interesting, the deepest I can go right now is holding still enough to feel/hear my heartbeat, and then allowing my breath to sort of escape in rhythm with that..

I'm not saying that's a right or wrong practice though - as I haven't really attained any results yet. And until I do, I'm just "experimenting".. :D

Edited by vortex

I like the simplisity and portability of the StressEraser, but I really miss a computer connection to get out the raw data and re-evaluate the graphs, or see how the graphs change while I train my nervoussystem. The device only shows a log of the time and amount of points for each session.

Im still enjoying the effects and have been able to smooth and harmonize my graphs. This gives a very good feeling that is a little different from what I experience with my regular breathing meditation(without biofeedback). I dont know exactly how it is different... Also my breathing while at work has become better. So I really like this gizmo!

Its a good thing to combine different biofeedback systems. I think the skin conductance show a more global or generalized relaxation effect in body, while the HRV shows how to optimize each breath resonating to the nervesystem and increase of parasympathetiv activity.

Im definately getting the NeuroSky also.

Got the stress eraser today.

So apparently what gives me the best score (3) consistently is breathing out for 6-7 counts, then it takes like 2-3 counts of an inhale for another triangle to appear. Pretty far off from a 1:1 ratio for me.

I wonder if it's further off, if it means that you've stored more stress. I was trained to be very alert by the military, and never really figured out how to shut it off completely...so that could be why my scores are like that.

Something interesting this made me think of is Nan Huai-Chin's advice to focus on the exhale during breathing practice, since this stimulates the PNS. I am exhaling quite a bit more.

After achieving 3s for a while, I stopped doing it and experienced a pretty strong buzz.

Awesome!

Got the stress eraser today.

So apparently what gives me the best score (3) consistently is breathing out for 6-7 counts, then it takes like 2-3 counts of an inhale for another triangle to appear. Pretty far off from a 1:1 ratio for me.

I wonder if it's further off, if it means that you've stored more stress. I was trained to be very alert by the military, and never really figured out how to shut it off completely...so that could be why my scores are like that.

Something interesting this made me think of is Nan Huai-Chin's advice to focus on the exhale during breathing practice, since this stimulates the PNS. I am exhaling quite a bit more.

After achieving 3s for a while, I stopped doing it and experienced a pretty strong buzz.

Awesome!

What an awesum coincidence Scott! I got mine delivered today as well. I went in for a refurb, and hope it functions well :lol:

Let me compare notes after a day or so with you. And thanks for writing about it, I was always looking for something like this but didn't know of it till you wrote about it here :)

Reading over the reviews by users and techies, it looks like the emWave from HeartMath is a better anti-stress

gadget. Some of the users on amazon.com compare the two in their reviews.

I looked at that NeuroSky website and I can't what that thang is supposed to do.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

What an awesum coincidence Scott! I got mine delivered today as well.

Gosh I am so envious! Mine is still on its way...

Okay Y'all, a low cost stress reducer for ya.

Go to your local animal shelter and hug a puppy or kitten.

It does wonders!

Peace & Love!

Edit to add: And give a donation when you leave.

Edited by Marblehead

It seems that my ratio has evened out a bit more.

This thing is really great for insomnia. I had been staying up til like 2 am for a long time, and then had to get up at 6 am for a couple of days, so I was forced to go to bed earlier.

Started at 9 pm, and I was passing out at like 75 points. Slept like a baby.

Following the triangles and squares too much doesn't give as good of scores as just breathing naturally. It seems easier to tell what's natural when you've got a machine telling you what to do...then my breath says, "No thanks, Mr. Triangle, I want to keep inhaling!" Just following the body's own rhythm seems to produce the best scores...so really the device isn't needed if you know what feels natural and just follow that.

There's a kinesthetic feeling of integration after you've been getting 3s for a while. Like the brain finally links with the diaphragm. Totally awesome.

for those who don't have money for a stresseraser device:

a cheap heart rate monitor will also show the difference in heartrate between

different breathing methods and lengths.

lower heartrate probably indicates better breathing.

unless your heartrate is going TOO low,

something i'm not sure of whether it can be easily done by changing the breath.

Edited by zazaza

I waas wondering if anyone had gotten heartmath institute's EmWave products and compared it with the stresseraser. According to the reviews it looks like StressEraser is better than EmWave personal.. although the whole EmWave PC system that goes forabout 300-400 bux looks pretty good.

I have the same experience as you, Scotty. Its a great device, especialy for sleep. I sleep like a baby now ;)

But it can never substitute mediation.

for those who don't have money for a stresseraser device:

a cheap heart rate monitor will also show the difference in heartrate between

different breathing methods and lengths.

It is not the same because you dont get the biofeedback. HRV is not heartrate monitoring. Its calculating inter-beat variations. Anyways, if you want to monitor your pulse like that its just as well to take your own pulse. And its free!

Just find your pulse and count 8 beats in-breath and 8 beats out-breath. If you manage to feel when the heartrates slows down and speeds up you can syncronize your out-breath to when it slows down. Then you have your own biological biofeedback. But I suspect the variations are too small to be detected by our regular awareness.

Well I've been really lazy over the holidays...I mean like not doing ANYthing good for myself. :o So it's not been getting full use.

I plan on using it every night before bed, for sure.

I used it Christmas day, when I was feeling anxious (it just happens sometimes for no reason), and after 100 points I was totally cool.

It's really good for insomnia...that's where it shines, I think. I have no worries about staying up til 3 am every night, and having to revert back to 11 pm bedtime...it'll be a piece of cake with the device.

It's definitely a worthwhile investment, because compared to any other device, it actually does something. Unlike "zappers", etc. And you can just get a refurbished one, so it's not that huge of a price.

Interesting you mentioned Nan Huai-Chin because one of his favorite breathing practice is 9 bottle wind breathing. And this practice is extremely uncomfortable and stressful on the body. He says the reason it brings results so fast because it forces the channels/body to open up by force.

I think it was in the Anapana Chi conversations ebook. He kind of just mentions it in passing, like "if you're breathing anyway, you might as well do it this way."

Scotty,

Still using the gadget? They had a big sale and I got one. The manual seemed difficult to follow, but they have some youtube videos. I still didn't get a hang of it. So I breathe in - till whatever point I hear a ping....and then start breathing out - for an extended period of time, which they ask us to keep constant.

I tried meddling with how long to exhale and still can't figure that out lol! I try to do like 100 breaths but after 25, run out of breath. At that point, I start breathing in and out of the mouth and nose like in kriya yoga and then go back to breathing through nose. I somehoe make those points but my back and tummy hurts!

The manual says - no need to breathe deep, just breathe slow. But if you don't breathe deep, how do you breathe slow and extended? I don't get that!

And does someone have any idea how to combine this with dan tien breathing or some meditation? I might as well use this time for that. Some tips on how to use Stress eraser would be totally helpful.

Hey KE,

Yes I still use it from time to time. Should really use it more often.

You shouldn't be running out of breath when you use it. Try to keep your breathing more natural.

Basically, when the triangles appear you can breathe out. When the squares appear you can breathe in, or you can count. I tend to count to like 7 or something, and I count pretty fast.

There's a program on there that lets you know your ideal exhale time. I suggest spending some time with the manual and trying to figure it out more. It's hard to know how to help without being there in person.

Combining it with dantien breathing...I've found that it's better to just breathe naturally without trying to move the breath into a specific area. Then after you're done using the SE, start the dantien breathing. That is what I do.