TheSongsofDistantEarth

The Power of Music

I have never been a fan of heavy metal music, rap (euphemistically known as the fun sounding 'hip hop'),

believing it to stimulate the lower chakras of tribalism and survival in a very negative way. Here's more fascinating evidence for the power of music not to uplift or inspire, but as a means to engage the killing instinct in war:

How the iPod Became an Instrument of War

No surprise, I guess, but it's more evidence that what you feed into your mind has consequences.

I wonder what some of you (Marblehead?) think about this?

sorry, this probably should have been in the 'off-topic' forum...oops

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Hi Guys,

The MODs can move it if they prefer it in a different section. (They need the practice doing that anyhow. Hehehe.)

Ah! Music. The rhythm of the soul. Always has been. Still is. Different soul now-a-days though, I think.

Music has always been a source of intertainment and pleasure. A means of telling a short story. Actually, I recall reading that the Greeks called the stories the story tellers told at festivals songs. Music was later added to the songs.

Things changed in the late 1960's though. Music bacame a vehicle for protest, social and political. It also became a means of expressing one anger at what the artists saw as unfairness in society. Gradually some of this anger turned to hate.

I like a lot of the 'heavy metal' music. But I do not listen to the stuff that is preaching anger and hate. That's just not my style.

However, we all know that music can and does modify our mood. We can listen to gentle music and become laid-back, we can listen to romantic music and what to get up and hug someone, good dance music and we want to dance. Or, we can listen to angry or hate music and become angry and hateful.

Many of us guys who were in Vietnam listened to Psychedelic music because it helped us escape the realities of what was happening over there.

Because music has evolved the way it has I can see where the angry, hate music is of importance to the guys and gals in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think though, that the music is exciting the anger of those who listen to it to be excessively aggressive and this is probably resulting in many unnecessary deaths.

That's about all I have to say. Change happens. Can't stop it. Sometimes it's not for the betterment of humankind.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

Yup, this would be a reason to enjoy a healthier media and information diet.

Anyone here doing something like this? I've pretty much quit TV and when I do watch something, it seriously feels like junk food. But I'm not doing so well with the web.

If I refer back to the other cool thread about ego - then it might be interesting to consider the thoughts that you have as a result of reading, viewing or listening to something as much as any other "homegrown" ones. But I'm sure there are differences of some sort. Haven't worked out what exactly yet;-)

Very good post. I have some experience in this department. I used to be heavily influence by Hip-Hop. I would listen to it nonstop. However, soon it became a burden. Most of what I was listening too, was negative. Most of the lyrics in Hip-Hop community are negative. I then started listening to more electronic, meditation and classical music. I been noticing a difference in the way I approach live and how I communicate with my girlfriend. I do believe that music is definitely a powerful tool. You can use it in any form. If you know what you are specifically going for, it could benefit you.

Music is a complicated issue for me, especially since I have a great deal of love for punk, hardcore, oi!, and metal. It's a love/hate relationship really. There's alot of stuff out there that, lyrically, projects a very positive message in the form of righteous indignation and a sort of never give in attitude towards that which might bring you down. On the other hand, the aggressive music itself grates on the nerves, brings tension and can indeed induce one to be more angry.

A fellow I recently began communicating with, who has a similar background in punk/hardcore and metal music, referred to much of modern popular(and underground) music in a novel way that I feel is pretty close to the mark. He referred to it as an allergic reaction to the world we live in and especially the state of our inner beings. Music can be transformative, positively and negatively, and the question is how much is too much and how much is something caustic and what makes it caustic? Do you want to listen to heavy metal that might convey a, for instance, radical environmentalist message? If so, how often and for how long? And how do you counter act any potential negative effects the anger inducing element of it might have? I usually counteract it with reggae and ska, and Sufi-inspired music. Preferably in larger doses than the metal.