Sign in to follow this  
Pax

The Three Jewels in Daoism

The three jewels in Daoism as I understand them are: Compassion, Moderation and Humility.

As I've said before, I'm very new to the path and am striving diligently to learn and live the basics. I find the three jewels a wonderful place to start as the represent following the middle way so well.

I was wondering how my fellow bums feel about them, do they matter to you, do you actively contemplate them as you move through your day, and in your interactions with others?

The three jewels in Daoism as I understand them are: Compassion, Moderation and Humility.

As I've said before, I'm very new to the path and am striving diligently to learn and live the basics. I find the three jewels a wonderful place to start as the represent following the middle way so well.

I was wondering how my fellow bums feel about them, do they matter to you, do you actively contemplate them as you move through your day, and in your interactions with others?

Hi Pax,

Yep. Those are the three treasures of Taoism. And it is my opinion that if one can live their life with those treasures as the guides for all their thoughts and actions, either privately or with one's interactions with others one will find peace and contentment.

It is my opinion that if one can hold to these three treasures in their thoughts and deeds one can forget everything else. That's how important I think they are.

Peace & Love!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Marblehead.

I've been finding myself being more and more mindful as I move through my day, someone will be talking out their ass and instead of my usual impulse to call them on it, I'm letting it go. Thinking more along the lines of "does this really matter, my being right OR even more...letting them know they're wrong". Showing more compassion and judging less make for a much more peaceful coexistence.

I'm curious, if others feel the importance of these treasures, how do you go about manifesting them in daily life?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Marblehead.

I've been finding myself being more and more mindful as I move through my day, someone will be talking out their ass and instead of my usual impulse to call them on it, I'm letting it go. Thinking more along the lines of "does this really matter, my being right OR even more...letting them know they're wrong". Showing more compassion and judging less make for a much more peaceful coexistence.

I'm curious, if others feel the importance of these treasures, how do you go about manifesting them in daily life?

Hi Pax,

I'm not going to respond to your question at the moment as I know there are a number of active members here who can speak very well to this subject.

I would like to speak to something you said though.

... someone will be talking out their ass and instead of my usual impulse to call them on it, I'm letting it go.

Yes, this is good in most cases. However, if you feel that what the person is saying might be taken as truth by someone you care about then I think the treasure of "moderation" would apply here if you decided to 'correct' the person stating the inaccurate information. If what they are saying doesn't change anything then I would agree - let them blow their hot air.

Peace & Love!

I understand what you're saying about correcting an untruth...I'd just do it with a little less "fanfare" these days. :D

I understand what you're saying about correcting an untruth...I'd just do it with a little less "fanfare" these days. :D

:)

Peace & Love!

These are achievements.

If one has achieved a level of naturalness such achievements will flow from you in a natural way.

IMO if you hold up concepts as things you must do this is a level of un naturalness.

Proper practice leads to compassion, moderation and humility, it just happens naturally.

It should also enable you to be natural when interacting with a person who is being an Ass. Not overreacting, nor unatturally constraining your actions, but responding appropriately to the moment.

Therefore my answer is no I don't actively contemplate them.

Craig

Thanks Craig, that's a very different view from my own...I'll have to give it further thought.

Sign in to follow this