Gerard

Zhan Zhuang Standing information

This article on standing posture exercise to create "Whole Body Movement" calls it an INVERTED PYRAMID which is the opposite of the full-lotus pyramid.... and also that subconsciously standing is not motionless but a pendulum that increases in power as the nervous system has to constantly adjust to maintain balance....

http://getfitblog.biz/effects-of-whole-bod...tic-perception/

(wuji) as the center of gravity sinks an inverted pryamid (which in 3-dimentions has 4 vertices) forms and is experienced as root or grounding. it is intersected by a regular tetrahedron to form a double tetrahedron.

I noticed that standing and making small internal movements could kind of 'direct' the vibration. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fascia network.

Yes, absolutely! It helps release fascial restrictions.

I also have been playing around to direct the vibration with just small movements. But I have never had inspiration to use my machine over longer periods of time. Yet... Maybe I got some inspiration now ;)

heh at the higher settings, certain motions induce (just kinesthetic, nothing special) constructively amplifying waves, some are uncomfortable - but certain configurations of vib, posture, movement are good for a knot or something.

ZtLipqVligY

I have a zapper connected to two copper plates and I practice zhan zhuang on the plates. I feel the zapper charges the meridians with Yin Qi (electricity) but I think the best Yin Qi quality is when practicing directly on the ground outside in nature. I am using the zapper because outside is too cold, and I am practicing inside and the Yin Qi of the earth is insulated by the walls and floor.

Soccer players sometimes practice a "holding-your-balls"-posture, usually standing in a row. But I think they don't try to build up energy, but to keep excessive energy away from the sacral chakra.

I can ANSWER This! haha. Chunyi Lin trained in standing meditation yang "thunder palms" for 2 hours a day nonstop, each day, for several weeks -- at Shaolin Temple I think. He teaches this "thunder palm" standing meditation in the Level 1 !! -- There's also the standing yin sword fingers AND the standing tree or pole position with hands focused around the lower tan tien. These standing exercises are also included in the moving standing exercises -- so like modules you take part of the moving exercise and turn it into a static standing meditation.

Chunyi Lin states that at beginning there should be twice to three times more standing active exercise compared to sitting passive meditation. But as you move into FULL-LOTUS (not just half) then the ratio can be reversed. Chunyi Lin states 20 minutes of full-lotus is worth 4 hours of any other practice. Standing with knees bent and hands in yin-yang feedback for 20 minutes is one thing - sitting in full-lotus for 20 minutes is another. It depends on how "steep" the full-lotus is -- if the ankles are fully on the thighs -- with the feet facing up and beyond the thighs -- just like with standing meditation the more bent your knees are the "steeper" or stronger the amplitude of the practice.

The standing active exercise activates the chi -- "cultivating" it into the body so that the chi can be emitted from the hands -- while the passive sitting meditation builds up the chi. That's why at the end of sitting Yan Xin meditation the chi must be CULTIVATED by active exercises or else the harvest of chi is not used -- not stored in the body -- and just gets "lost" -- transmitted back out of the body.

It's good, better and best since the harmonic resonance to create free energy from consciousness enables healing others as you heal yourself as well. Of course the blockages of emotion, nutrition and environment can be very deep since the West is the opposite of the natural tai-chi healing....

So, standing after sitting, eh? What about any moving qigong? After standing? The general continuum moving from compact and still to expanded and moving?

You start out doing standing active exercises 3 times more than sitting exercises. So you do the standing, along with the 1/2 hour of self-concentration in half-lotus or full-lotus and then the 1/2 hour of small universe. Then more standing.

For standing you can do just the thunder palms or the sword fingers with your knees bent -- no moving. You can do that for just half hour and then do the moving exercise for 1/2 hour.

Then when you sit in full-lotus after the third eye opens you can sit as long as you want as long as there's a continuous intake of jing energy, through the mutual energy exchanges. This is dual cultivation but it's limited because after the heart chakra opens up then the energy is too intense to exchange in public. So then you can do long-distance 3rd eye energy exchange through walls, ceilings or more.

So, standing after sitting, eh? What about any moving qigong? After standing? The general continuum moving from compact and still to expanded and moving?

Edited by drewhempel

Greetings..

Standing? Sitting? Meditation is not dependent on 'form', in fact the adherance to form is contrary to Pure Clarity..

Be well..

Greetings..

Standing? Sitting? Meditation is not dependent on 'form', in fact the adherance to form is contrary to Pure Clarity..

Be well..

Pure meditation, seems something like that was tried at Shaolin Temple before Damo arrived?

Wuji standing meditation is the alignment between heaven and earth and has purpose on many different levels. Practice of form based exercises is a means to an end and attachment of course would hinder any real advancement.

Greetings..

Hi Baguakid: I do note the distinction between 'meditation' and 'discipline', and i find a balance of the two to be beneficial.. It seems Shaolin were not very 'balanced' before Damo.. I particularly like your presentation of 'form'..

Be well..

feeling the need to bump up a good old days thread :wub:

really miss the quality of such treads

Glad you did. I just added ZZ to my practice (with a sitting component to follow brief standing),,,,,,yowsa! That's a seriously powerful technique. Thank you.

i've just begun training, don't think i can offer much advice, xept fo finding a kunfu/wushu instructor to help you with this. alot of.schools have different theory and approach, sometimes contradictory. pick one and.stick with it.

good luck;-)

i've just begun training, don't think i can offer much advice, xept fo finding a kunfu/wushu instructor to help you with this. alot of.schools have different theory and approach, sometimes contradictory. pick one and.stick with it.

good luck;-)

Ah, I see! Well, since we're both new at, good luck to you as well.

On 8/13/2012 at 2:34 PM, 宁 said:

Re-bump! Yes, I think we need this more than ever today. I'll just add that when I get contentious and start to look at others and blame them for the way I feel I know it's time to turn the focus around, look at myself, and start doing more inner work.

good thread. I want to ask you something @Gerard. After more than 10 years, how is your zhan zhuang now? are you able to do it a long time in a relaxed way, and getting all the benefits? For me it is a very difficult exercise.

But again, i put the question of this other thread: is it better than walking? is it better than other kinds of exercises?

Edited by Toni

Back when the forum wasn’t all political sniping . 

Personally i love standing meditation. In fact if a person in say the us was interested in meditation I’d probably recd zhan zhuang to start with before doing any sitting.  Will help bring people out of their heads for sure.

6 hours ago, bax44 said:

Back when the forum wasn’t all political sniping . 

Personally i love standing meditation. In fact if a person in say the us was interested in meditation I’d probably recd zhan zhuang to start with before doing any sitting.  Will help bring people out of their heads for sure.

Strictly speaking from a Xin Yi perspective, yes, standing is good, but what tends to be the problem is that people add things to just standing, such as focusing on the LDT or weird breathing, and these end up causing problems for people that aren't easily perceptible by beginners. 

• Like 1

Speaking from another perspective, you can add things to the standing, we just have to argue what we add and if it is useful. 

Some traditions add micro movements, but that is not compatable with what I do. 

I add mudras, and mudras correllate to unfolding processes which I place my awareness on. 

One of these processes require a change in breathing pattern in a way that is similar to reverse breathing, but it comes more natural (to me) than the reverse breathing I was taught when I had a short Xing Yi-fling half a lifetime ago. 

But I see Earl Greys point, it is easy to add artificial colors and flavors to the mix hoping it will "pop". 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Speaking from another perspective, you can add things to the standing, we just have to argue what we add and if it is useful. 

100% true. Though what is useful varies from school to school and system to system, as well as the individual's level of development.

Some traditions add micro movements, but that is not compatable with what I do. 

Yes, some traditions.

But I see Earl Greys point, it is easy to add artificial colors and flavors to the mix hoping it will "pop". 

When people start adding Reiki or cultivate at the MDT rather than the LDT, then I roll my eyes. My friend in Germany told me when he had everyone cultivate in the LDT area after standing, some yogic Reiki angel speaker blah blah said the best place for her was the MDT and the LDT was bad blah blah...and he just said, "Okay..." and didn't bother correcting her, but also didn't need to invite her again because she was already a "master" in her mind. 

• Like 3

In zhan zhuang do u think it is good to pull shoulders a little bit back? Some recommend it bc many people have rounded shoulders and bad posture habits