TheSongsofDistantEarth

Is Capoeira the Supreme Martial Art?

Mointu ben!

If I can listen to samba funk and hang out with Brazilian folks while watching these guys do their thing, I'm in!

Great clip - I haven't seen the movie yet but it might be worth watching.

Edited by steve f

:lol: that was from a movie.

And capoeira...... well I don't have the body type to do it, so I can't comment. Train hard in what you like.

he he. yeah, I know it was from a movie, but I'm just tryin' to lighten things up a little bit around here as we bums gather for some warmth around that burning trashcan in the back alley...I do crack up every time I watch it, tho!

:P

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Judge for yourselves:

o2VwnBU1-iU

Well that was fake. But this is a real Capoeira vs MMA fight....

-rD38hvYOvc

The reality is, it's the fighter that makes the art. Every art has it's pros and cons and nothing is absolute. Although it's completely unrelated I also wanted to post this vid of a smokin hot Capoeira lady that know how to samba. I would love to add some of this to my routine... *phew*

4Mf_PTB8juc

Edited by Biff

Video #1: guy clocked him good. How does capoeira do if it gets down to grappling?

Video #2: O.....M.......G! I have not seen hip pelvis action like that ever....ev-uh...I think I blushed just watching that. :wub:

Although it's completely unrelated I also wanted to post this vid of a smokin hot Capoeira lady that know how to samba. I would love to add some of this to my routine... *phew*

Woooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...................................

Real Capoeria check out Dennis Newsome.

That is REAL FIGHTING.

that samba girl however is VERY GOOD! But in other ways. :P

Edited by Vajrasattva

Capoeira is a great dance but when it comes to real world fights it will not stand up against Brazillian Jiu Jitsu or MMA guys, it will end quick and the Capoeira guy will be in the emergency room...

At the minimum, this art can be a great adjunct to any agility program, expanding a lot of possibilities while having a lot of fun. Keep in mind, in the roda, all movement is improvised, flow is where it's at.

For some real capoeira (the actual art), check these clips:

Cabello and Glauber - a beautiful game

Cabello and Noa

Cambridge roda

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/v...p?v=35587226225

Lateef Crowder and Tony Jaa - no improvisation here, but still very entertaining choreography

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0nEHEWGdA

Cheers,

R

More about how people are making fun of this Brazilian dance:

Hahahahaha.

:D

I can't say I think Capoeira is the supreme Martial Art, then again I wouldn't say any other is either.

It is a beautiful art though, the interesting thing about the art is the form of practice, the basic jenga movement is supposed to represent the tide coming in and then going out on the beach. Practice over time creates a rather interesting flexible change in the mind and use of the techniques.

There is what is called 'regional Capoeira' which stripped away the central dance theme and teaches more in an A+b=C kind of usual way.

I really enjoyed doing this art, but for most people it would be a difficult art to apply in many situations. It requires serious amounts of balance and is hard on the wrists. A lot of the other students in my class had real trouble with it. Especially hard if your body is of the larger variety, getting down on your wrists and holding your leg in the air for extended periods of time, not so many people can hack it.....having said that a lot of Brazillians can! My teacher was a real drill sergeant, techniques over and over again. Great fun.

If you have some other Martial Arts experience it's easier to learn and understand and therefore, apply this art in actual usage. Kind of like learning Monkey or drunken form gong fu, it is a higher level in some ways as it requires a lot of flexibility and some previous Martial knowledge is needed in order to actually make it work well. Having said that there are plenty of stories of masters using it and being successful with it.

They do have an inner mysteries component too by the way, I have no idea what it's composed of, I only did it for a couple of years. For that you have to become a bona-fide 'disciple'.

Capoeira needs a lot of room, would not work in closed/tight spaces (elevator, for instance), or grappling. It also seems to me that the fighter is involved with his balletics a lot and may allow the opponent an opportunity for sudden strike...like in the 'joke' video at the beginning of this thread. There is a point to the joke, apparently.

Capoeira needs a lot of room, would not work in closed/tight spaces (elevator, for instance), or grappling. It also seems to me that the fighter is involved with his balletics a lot and may allow the opponent an opportunity for sudden strike em ..like in the 'joke' video at the beginning of this thread. There is a point to the joke, apparently.

Ya, that is one of the problems with it, once someone closes the distance it is often rather easy to shut one of them down if they don't have space to move. I believe 'regional capoeira' does use groundwork, however, I may be wrong on that, it's a long time ago I remember possibly reading words to that effect, for sure it uses takedowns as in throws though.

Still, it's a lovely art, but it's wise to remember they often focus on the aesthetic, it is after all part dance nowadays. I have to say, if you have studied some kind of martial art it's well worth looking in to.

wesley snipes does/did(?) regional, 10th dan apparently.

Yep, I view this art as just a way of body conditioning and can certainly add to your movement repertoire - some of the most interesting groundwork I've seen has been with capoeira angola (first 2 clips I posted are examples), the players usually spend most of their time on all fours, which in itself is a great workout.

Some of the best examples of longevity and optimization of physical potential I've also seen in older players (such as Nestor Capoeira, in his 70's, other teachers in their 40's and 50's that can still do gymnastic moves), all without any neigong, just physical conditioning - you can also see this in dancers.

Although the art has deeper spiritual aspects, these are mostly spiritual practices, such as candomble, which involve connection with deities such as the Orishas. Not all players necessarily participate in these aspects.

R

Ya, that is one of the problems with it, once someone closes the distance it is often rather easy to shut one of them down if they don't have space to move. I believe 'regional capoeira' does use groundwork, however, I may be wrong on that, it's a long time ago I remember possibly reading words to that effect, for sure it uses takedowns as in throws though.

Still, it's a lovely art, but it's wise to remember they often focus on the aesthetic, it is after all part dance nowadays. I have to say, if you have studied some kind of martial art it's well worth looking in to.

wesley snipes does/did(?) regional, 10th dan apparently.

Again ...

DENNIS NEWSOM

Real capoeria & 52 Blocks.

I think we're on a different page Vaj.

Capoeira is Capoeira, no matter the roots or what it once might have looked like or been(in Africa)it was developed in Brazil(with the dance aspect)and so was called Capoeira. People are adding stuff or taking away stuff all the time, doesn't make it 'real' just because they want it to be or because they say it is.

Some people say breakdance came from Capoeira, others that breakdance has influenced Capoeira greatly. Who cares, everyone knows what breakdance is and what Capoeira is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailhouse_rock_(fighting_style)

Double true that Ninpo

Some of the best players I've seen, especially angoleiros, almost appear like they are stumbling around, while controlling the game the whole time.

Capoeira is capoeira, I also agree. I think some people forget that it is an art and game first, it evolved to give an oppressed people an outlet and keep their spirit alive - capoeira is not just about the movements and isn't complete until you also learn singing, playing the instruments, as well as all the other formalities. Movement and beauty. Of course, I'm in this art to have fun and keep myself agile, not to become a soldier.

There are offshoots that have tried to make this about "fighting" (the really good players can make a lot of the moves work, but if they are taken down, it's all about grappling), but this is not what it's about - I've been around some ugly rodas where fighting has erupted, this is when people let their emotions get the best of them (forgetting this is a game) and it devolved into simple human violence, which is never pretty.

R

PS Daochild, keep in mind this thread was started as a light hearted joke :)

If you have some other Martial Arts experience it's easier to learn and understand and therefore, apply this art in actual usage. Kind of like learning Monkey or drunken form gong fu, it is a higher level in some ways as it requires a lot of flexibility and some previous Martial knowledge is needed in order to actually make it work well. Having said that there are plenty of stories of masters using it and being successful with it.

Edited by rsalazar

Cardiovascular wise? Ginga for 5 minutes! I can't

History wise, read the Nestor Capoeria books.

I find lots of Ninja parallels

I find the "Spirit of the thing itself" appealing in and of itself

E mail response from a fellow music lover who was kind enough to

translate.

hi robert,

hope you're doing great!

don't know much about 'capoeira' but i'll try to give a little help.

usually they sing traditional songs repeating the chorus and adding/naming their fellas and/or places (improvisation). at same point, in that video, you can note the singer naming/referring to the guy at his side.

they are singing:

Madeira do Jataí, Ipê, Cambuatá, Berimbau, Massaranduba,

Quero ver quem vai buscar

Antes das seis horas,

Antes do dia clarear

Quero ver pedir licença

Para na roda entrar, dá licença

Dá licença aí, dá licença á

Dá licença aí, dá licença á

Vou pegar minha berimba

E meu berimbau armar

Pra tocar com 'Seu' Elias

na roda do ?

Dá licença aí, dá licença a

Vou pegar minha berimba

E meu berimbau armar

Pra tocar com o Rapadura

na roda do Carará

Vou pegar minha berimba

E meu berimbau armar

Pra tocar com 'Seu' Cavalo

na roda do Paraná

don't know if you know portuguese so...

Jataí, Ipê, Cambuatá, Berimbau, Massaranduba - kind of woods, probably to make the berimbau.

'Seu' is for Sr (senhor) - Mr. (Mister). for example, Seu Jorge means Mr. Jorge

'Rapadura' is, in the context, a fella's nickname. Rapadura is a product derived from sugarcane.

Seu Cavalo: another fella's nickname - Mr Horse... haha

and the 'original' (probably, because it's a 'folkloric' song) song is:

Dá Licença

Madeira de Jataí, Ipê, Cambuatá, Beriba, Massaranduba,

Quero ver quem vai chegar

Antes das seis horas,

Antes do dia clarear

Quero ver pedir licença

Para na roda entrar, dá licença

Dá licença é, dá licença a

E vou pegar minha biriba

Pro meu berimbau armar

Pra jogar a capoeira

De Angola e Regional, da licença...

A roda já ta formada

Não tem hora de acabar

Peça a benção a Deus do céu para na mata entrar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

http://capoeira-cantigas.blog..om/search/label/Capoeira%20CD

hope it helps

and you have a nice day in chicago. smile1.gif

gisele

Obrigado from Chicago,

Robert

Edited by sifusufi

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the ultimate martial art and it has been proven time and time again. Most MA's are garbage and they never train with live resistance, all BJJ techniques are done against resisting opponents in training during wrestling. Look what happened to Fedor recently in MMA, Werdum submitted him with a triangle choke.

Capoeira is good for fitness and looks cool but in the real world its not going to work, its all about MMA, have good muay thai or boxing and mix it with either BJJ, Judo or wresting and you have the supreme MA.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the ultimate martial art and it has been proven time and time again. Most MA's are garbage and they never train with live resistance, all BJJ techniques are done against resisting opponents in training during wrestling. Look what happened to Fedor recently in MMA, Werdum submitted him with a triangle choke.

Capoeira is good for fitness and looks cool but in the real world its not going to work, its all about MMA, have good muay thai or boxing and mix it with either BJJ, Judo or wresting and you have the supreme MA.

Only in the cage. Generally, on the street the man with the gun has the superior art.

Capoeria players used to fight with razor blades between their toes ..?? read that some where... Facing a guy holding a knife is a fast way of getting realistic about martial arts.Really don't give a dam about cage fighting, never go to ground on the street never, never ever.