Mal

Kunlun Book

So I noticed the colour Kunlun book on lulu is now $39.95.

I remember Chris saying they were not making any money on the colour one and had priced it too low expecting most people to go for the black and white version.

I'd like to save money but I like the field of sunflowers in colour :D

(I note the David Verdesi thread is back, what other cool old topics can we debate)

I got the non-colored kunlun book. Still very interesting. The Kunlun method itself seemed pretty good, but the other practices didn't seem so great to me.

The Kunlun 100 Days celibacy seemed kind of dangerous.... "orgasm while pressing down on the perineum, do this for 100 days. After that, ejaculate. If the semen is red or brown, go see a doctor right away!"

......... so putting that in there kind of made me seriously question it a bit. Same with some other opening the heart practice (there's a thread on it).... it was basically holding your breath until you "felt the bliss"..... which to me sounded like "wait 'till your body starts going into shock for lack of oxygen".....

Those were really my only two main concerns with it. Everything else seemed pretty cool, but nothing that couldn't be found in another system, and nothing that didn't have some sort of similar practice in another system. But maybe I'm just ignorant of some of the finer points to the related practices.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I like how the upgraded book is not as "out there" as the original book. A few nice edits.

I liked the standing practices but have not that done much red sun, think I'm too scared to really let go.

Also not a fan of 100 days retention due to the various retention related issues that crop up here on TTB.

But level 1 Kunlun is still a blast and such a fun practice. Shame it takes an hour. I originally started with 20 min but that just feels so short now.

Mal,

Thank you for bringing this topic up for discussion. I recently got the upgraded book and read up through the Level 1 exercise, keeping in mind that one should condition theirself before Level 2. For once I followed instructions! Still very much in beginning studies.

That being said, my question to you or anyone else would be, did you follow the advice to abandon all other methods while practicing Kunlun?

My conflicts with this are pretty simple. For one, I utilize a method for breathing that I learned from the Bruce Frantzis DVD, Longevity Breathing. I learned about "belly breathing" awhile back, but Bruce's "technique" really helped me refine my breathing, both in "energy/meditative" and "normal" states during the day.... Additionally, I came from a background of Christianity to Agnostic (didn't really give a shit) to New Age to "a personal philosophy", of which has Taoism "defined" a great deal of what I currently resonate with and "explained" some of my experiences, but there is much outside of Taoism that I adhere to. That being said, the "openness" of the kunlun practice seems easy to follow and build upon.

Back to the question, I welcome anyone's opinion or experiences while practicing kunlun, and if they "let go of previous techniques" or integrated the good aspects of kunlun into their individual practice?

Thanks much for advice/input,

Art

Longevity breathing is absolutely not a problem, and in fact, it's necessary to practice in order to advance in your practice and also to avoid "qi sickness".

I have the color kunlun book. I will probably pick it up the next time I drop by my Grandma's house to pick up my winter stuff. I never did the practice, I just wanted to read the book. At that time sitting for an hour was out of the question...after KAP sitting for an hour is just a matter of if I want to wake up early or not take a nap after class before I start studying.

I'm glad the Kunlun crowd is happy with their practice. I did not try Kunlun because I was really into something else and realized I had no clue how to do their practices without a guide. I'm pretty pleased to learn that KAP1 has most of the advanced practices from that other system that I probably would've had to fly around the world to learn from personal teacher after a few years of practicing the basic meditation.

If you know the practice, how about donating money to some good causes? :)

http://www.heifer.org/

Weird I actually brought someone 1/2 a goat as a birthday present from there. It's a great idea but personally I like http://www.hollows.org.au/ But I still need to replace my book too :D

re: stopping other practices I think IIRC it was o.k. to do things that didn't consciously direct energy. Personally I did Tai Chi and Kung Fu while I practicing Kunlun for a year.

I practice longevity breathing, its awesome. Do it until your mind no longer has to regulate the action - "Regulating without regulating." Although, that isnt really focused on quite as much when I do Kunlun1&2, but the benefits of a good longevity breathing practice will carry over to most any other practice you do, under the surface it happens automatically if you're in good practice. If you can do a decent job keeping your awareness on both, then they feed each other.

I dont stick to the one hour - I do as much k1 as I feel necessary at the time, and if I'm feeling proper then k2 afterwards. I dont even do it every day - although, I do my longevity breathing every day. The kunlun practices are tools in my bag, not the entire meal. I do more red phoenix 1 & 2 than I do kunlun 1 & 2.

How about the Kunlun "Yaya's"? Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

You probably had to be there to understand the Yeah Yeah!

My most powerful kunlun teaching is Yeah Yeah!

See what I mean Yeah Yeah

Would You quit Yeah Yeah

Arrgh I get Yeah Yeah