Sign in to follow this  
tumoessence

Chia's Tao yin practice

Has any body had experience with Chia's Tao Yin exercises? They look really effective in getting to the core of the body and wonder how they compare to combat conditioning or Sonnon's work?

From what I've seen of the stretches recommended by Chia in his Morning Meditation DVD, it is practically identical to Sonnon's Warrior Wellness, although Chia didn't spend time on the neck or shoulders.

It did occur to me that one of them copied the other, but I'm sure it's just coincidence.

-Yoda

Has any body had experience with Chia's Tao Yin exercises?  They look really effective in getting to the core of the body and wonder how they compare to combat conditioning or Sonnon's work?

9514[/snapback]

I have a copy, probably the first generation, of Chia's Tao in.

I really like it, and should probably practice it once in a while.

I cannot compare to Sonnon's work.

My version of the video has a date of 1994 on it, so it's been around for awhile.

I would recommend it, mostly for the basic practice routine on the first of two tapes.

From my recollection on the second tape he goes into painful detail (as is typical of him) which seems unnecessary. Just practice the set on the first tape which is pretty self explanatory.

I think I'll go back to it myself.

Craig

Has any body had experience with Chia's Tao Yin exercises?  They look really effective in getting to the core of the body..

There are several parts to Tao Yin, and the part that I've had experience with is focusing on the psoas muscle. Really, really interesting work. Goes deep deep into the tan tien; the psoas is hooked into all sorts of really deep emotional and core energy. The Tao Yin video is really excellent.. much much easier to study & practice from than the book. Well worth the $.

I got rid of my vhs player, and so gave away my Tao Yin tapes.. gotta order the dvd's.

There are several parts to Tao Yin, and the part that I've had experience with is focusing on the psoas muscle.  Really, really interesting work.  Goes deep deep into the tan tien; the psoas is hooked into all sorts of really deep emotional and core energy.  The Tao Yin video is really excellent.. much much easier to study & practice from than the book.  Well worth the $.

I got rid of my vhs player, and so gave away my Tao Yin tapes.. gotta order the dvd's.

9520[/snapback]

In my own practice of taoist yoga, it feels like the psoas, for men, is intimately connected with Yang energy in the body, and much more vunerable to energetic "decay" than for women. Women are much more flexible than men due to this fact. It is not only the anatomic shape of the pelvis/hips, but that our Yang chi fluctuates alot more.

Also, Dao yin has very little in common with Yoga, done properly. This is connected with how the poses should be done. There should be an energetic melting from the Dan tian, istead of muscle stretching connected with breath. Actually breath is not important in these practices. Done correctly, Dao Yin softens the joints, making them smaller. In Yoga, alot of experienced practitioners suffer from big joints, because the joints must compensate for increased muscle tension.

If done correctly, the poses should also have an inherent restful quality, replenishing the chi, and "water the plant" instead of working out. There is no need for rest afterwards. Excellent preparation for meditation.

h

Hagar.

Thanks for your input. I found it really interesting, and thought it might help me with my old joints after twenty six years in construction and still counting.

I had never heard that discription of yoga, but it makes a lot of sense. I llike the idea of psoas work as well that Trunk had mentioned. Karin Sorvik has a dvd of Tao Yin as well. I think I'll check that one out since Chia's is not available.

My first experince with taoyin was with Karin Sorvik a couple of years ago. We did a 2 hour session and wow it was really powerful. If you can keep up with her doing this stuff for that long you have stronger tendons than i do! What we did was pretty much right out of chia's cosmic healing book.

I can see how it is a useful balancing modality as well as very healing for the tendons. My hands were releasing a lot of energy for a week afterward. I'm sure her dvd would be a good workout.

Probably the best thing that comes from this practice for me is there is no faking just how flexable or how strong your tendons are.

peace ;-)

I must admit that I haven't practiced Chia's Dao Yin, and do not know how his emphasis is.

But the basic focus in Dao Yin is restorative. And holding the poses is a chikung practice with a melting intention, creating a melting, opening, transformative effect. Often, filling the joints with energy from the hands create an additional dimension in practice.

Not so much toning, and strengthening as creating light and space. Thus, this is good for damaged joints and ligaments, or nervoussystem, as the body, like a plant gets "water" by these exercises.

Yoga often has a tendency to become a mechanical, stretching practice, with obvious musculare and cardiovascular benefits. But it does not go deep in the tissue, and only works with the "wind" energy in the body.

h

hagar, very interesting. Can you explain your avatar?

I enjoy tao in and have done Karen's as well. I would recommend seeing chias before karen's because she does not explain much. The book is AWESOME! Empty force is explained along with pulsing...soooo much. I feel like people who do yoga are great and have a lot of energy but they are not nearly as balanced a practitioner of tao in...but who practices tao in? Not many! Must take the principles from it, tendons, psoas, relaxation, meridians, animals, sooo much goodness in that book! The older version has color in the art, awesome art!

hagar, very interesting. Can you explain your avatar?

I enjoy tao in and have done Karen's as well. I would recommend seeing chias before karen's because she does not explain much. The book is AWESOME! Empty force is explained along with pulsing...soooo much. I feel like people who do yoga are great and have a lot of energy but they are not nearly as balanced a practitioner of tao in...but who practices tao in? Not many! Must take the principles from it, tendons, psoas, relaxation, meridians, animals, sooo much goodness in that book! The older version has color in the art, awesome art!

9702[/snapback]

The avatar basically explains itself doesn't it? =)

If you are familiar with Hagar the Horrible, he really just wants to relax and enjoy life.

When I played american football in the states I got the name due to my lack of understanding good tackle etiquette. Let's just say I had a hard time understanding the rules in the beginning...

The HT dao yin forms is unfamiliar to me, but the form I do emphasizes opening the extraordinary channels, and cavities. It is said to open the third eye after some time, supporting the meditation practice. But basically, I find the poses very restful and rejuvinating, especially for the organs.

h

Sign in to follow this